Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling lost / Help Advice what to do

Options
  • 09-04-2021 10:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi I'm stuck between going to travel for a few months to a year or starting a apprenticeship
    I'm 30 soon. It's all getting to me and when I think about what I should have done makes me  angry, my mind is my worse enemy I over think to much and worry and just think it's to late to travel and I have let myself down, just go and do apprenticeship get a house and settle down.

Thinking back I could have  traveled 2 or 3 years ago but didnt. Now I know I want a career change and to do a apprenticeship in the long run it's worth it but I feel I have to travel before I do it which is hard due to the pendemic , or else wait 4 years until I'm finished apprenticeship to travel which by that age I thought I would have a house and a child  like alot of my friends have.  They didnt travel anywhere and have kids now working away towards getting a house .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Maybe hang in there until travel is easier? Potentially next year?
    Then do your apprenticeship after. If you have a desire to travel just do it, don’t be worrying about houses and wives and kids yet you are only 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Assuming your plans aren’t curtailed by COVID I’d say go travel.

If they are can you do year 1 of the apprenticeship, take a year off to travel and then resume Year 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I would start applying for apprenticeships and see what's around. At the moment there are delays with apprenticeships so don't rely on it being only four years, you could be waiting for a while for college placements. I don't want what apprenticeship you have I'm mind but I think it's probably easier to do when you are younger and if you want to work when travelling it will be much easier with qualifications.

Frankly there are a lot more immediate things that you need to resolve before you start thinking about getting a house and it's more complicated than clear cut choice between travel and apprenticeship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭FrankieB29

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Assuming your plans aren’t curtailed by COVID I’d say go travel.

If they are can you do year 1 of the apprenticeship, take a year off to travel and then resume Year 2?

I was thinking the same as the way travelling is at the moment . Makes sense to at least start apprenticeship

YellowLead wrote: »
    Maybe hang in there until travel is easier? Potentially next year?
    Then do your apprenticeship after. If you have a desire to travel just do it, don’t be worrying about houses and wives and kids yet you are only 30.

Just dont want to waist another year hopeing will be able to travel I'm with my parnter a few years now I think she would like kids by the time shes 30 shes 26 now . I'm not worried to much about houses as we will be building so wont need a massive mortgage towards a house especially in dublin .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

FrankieB29 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same as the way travelling is at the moment . Makes sense to at least start apprenticeship

Exactly, at least then you’re still moving towards your end goal of changing career.

I’d imagine part of the stress your feeling is that you’re running out of time so by starting the apprenticeship that feeding should dissipate a little.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I would start applying for apprenticeships and see what's around. At the moment there are delays with apprenticeships so don't rely on it being only four years, you could be waiting for a while for college placements. I don't want what apprenticeship you have I'm mind but I think it's probably easier to do when you are younger and if you want to work when travelling it will be much easier with qualifications.

Frankly there are a lot more immediate things that you need to resolve before you start thinking about getting a house and it's more complicated than choice between travel and apprenticeship.

Yeah I know there are delays I have a family member who is high up In a mercury engineering they said once Covid has calmed down it will go bank to normal. He doesn't know anyone who hasn't gone past 4.5 years to get qualified and thats in electrical apprenticeship which I'm looking onto or plumbing. The main thing is even if waiting a year or two to get into phases your salary will go up anyway regardless of what phase your in which is good . Apprenticeship dont work like that I have talked to a good few people and alot have started a apprenticeship after 30 and even 40s they like older people as the younger lads are always on phone or just doing it to make there parents happy.

What immediate things do you think I have to solve?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

FrankieB29 wrote: »
    Yeah I know there are delays I have a family member who is high up In a mercury engineering they said once Covid has calmed down it will go bank to normal. He doesn't know anyone who hasn't gone past 4.5 years to get qualified and thats in electrical apprenticeship which I'm looking onto or plumbing. The main thing is even if waiting a year or two to get into phases your salary will go up anyway regardless of what phase your in which is good . Apprenticeship dont work like that I have talked to a good few people and alot have started a apprenticeship after 30 and even 40s they like older people as the younger lads are always on phone or just doing it to make there parents happy.

What immediate things do you think I have to solve?

We pay according to the phase not how long anyone is with us (2 of the current 4 apprentices are the exception due to delays). If you check the pay scale on online you will see it according to phase not years worked. It might be different with your employer. As for older or younger people we take apprentices in engineering and have no preferences, from experience you can make very few conclusions who will be good or not from their age. The reason why I said they are easier for younger people is because of college placements which mean you could be 3 hours away part of the year and pay isn't great. After apprenticeship a few of ours moved countries and they find it easier to get positions abroad with qualifications.

