Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I hope it’s BIG SAM week next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

I hope it’s BIG SAM week next week.

You mean Sam Allardici week surely? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

den87 wrote: »
    “Coooouuukkkkinnnn on gassssss”. I’m fairly sure it’s Ken.

I’ve repeated it to myself once a day everyday for the last week. It’s too funny the way Ken says it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,513 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

cmac2009 wrote: »
    In the discussion I mentioned above they specifically mentioned that this is a tactic used on a regular basis - they go looking for the most outraged tweets. Mainly used by tabloids when pushing their narratives, Daily Mail was referenced unsurprisingly.

Same crap on Youtube - Arsenal Fan TV etc. Outrage gets clicks and likes.

"You are the biggest fool in Manchester" whatever happened to him? :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

If I hear the phrase 'string to his bow' one more time in the rugby segment I'm cancelling my sub...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Didn't think it was a great pod either, nothing new or interesting in the chat.

Re the twitter point, heard a good stat on a media show discussion last year on its influence - in the UK/US circa 20% of the population is on twitter and 10% of those post 80% of the tweets. Therefore roughly 2% of the population are regular posters and this cohort are having a hugely disproportionate influence on what's being reported in the media/societal discussions etc.

Wasn't the best pod ever, but thought it was an interesting enough chat to listen in on.

The most interesting part was probably just Ken though - in the preamble bit with Murph when he was struggling with what the pod actually is, and his name being in the title. And then in the main chat with he fell into a bit of an existential hole of seeing himself as a caricature and wondering whats the point of it all. Feels like Ken's going through a wee bit of a midlife crisis or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Maybe it's been brought up before but why did the tv program not get renewed- I live in the uk and cant say I ever seen a full episode.

Was it after they went to a 5 day podcast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Maybe it's been brought up before but why did the tv program not get renewed- I live in the uk and cant say I ever seen a full episode.

Was it after they went to a 5 day podcast

No idea, but I assumed it just wasn't a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Murph automatically putting the word "toxic" before "masculinity" today talking about McIlroy trying to catch up with Bryson's speed.

Nokotan wrote: »
    Murph automatically putting the word "toxic" before "masculinity" today talking about McIlroy trying to catch up with Bryson's speed.

Was it not appropriate ?

• Advertisement

Was it not appropriate ?

No, I don't think so. I don't see how it's "toxic" to try improve your game to keep up with a competitor. It might have been a bad idea and detrimental to his game but I'm sure a lot of athletes regardless of gender have tried similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nokotan wrote: »
    No, I don't think so. I don't see how it's "toxic" to try improve your game to keep up with a competitor. It might have been a bad idea and detrimental to his game but I'm sure a lot of athletes regardless of gender have tried similar.

In context I think it was used correctly to be honest.

The point he was making was that it was perhaps a failing in him to try to reach parity or one-up on this purely physical aspect of the game, despite it actually not helping him at all in practical terms. That it was self-destructive masculine bravado done as a base emotional response rather than genuine self-improvement.

No coverage of BIG SAMs master class today.... they really aren’t covering the premier league this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

No coverage of BIG SAMs master class today.... they really aren’t covering the premier league this year.

Huh?! They covered it yesterday!

Beersmith wrote: »
    Huh?! They covered it yesterday!

I withdraw my comment !

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    In context I think it was used correctly to be honest.

The point he was making was that it was perhaps a failing in him to try to reach parity or one-up on this purely physical aspect of the game, despite it actually not helping him at all in practical terms. That it was self-destructive masculine bravado done as a base emotional response rather than genuine self-improvement.

I guess we just have different ideas of what toxic masculinity entails. Anyway, I suppose it was off topic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Just saw a story about Leon Reid - the Irish sprinter who was on the show last year talking about his escape from a crack den where his mother lived to become an athlete and switching to represent Ireland. He's been arrested on drugs charges regarding crack cocaine. Pretty sad stuff.

https://www.the42.ie/leon-reid-3-5403114-Apr2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Still Ill wrote: »
    Just saw a story about Leon Reid - the Irish sprinter who was on the show last year talking about his escape from a crack den where his mother lived to become an athlete and switching to represent Ireland. He's been arrested on drugs charges regarding crack cocaine. Pretty sad stuff.

https://www.the42.ie/leon-reid-3-5403114-Apr2021/

That the guy they had on last year who felt persecuted by the “local” athletes and had his gear tampered with? Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Ken's story had me cracking up on the bus today! Hilarious stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Still Ill wrote: »
    Ken's story had me cracking up on the bus today! Hilarious stuff!

Looking forward to the audiobed from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

It was absolutely perfect with the music from the previous bike story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

healy1835 wrote: »
    I do love any time there's a 'Keys to the Kingdom' segment. I've never actually gone to the trouble of reading it, but it always seems to confirm what a tool he is.

What episode was this, I missed it.

Anyone else notice that when Rory Smith is on he constantly slaps his hands together or something similar as you can hear it throughout?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Anyone else notice that when Rory Smith is on he constantly slaps his hands together or something similar as you can hear it throughout?

I noticed too, I thought he was clicking a pen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Never noticed it before today, but MY GOD! He didn't stop, really distracting. A pity because the whole conversation was excellent. Some of the best analysis I've heard on the pod in awhile.

Edit : I actually listened back and think it might be pen clicking alright. Smh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

buyer95 wrote: »
    What episode was this, I missed it.

