Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixed (unopenable) windows

• 26-10-2020 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to get new windows, and was wondering about fixed windows in some places.

My house has quite a few windows, and for reasons of thermal performance, sound insulation, and cost saving, I'd like fixed in:
    • Kitchen facing to front of house (never open existing), have double french doors to rear.
    • Hall has a large window adjacent to front door, again no reason to ever open this.
    • Living room has 4 windows. I'd like to replace 2 of them with fixed. Room also has double french doors.

Am I in fantasy land thinking this is allowed by regs? From what I gathered it would be possible to do this in the kitchen and hall (as not habitable) but no chance in the living room? Or no way it's allowed at all?

Also 2 bedrooms have 2 set of identical windows each, no chance of making 1 of each fixed with fire regs?

While I'm here, is it cool to have lamintated glass in all downstairs windows for security, or will the fire man not like that either?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

If there's a door to outside in the room then that will serve as the escape for the rooms you mentioned downstairs.

Only one escape window is required per bedroom so it's also fine to have an escape window + a fixed one. Be careful about the minimum required dimensions for escape windows.

No problems with toughened or laminated glass and it is in fact mandatory in some circumstances where glass goes close to the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Thanks for the info, MT.

That's good to hear, really want some of them fixed - silly to have every single window openable in the case of my house. Just more chance of cold and noise getting in, and they'd more secure as fixed.

I assume the french doors would need thumb turns lock (currently need a key to open both sides) in order for it qualify as the escape route? Sure, that'd be a small price to pay, although not great from a security POV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dont forget the openable sections my be required for ventilation regulations.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Dont forget the openable sections my be required for ventilation regulations.
    All existing windows have trickle vents actually, and thinking I'll lose that aspect and go with the old hole in the wall vents and something like these.

I know there are some calculations to be made, but once the numbers work, would this be okay?

Just to understand why, the front of the house is near a fairly busy road, so to limit noise ingress I'd like ventilation to be to the rear where possible (the shape of the house makes this possible, bar one bedroom which I'll have to think about).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I had overlooked ventilation. Very key. Should be possible to carry out background ventilation using wall vents. Part F and TGD F are a starting point to look at but sometimes need to be supplemented by some expertise depending on the specifics of your house.

However - remember you also need what's called "purge ventilation" and you need openable windows and/or doors for that. Again - have a read of TGD F as a starting point.

• Advertisement

Hi,

So, finally about to order these windows. Just the glazing left to consider...

Option 1: Triple glazed up and downstairs - great thermal insulation, okay sound insulation (busy road nearby) but not much better than double g for this, and not much use security wise - obviously more of an issue for downstairs.

Option 2: Double glazed with laminated sheet up and downstairs- great for security, better for sound, but for u-values is it comparable to standard triple, or would I be missing out for thermal performance?

Option 3: a blend. Have the double with laminate downstairs only for better security, and stick with standard triple upstairs.

Company says not much cost difference between standard triple and double with laminate.

Any advice you'd like to share?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

For security get laminated glass on all downstairs windows.
    On any elevation where noise is an issue get double-glazing – the cavity width is important in reducing noise and you can get two panes of acoustic laminate whilst maintaining a useful cavity
    Upper floor windows where sound is not such an issue get triple-glazing.
    I would not mix double and triple glazing on the same elevation – their will be a difference in appearance due to the additional LowE coating on the triple-glazing.
    Ask to see datasheets for acoustic performance.

I would trade improved acoustic attenuation over better u-values in certain situations. Excessive noise is a big problem when you are trying to sleep.

Advertisement