Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dosing - after putting out on grass

• 10-04-2021 7:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

We have a 10 month old heifer that I just left out on grass. Plan is to sell her at end of month before any issues with neighbours bull breaking in.
    Should I dose her? Trying to make her come on as much as possible with grass and finisher.

Have weanling bulls that I will put out to grass in couple of months. I plan to sell these after beep scheme and once they get some post silage grass. Would these benefit from worm dosing regularly?

We did all cattle before they went into shed for fluke and worms. Then did liceban every few months.
    What is the best way of doing around 8 to 10 cows and calves once they come out of the slatted shed.
    In years gone by I just dosed them when they were looking poorly, but surely preventative is better than being reactive.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭50HX

Wouldn't dose out of the shed

She won't do a whole lota weight gain going to grass now by the time she readjusts to grass

Dungannon samples will tell you if cows need to be done or not

Over dosing and blanket dosing is leading to resistance issues & the cost as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Complete waste of money. If they are in the shed for the last few months then the lifecycle of fluke,Ostertagia and other roundworms has been broken. It'll take 6 weeks for the cycle again hence why you would dose 5 weeks after putting out to grass

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishguy19772

Thanks.

I will wait five or six weeks so before dosing.

Ah okay heifer won't come on much so but at least she will clean up a little and grow hair back where she was rubbing on feed barrier.

How long before they would benefit from being out on grass. I was thinking sooner rather than later be better time going to mart as not as busy as later months as well as less risk going in calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭50HX

She will look better for sale alright

I generally don't count the first 2 weeks to grass for weight gain

Keep her on ration when outside and she'll be fine for sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

God, I had the cattle in the yard yesterday and noticed one of my Nov born calves had licked two bald patches on her side. She had not being thriving for a while, poor coat etc.
    I did her with Noromectin pouron. Normally wouldn't do this time of year. Don't know if I did her in the house for lice or not.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
Advertisement