Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

MfMan wrote: »
    The steel bung on one side of the roller is seized and cannot be opened. Tried everything to open it; blow torch, WD40, every wrench imaginable, even the local garage tried it with the airgun, all to no avail. Only solution I can think of now, is to cut open a sizeable hole in through it and try to remove the remnants of the bung from inside out. Would this damage the threading? Any other ideas? (Yes, I greased it when filling.)

https://imgur.com/k4QkU3B

Weld something heavy onto it....maybe 1/2 inch steel plate,that can be welded on both sides

Use 29-9 rods burn in deep,and spray wd 40/oil onto threads while still hot (have heard of people using candle wax)......this should free the threads

Get someone to turn it with a stilson (or similar)and chielsel it at same time........it should come out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

All of the suggestions i have you have already tried or others have mentioned.
    If it will not budge it may be easier to weld in a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Buy a 2 inch galvanised pipejoiner and a bung to fit.
    Cut the joiner in half ( to keep it from sticking out and hitting the frame) .
    Gas, profile cut, or just drill a ring of holes and make a 2 inch hole in the end of the roller, and weld on your new fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Something a little different. A few machines working in the quarry stripping clay. A 20 tonne Komatsu and a 65 tonne Hitachi. The drill wasn't far behind once there was a enough ground cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Something a little different. A few machines working in the quarry stripping clay. A 20 tonne Komatsu and a 65 tonne Hitachi. The drill wasn't far behind once there was a enough ground cleared.

Nice asset to have on a farm, a gift that keeps giving
    I've thousands tons of limestone rock and not allowed touch it.

• Advertisement

Do they leave back the land good enough to farm when they're finished with it,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

wrangler wrote: »
    Do they leave back the land good enough to farm when they're finished with it,

I thought disused quarries get flooded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Tileman

I’m in the same boat as you. Have a split roller and can open one side but not the other . Going to leave it for today and go at it again Tomo . Let me know if you find the solution 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Tileman wrote: »
    I’m in the same boat as you. Have a split roller and can open one side but not the other . Going to leave it for today and go at it again Tomo . Let me know if you find the solution ��

Will do. Cheers to all replies. Had thought about the 'welding on bigger nut' solution alright, but not a welder so may have to get someone to do it. Even then, I can't guarantee it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

Did you heat it with oxy acetelene , and heat it until it glows red .
    Then try the inch air gun on it .
    If you have a socket that filts it , when its red hot use u torque multiplier. On it . Twice the torque of a good inch air gun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

9935452 wrote: »
    Did you heat it with oxy acetelene , and heat it until it glows red .
    Then try the inch air gun on it .
    If you have a socket that filts it , when its red hot use u torque multiplier. On it . Twice the torque of a good inch air gun

Drop it down to a local workshop fella, if no joy doing that have a pipe fitting and bung and ask him to mag drill a hole and weld it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Can anyone sell slig from a farm, lots of small hills here I'd like to get rid of

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Can anyone sell slig from a farm, lots of small hills here I'd like to get rid of

Probably 10 different certs and licenses required these days!

At the moment it's just a big hole that's fenced off. It'd be great if it could be filled in some day but it's around 12 acres.

I have nothing got to do with the quarry and it's rented out to someone. They are NSAI certified and the paper work they have to ensure is correct is eye watering. However being NSAI certified allows them to supply material to any job in the country. All the machines he bought were either non runners or fixer uppers. That big Hitachi digger got a new engine. They have 2 big Aveling Barford rigid dumpers. He rebuilt the transmission in one and the engine in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

At the moment it's just a big hole that's fenced off. It'd be great if it could be filled in some day but it's around 12 acres.

I have nothing got to do with the quarry and it's rented out to someone. They are NSAI certified and the paper work they have to ensure is correct is eye watering. However being NSAI certified allows them to supply material to any job in the country. All the machines he bought were either non runners or fixer uppers. That big Hitachi digger got a new engine. They have 2 big Aveling Barford rigid dumpers. He rebuilt the transmission in one and the engine in the other.

