Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Nature Pictures I Took Recently - II (Seasonal Photos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Not the number of bars as such, but the spacing. The Kestrel's tail bars are narrower.

He/She has been hanging around the last few days from where I initially saw it, got a better(ish) picture today - Merlin or Kestrel :pac:

I haven't seen it hover like you would a Kestrel, it's going from post to post and into the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

DeadSkin wrote: »
    He/She has been hanging around the last few days from where I initially saw it, got a better(ish) picture today - Merlin or Kestrel :pac:

I haven't seen it hover like you would a Kestrel, it's going from post to post and into the grass.

Nice pic, 100% kestrel, if there was any doubt ;-)
    Kestrels getting much scarcer these days, so lovely to see it.
    Merlins do spend time on fenceposts etc, but when they do switch on, it's fast... they are much more dynamic hunters and chasers than the kestrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

DeadSkin wrote: »

It's a Kestrel, young male I'd say. A long tail in comparison to a Merlin, Merlin also has a 'solid' colour on the back, almost dark chocolate. Merlin flies very fast and low to the ground, it will outfly any thing that it happens to flush. Kestrel uses height to hunt and will drop down on unsuspecting prey. And the feet, Merlin is almost exclusively hunting birds so has dainty slender toes, Kestrel taking a lot of mice and ground quarry so has strong chunky feet built for 'rough and tumble'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭lolie

Mistle thrush through the window enjoying the sun two days ago.
    Seen the first swallow flying about yesterday, come the weekend it'll wish it waited another week.
    IMG-20210331-005553.jpg

Robbie with some food for his new girlfriend earlier.
    Pics-Art-04-01-04-48-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

Not so camouflaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Male Chaffinch

51088931623_6ddc7fd17f_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Is it the angle or is Robbie getting plumper with his porridge treats and kitchen visits??

I 've heard robins sing before but not mistle thrush does the mistle thrush Have a nice birdsong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Fox has been out and about the last few evenings, finally got a shot of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Caught the clouds not wanting to fly this morning...

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

And some tadpoles from a few days ago happy out in the pool in the corner of the chicken run...

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭lolie

Lots of insects out of hibernation with the good weather.
    Small tortoiseshell butterfly.
    Pics-Art-03-30-01-33-57.jpg

Bumblebee
    nor.jpg

Taperd drone fly
    nor.jpg

Brown tipped thorn moth
    nor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭glaswegian

51097078709_d1c8419ffa_z.jpg

51097533903_b52c7040ba_z.jpg

51097084532_996a958602_z.jpg

51097073794_84f3214803_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

Grey Wagtail
    eVy0OKp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

I saw two grey wagtails yesterday in Castletown House. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

A few of my recent photos. Mostly taken in Dalkey and a few from my local park (Cabinteely Park). Sorry for the large amount of images, I've recently taken up photography as a hobby because of the lockdown:

vVzA8PM.jpg

GSKmIyN.jpg

rOd42i8.jpg

x2wZSEG.jpg

dC2cOLg.jpg

Ns9GrCS.jpg

ipVZpge.jpg

XCMwUmX.jpg

3wayswitch wrote: »
    A few of my recent photos. Mostly taken in Dalkey and a few from my local park (Cabinteely Park). Sorry for the large amount of images, I've recently taken up photography as a hobby because of the lockdown:

vVzA8PM.jpg

GSKmIyN.jpg

rOd42i8.jpg

x2wZSEG.jpg

dC2cOLg.jpg

Ns9GrCS.jpg

ipVZpge.jpg

XCMwUmX.jpg
    Lovely pictures 3way, well caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Good pics, fab heron close up, looks like something from Jurassic Park!

• Advertisement

TedR wrote: »
    Good pics, fab heron close up, looks like something from Jurassic Park!

Thanks man. I nearly got a great shot of him landing, but he landed a lot closer to me than expected and I wasn't able to zoom out in time. I would have loved to have gotten both wings in this shot:

QqzPYQD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

He's doing what I call the "batman pose" I saw a chillaxed comorant doing it this morning drying his wings along the canal

pottokblue wrote: »
    He's doing what I call the "batman pose" I saw a chillaxed comorant doing it this morning drying his wings along the canal

I occasionally see them doing that down in Dun Laoghaire / Sandycove too, but I never seem to have my camera on me when they do. Hopefully this weekend I'll have better luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

Female Chaffinch
    RhLObIl.jpg

Some pictures from my back garden:

AoVA1YS.jpg

K2cOkF1.jpg

51106349330_0aa2edac40_z.jpg

Mink at Loch Gill.

51106339470_569ebe17fa_z.jpg

51105495761_d1e31f1b9b_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Juvenile Great Cormorant, Rock pipit and Light Bellied Brent Geese - part of a flock of a couple hundred I'd say ( I'm almost sure ) at Tralee Bay, Co. Kerry today.

XiwVIyk.jpg?1

HQhvWQj.jpg?1

v4LpTff.jpg?1

Advertisement