Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on song before next release

Options
  • 09-04-2021 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

A friend released his song last year.

https://youtu.be/2knH3VwgnV4

I really liked it and feedback from a lot of people was good, unfortunately the wrong video was shared early so the views are quite low after the edit was released.

Anyway, it never really went anywhere. It got one radio play. I personally liked it but maybe I'm biased.

Jamie is releasing his second single in a couple of months. It would be great to get some feedback here.

1. What do you think of the song? Where is it weak or needs improvements and what are its strengths?

2. How should we approach radio stations, (yep I'll be trying to give a hand)

3. He's just putting it on distrokid. Is that the best idea?

Any tips on how to release a single?

Any and all help/ feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Any advice at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

mcsean2163 wrote: »

1. What do you think of the song? Where is it weak or needs improvements and what are its strengths?

2. How should we approach radio stations, (yep I'll be trying to give a hand)

3. He's just putting it on distrokid. Is that the best idea?

Any tips on how to release a single?

Any and all help/ feedback appreciated.

I hate seeing threads with no posts so here goes.

1. It's a grand song, very catchy tune. The tune saves it, actually.

I don't like the name, I think unless you're from Dun Laoghaire, it's too specific, you're limiting your audience straight away, surely.
    Summer in Dublin worked, or Galway Girl, but I'd look at changing the title and perhaps the chorus needs to be changed then.
    Something Bay, Anything Bay- not Dun Laoghaire Bay.

2. Re: radio. Ronan Collins on Radio 1 plays a lot of Irish songs, also Lilian Smith. I don't know how you'd go about getting it onto a playlist.
    I am not familiar with any of the local Dublin stations.
    It would be perfect on a Fáilte Ireland ad, actually.

3. I don't know.

And the video, the dark outfit he is wearing doesn't match the sunny happy vibes. I hate being negative, it's hard enough trying to make it in music but if it was me, I'd want honest opinions.

Fair play for his effort and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I hate seeing threads with no posts so here goes.

1. It's a grand song, very catchy tune. The tune saves it, actually.

I don't like the name, I think unless you're from Dun Laoghaire, it's too specific, you're limiting your audience straight away, surely.
    Summer in Dublin worked, or Galway Girl, but I'd look at changing the title and perhaps the chorus needs to be changed then.
    Something Bay, Anything Bay- not Dun Laoghaire Bay.

2. Re: radio. Ronan Collins on Radio 1 plays a lot of Irish songs, also Lilian Smith. I don't know how you'd go about getting it onto a playlist.
    I am not familiar with any of the local Dublin stations.
    It would be perfect on a Fáilte Ireland ad, actually.

3. I don't know.

And the video, the dark outfit he is wearing doesn't match the sunny happy vibes. I hate being negative, it's hard enough trying to make it in music but if it was me, I'd want honest opinions.

Fair play for his effort and best of luck.

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate the feedback, negative/ positive both are good. Tbh, great to hear that somebody else likes it, I thought it was great but a musical friend I respect absolutely hated it, so it's good to hear some positive feedback.

Yes, the video could be improved enormously and that's a great point on the title. Will take that into account for the next one and also Ronan Collins.

Thanks!:):)

Advertisement