However the reason I said it's more complicated is because due to Covid you don't know in what countries you will be able to travel and similarly you have no guarantee how the apprenticeship will go. I just wouldn't make any definitive plans.

meeeeh wrote: »
    We pay according to the phase not how long anyone is with us (2 of the current 4 apprentices are the exception due to delays). If you check the pay scale on online you will see it according to phase not years worked. It might be different with your employer.

However the reason I said it's more complicated is because due to Covid you don't know in what countries you will be able to travel and similarly you have no guarantee how the apprenticeship will go. I just wouldn't make any definitive plans.

The pay is all all changed now I know it says online phases but I know for a fact electrical and plumbing apprenticeship companies pay what year your in so if your in your 3rd year like a few apprentices are now due to covid and waiting to get a call to phase 2 they are not actually allowed keep paying you 1st year rate . It might be different in what ever you do engineering is it ?
    There are pages on Facebook and that question comes up alot some companies might chance there arm in keeping you on 1st your rate even though you are 2 or 3 years into apprenticeship.
    No chance older apprentice get treated like that as most know you have more cop on compared to a 17 year old.
    I know plenty of 3rd years waiting for phase 2 but are getting 3rd year rate which is decent money. You learn more on the job anyway thats why your pay goes up not the apprentices fault they have not done class work yet so cant keep them on a low wage .

I understand going abroad when qualified makes sense if your going over to work but if your travelling fo a few months to a year you wont be working in your qualified job.

I agree travelling is complicated at the moment due to covid. Which makes more sense to at least start apprenticeship now. I know I have wanted to do a electrical apprenticeship for awhile but could not do it years ago due to health reasons but am fit and healthy now so I'm still going to go for it and finish it. electrical apprenticeship will open a lot of doors for me and give options to move into different fields later on .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

What pages do you see all these questions on FB im not on them myself. Im late to the party myself and started a mechanical aplrenticeship last year which would be similar to Mercurys plumbing apprenticeships. Im not as old as yourself but if is absolutely soul destroying the first year on the first yesr rate while you see ****kickers from the west coming oved to kick stones around the yard coming in and getting €15-18/hr. Id be finished my first year now only for Covid as i was delayed atarting. Fella that started the year previous to me is due to start third year soon and hasnt been called for phase two either but his rate went up anyway as the crowd im with are decent enough too. Heard of another apprentice a first year but in a diffferent eorkshop to us getting €18/hr as he was a GO before starting to serve his time with us, can apprentices get those rates while another first year is on just under €8/hr?

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

What pages do you see all these questions on FB im not on them myself. Im late to the party myself and started a mechanical aplrenticeship last year which would be similar to Mercurys plumbing apprenticeships. Im not as old as yourself but if is absolutely soul destroying the first year on the first yesr rate while you see ****kickers from the west coming oved to kick stones around the yard coming in and getting €15-18/hr. Id be finished my first year now only for Covid as i was delayed atarting. Fella that started the year previous to me is due to start third year soon and hasnt been called for phase two either but his rate went up anyway as the crowd im with are decent enough too. Heard of another apprentice a first year but in a diffferent eorkshop to us getting €18/hr as he was a GO before starting to serve his time with us, can apprentices get those rates while another first year is on just under €8/hr?

Electrician page Ireland. Yeah alot have been delayed with getting Into phases . Going by my uncle people starting apprenticeship now or only in them a few months wont be waiting as long as other apprentices they just got bad luck with Covid. Once it gets better and the vaccine get out it will go back to normal he hasn't heard of anyone in mercury going past there apprenticeship by a 4.5 years . I wouldn't be to worried about that anyway once your salary insurance thats the main thing. I have heard some companys try keep you on 1st year rate even if with then 3 years while waiting to be called to phase 2 . Just dont let them take the piss out of you more chance of it happening younger apprentices.

The apprentice you said is getting €18ph is full of **** no first year apprentice would be on that. If he started as a GO then he would have to be paid medium wage , then when he officially starts there apprenticeship his wage will the same as every other first year .

First year salary wise is pain but a year goes pretty fast or you could be in phase 2 before the year is out depending how Covid goes . Just have to get on with it and before you know it 3rd year you will be on over € 500 . I have friends who are In cal centres and finance jobs and wouldn't be on that let alone what you will be on when qualified they wont be getting a pay increase for a good few years .

I was left money so first year isnt going to effects me as much.

Advertisement