Ep 2004...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ken's story was hysterical, was hoping he was going to say he gave him a few quid for a new lock, where's our World Service money going at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

I love a good auld Paul Kimmage interview on Second Captains. DOD's interview with him was thoroughly enjoyable, he did a great job with it and Kimmage, as always, didn't hold back and made an interesting guest. It was not as intense as when Kimmage appeared on the Player's Chair with Richie, nor was I expecting it to be, but it still had moments of someone letting their guard down - such as the segment when he mentions his brother.

I was surprised at the nature of the interview, it just seemed like two blokes shooting the breeze (or to quote Eoin's overused phrase from last week "Shooting the sh!t") and the it was a lot more of a conversational format than the standard 'Interviewer & Interviewee' approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

DOD was a brilliant interviewer. Didn't expect him to be so good, although obviously Kimmage was extremely giving. They had a nice moment at the end talking about DODs dad etc. Good heart to the conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

D.Q wrote: »
    DOD was a brilliant interviewer. Didn't expect him to be so good, although obviously Kimmage was extremely giving. They had a nice moment at the end talking about DODs dad etc. Good heart to the conversation.

Wasn't going to listen at all, no interest in cycling. Only did out of loyalty to the Isolating podcast.

15 mins in, I'm thinking about buying a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Although this Kimmage gentleman is a very bad influence on David. More bad language today than in 2 whole series' of isolating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Wasn't going to listen at all, no interest in cycling. Only did out of loyalty to the Isolating podcast.

15 mins in, I'm thinking about buying a bike.

Yeah it was very accessible even if you're not a big cycling fan. After about 40 mins I had jabbed my arse with EPO and gone tearing off up a mountain.

I couldn't find that larry / greg louganis interview online, I'm guessing GL's agent sent it to the lads beforehand?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Pete Moss wrote: »
    I love a good auld Paul Kimmage interview on Second Captains. DOD's interview with him was thoroughly enjoyable, he did a great job with it and Kimmage, as always, didn't hold back and made an interesting guest. It was not as intense as when Kimmage appeared on the Player's Chair with Richie, nor was I expecting it to be, but it still had moments of someone letting their guard down - such as the segment when he mentions his brother.

I was surprised at the nature of the interview, it just seemed like two blokes shooting the breeze (or to quote Eoin's overused phrase from last week "Shooting the sh!t") and the it was a lot more of a conversational format than the standard 'Interviewer & Interviewee' approach.

It was a brilliant companion piece to Sadlier's interview, which was also brilliant. The difference here was that O'Doherty is a huge cycling fan so by extension it was easier to come across as two cycling fans shooting the breeze.

There was a lot of honesty and reflection from both sides, a genuine pleasure to listen to.

The way the greg louganis interview was handled by eoin and Murph was night and day. Really should have been left to just eoin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Couldn't listen to any of those DOD isolation casts but this interview with Kimmage is a great piece of work.

But then I always love listening to Kimmage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭jones

Totally agree with above i initially enjoyed the isolating podcast when it started first but got a bit bored with it as it went on but the interview with Kimmage is top notch,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Kimmage is such a compelling guest you could hear his real anger and real hurt in some parts and DOD really just let him talk and they gelled very well, more enjoyable than Sadlier interview as DOD was a geniune fan of cycling and his enthusiasm came across with his anecdotes

Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The way the greg louganis interview was handled by eoin and Murph was night and day. Really should have been left to just eoin.

Murph is an intelligent enough guy to know what his skillset is and it is not interviewing guests or presenting the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

kilns wrote: »
    Kimmage is such a compelling guest you could hear his real anger and real hurt in some parts and DOD really just let him talk and they gelled very well, more enjoyable than Sadlier interview as DOD was a geniune fan of cycling and his enthusiasm came across with his anecdotes

Great stuff

i listened to this while out on a run. i found the part about his brother hit me very hard. compelling as always with kimmage. superb stuff.

• Advertisement

unplayable wrote: »

i listened to this while out on a run. i found the part about his brother hit me very hard. compelling as always with kimmage. superb stuff.

Hit me hard as well. One of the things that always makes my blood run cold is stories of people leaving home for mundane routine activities and never coming home..

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

Has Kimmage ever been a regular guest on SC? I love listening to him, wish he was on more often (but not too often 😂)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

kilns wrote: »
    Murph is an intelligent enough guy to know what his skillset is and it is not interviewing guests or presenting the show.

Actually thought Murph did a very decent job as main presenter when Eoin was off for 2 weeks there after the birth of his last child. Was that last October or November maybe?

Eoin is amazing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

lawred2 wrote: »
    Hit me hard as well. One of the things that always makes my blood run cold is stories of people leaving home for mundane routine activities and never coming home..

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/paul-kimmage-remembers-his-brother-dear-raphael-there-is-no-one-in-this-world-that-i-admire-as-much-as-you-37872152.html

piece by kimmage after his brothers death. as someone with a younger brother myself yeah i get it.

unplayable wrote: »

Thanks for posting that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Full football episode with a separate side helping of rugby for those interested in that sort of thing.

That's the shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

DOD and kimmage was a great pod - I love a good cycling book always find them compelling (but not a cyclist).

Why it worked I felt dod knew loads of really specific stuff that just wasnt handed to him by a researcher.. kimmage really opened up too

DOD and kimmage was a great pod - I love a good cycling book always find them compelling (but not a cyclist).

Why it worked I felt dod knew loads of really specific stuff that just wasnt handed to him by a researcher.. kimmage really opened up too

Yeah very unlike Richie who just brings everything back to himself.

Jasus the amount of long winded bollox dion fanning was talking yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Jasus the amount of long winded bollox dion fanning was talking yesterday.

Yeah he wasnt getting his point across very well at all.

Advertisement