Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ps Vita

Options
  • 26-03-2021 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Tempted to buy one in preparation for working away from home when Covid over . What are the dos and don't with getting one ? I had a switch but didn't love it tbh . Be only physical games now with the vita by looks things ..

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

brady12 wrote: »
    Tempted to buy one in preparation for working away from home when Covid over . What are the dos and don't with getting one ? I had a switch but didn't love it tbh . Be only physical games now with the vita by looks things ..

If you didn't like the switch don't get a vita. Switch is a faaaaaaar better machine in terms of library.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

The Vita on it's own is a bit niche. However, there is a huge community in the hacking scene. A hacked vita is a different beast altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭alanzo27

Hack a PS Vita with a large capacity SD card and it is one of the best handheld devices available that can be used to emulate a large library of games from different platforms. There are also homebrew ports of Doom and Quake. The original OLED model is preferable, however the LCD model has slightly better battery life and is lighter. It also does not require the proprietary charge and data cable as it has a micro USB port. I own the original OLED model. I just recently replaced the battery.

The 3G module on the original Vita can be replaced with an SD card slot which will allow simultaneous use of PS Vita game cards.

https://psvsd.henkaku.xyz/

TechJames on Youtube is a good source of information regarding the process of installing custom firmware and configuration of a hacked Vita.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwc1hyc7dK-sbkRfu5EI6Fw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

alanzo27 wrote: »
    Hack a PS Vita with a large capacity SD card and it is one of the best handheld devices available that can be used to emulate a large library of games from different platforms. There are also homebrew ports of Doom and Quake. The original OLED model is preferable, however the LCD model has slightly better battery life and is lighter. It also does not require the proprietary charge and data cable as it has a micro USB port. I own the original OLED model. I just recently replaced the battery.

The 3G module on the original Vita can be replaced with an SD card slot which will allow simultaneous use of PS Vita game cards.

https://psvsd.henkaku.xyz/

TechJames on Youtube is a good source of information regarding the process of installing custom firmware and configuration of a hacked Vita.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwc1hyc7dK-sbkRfu5EI6Fw

This.

A hacked Vita is a simply wonderful console. You can put Retroarch on it and emulate a heap of older consoles. Put Adrenaline on it and it will play PSP and PS1 titles perfectly. You can also access the main store to grab all the games you want before they (allegedly) disappear. Use a 256GB SD card to store all your games and do away with the horrendously expensive proprietary Vita memory cards.

It will literally add years of life to the usefulness of a PS Vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭brady12

Well if the store does disappear I won't need a big memory card anyways cos will only be able use physical copies ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well if the store does disappear I won't need a big memory card anyways cos will only be able use physical copies ?

Not if you hack it.

That’s not how it works...;)

Does it Matter what model I buy ? Slim or older version ? Looking on cex & eBay ..

Does it Matter what model I buy ? Slim or older version ? Looking on cex & eBay ..

Slim has an LCD screen and better battery life. Original has a nicer OLED screen, is more durable and has the worst designed start and select buttons maybe ever.

bugs wrote: »
    Slim has an LCD screen and better battery life. Original has a nicer OLED screen, is more durable and has the worst designed start and select buttons maybe ever.

Any place I can buy an already hacked ready to go vita?

• Advertisement

Any place I can buy an already hacked ready to go vita?

It's quite easy to do. There are plenty of online guides (Reddit for a start but several others) and loads of Youtube videos.

I followed these guides and it was very straightforward. The key is to make sure that you have all the necessary software downloaded and ready to go before you start. I got my SDVita from Amazon UK for less than a fiver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP27MPS-zDk&t=12s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0vJnocF8K0&t=1429s

So I got a DM off a boards user here who offered sell me a hacked vita 2000 through adverts . My first vita . Really happy they DM'd me !They really looked after me and were very sound to deal with .only question now is whether I try and maybe buy a unhacked mint vita 1000 for physical games And a back up .

You don’t need the physical games now if you have a hacked Vita? Just download them onto your memory card.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    You don’t need the physical games now if you have a hacked Vita? Just download them onto your memory card.

Might still pick up 1 or 2 if find bargains

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Might still pick up 1 or 2 if find bargains

Why? You already have 1 Vita.
    In saying that, I got a Vita 1000 for €50 just before Christmas and just like yourself I'm after another, just to have. I don't know why but I like have a spare.
    I have 3 PSP's all hacked and still play them weekly.

My 8 year old lad got a Switch lite for Christmas, but he spends more time on the Vita because "its way cooler" he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Does having a hacked Vita cause any problems when you're logged into PSN?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Does having a hacked Vita cause any problems when you're logged into PSN?

No. Trophies accumulate as normal and saves to the Cloud (if you have Playstation Plus) work as normal. These points apply for Japanese or US games just as well on an Irish account!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I've been really thinking about buying a Vita again after I had to unfortunately sell my oled model a few years ago.

Is there any difference between models in terms of hacking it, it's one model easier/harder than the other one?

Any recommendations on where the best place to pick one up would be?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Not sure about your first question but I would assume no there's no difference, I'd cex is your best bet for one or ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Oddly I was moving around display cabinet and sorting the handheld consoles and picked up my Vita again. It's such a lovely console.

• Advertisement

There is one difference between the models from a hacking point of view. The 1000 (oled) series requires an official memory card to execute any hacks, the 2000 series has 1GB of onboard storage so no memory card is required.

CEX would be ok but the price isn't great and generally speaking, the condition of anything out of there can be sub par.

Adverts is a good option if you can find a nice clean example.

Advertisement