Don’t think you’d want it tbh. There’s fair hardship coming in likes of uk and Germany with ol mines that the ground is subsiding eith

Don’t think you’d want it tbh. There’s fair hardship coming in likes of uk and Germany with ol mines that the ground is subsiding eith

It's a tough game. I prefer the cows :D

It's a tough game. I prefer the cows :D

You're lucky to have it now, it's another income into the ''firm'' Young lads taking over a farm now adays have to provide two incomes, parents are mostly young.
    Motorway got 50ft of rock under my land take for the road and in that situation you're only paid for the top six inches.
    People around here rented hills to contractors and they had to leave it back as farmland

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Serious bit of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,122 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Maybe I'm out of practice on the auction circuit.
    Doyle's machinery auction on marteye seems to be value had.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Anyone buy new spinners recently? Ours is due a change, Rauch, has spread a lot of stuff, only issue was adjusting it really as would easily get stiff. Would Rauch or Amazone be the two main ones to look at still? Have heard bogballe may not be the most reliable. Will need to hold 1.5 tonne comfortably

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    Anyone buy new spinners recently? Ours is due a change, Rauch, has spread a lot of stuff, only issue was adjusting it really as would easily get stiff. Would Rauch or Amazone be the two main ones to look at still? Have heard bogballe may not be the most reliable. Will need to hold 1.5 tonne comfortably

I've pictures of our 1 just above your post, with the grant available their seems to be a lot of second hand tillage machines around now.

Bought a 4 year old 3 ton Rauch with all the bells and whistles (GPS, section control, weight cells, hydraulic drive) for reasonable money, the difference between a new 2 ton machine with just border control was less than 2k.

I've pictures of our 1 just above your post, with the grant available their seems to be a lot of second hand tillage machines around now.

Bought a 4 year old 3 ton Rauch with all the bells and whistles (GPS, section control, weight cells, hydraulic drive) for reasonable money, the difference between a new 2 ton machine with just border control was less than 2k.

Did you buy privately or from a dealer? Have a 7840 here and neighbour has a standard tm120, it'll be on either of those as does both farms so was was just gonna get the standard spinner and perhaps a basic gps for the tractor then, not linked as such. Does the tractor need much to make use of all those extras?

Mooooo wrote: »
    Did you buy privately or from a dealer? Have a 7840 here and neighbour has a standard tm120, it'll be on either of those as does both farms so was was just gonna get the standard spinner and perhaps a basic gps for the tractor then, not linked as such. Does the tractor need much to make use of all those extras?

Bought from dealer, ah yeah that's fair enough if it's joint owned a basic GPS would be handier alright.

A GPS with a big enough screen is all you need really, you can control the spreader through that screen or use a separate controller box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Have had good luck with Bogballe here. Atkins were there for the few bits needed, posting them out straight away. I would love to get a high spec spreader next.

Would hydraulic drive would make hooking up easier, back up close, attack pipes and cables and back in the rest of the way. Leaving only the toplink which could be done without squeezing in all the way. The gap is so tight on the one here, no graceful way of doing it.

Bought from dealer, ah yeah that's fair enough if it's joint owned a basic GPS would be handier alright.

A GPS with a big enough screen is all you need really, you can control the spreader through that screen or use a separate controller box.

Well I'll own it, just that it's time could be on either tractor neither of which have much tech themselves. It'll be doing both farms tho, he has a sprayer and small tanker, and better tractor in fairness, I've the spinner and agitator/pump and we work away that way, have since our fathers time. Lucky they are the best of neighbours.

May be worth eyeing the second hand ones so, with that level of equipment a dealer would be a must I'd say.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Have had good luck with Bogballe here. Atkins were there for the few bits needed, posting them out straight away. I would love to get a high spec spreader next.

Would hydraulic drive would make hooking up easier, back up close, attack pipes and cables and back in the rest of the way. Leaving only the toplink which could be done without squeezing in all the way. The gap is so tight on the one here, no graceful way of doing it.

Squeezing is right, if you had to throw on the spinner after the dinner would nearly have to skip the tea and biscuits lol. Arms on the 7840 a good bit shorter than the tm as well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Am i missing something,gps fertilizer spreaders seems to be the must have fashion accessory at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

K.G. wrote: »
    Am i missing something,gps fertilizer spreaders seems to be the must have fashion accessory at the minute

Still working off a line drawn in the dust on the door glass here.....
    And lining up with a holly/ash/beech in the far hedge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Real farmers don't need GPS Nek ; )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭DBK1

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Anywhere I have single strand electric wire I drove the stakes all 12 metres apart at both ends of the fields and always drive to the stake. There are some fields with hills where there is still a bit of eye work until you can see over the hill but it works well generally.

Advertisement