Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Best Greatest Hits albums

• 02-04-2021 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭

OK - in the era of Spotify and making your own playlists, Greatest Hits / Best Of / Singles Collections are no longer as important or popular as before. Nevertheless, there is still a demand and a thoughtful, well-compiled one can be great introduction to an artist - or else, complement their existing catalogue.

In my opinion, they ideally should have the following:

1/ At least one new track to entice fans who have everything. Generally speaking this track should be used to promote the compilation.

2/ For artists who have a big back catalogue stretching back a number of years, they should be representative and try to cover as many eras as possible.

3/ And this is the most important - they should include the single mixes and radio edits, not album versions. There is nothing worse than album versions on a Greatest Hits.

Here's how you do a perfect one.
    Every single, in its single version, in the order they were singles.

77018949_10162815127380089_1949253843384532992_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=-K1YLhWVfw4AX_k41AY&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=6e474f99372e3b617a0d56d3bf6c7ed7&oe=608E883D

So which ones are your favourites?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I'd have to say, the best of the Beatles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭gipi

Queen - vols 1, 2 and 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

gipi wrote: »
    Queen - vols 1, 2 and 3!

The first one is great.
    For II, I was disappointed that their most underrated single of the 1980s - Scandal - missed out. They could have fitted it if they used a couple of more 7" edits of other tracks. Third one is an interesting selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭gabria

The very best of the Stone Roses.

It is like an expanded studio album remake of their famous debut also starting with I wanna be adored and finishing with This is the One / I am the Resurrection. The other classics from the debut, the underrated singles from Second Coming, early recordings like Sally cinnamon and the more famous non-album tracks all sown together into perfect sequence.

I wanna go listen to it now.

gabria wrote: »

It is like an expanded studio album remake of their famous debut also starting with I wanna be adored and finishing with This is the One / I am the Resurrection. The other classics from the debut, the underrated singles from Second Coming, early recordings like Sally cinnamon and the more famous non-album tracks all sown together into perfect sequence.

It's good. Nice to get Ten Storey Love Song with a clean intro. I'd like to have one of the backwards tracks on it (Don't Stop, Simone, Guernica). To fit, they could have included the 7" versions of Fools Gold (4:15) and Elephant Stone (3:00) instead of the 12" mixes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Depeche Mode The Singles 86-98 is a belter.

Some favourites

Smashing Pumpkins - Rotten Apples. All killer and the a brilliant bonus disc.
    Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady. Bs just as good as As.
    Bob Dylan - Greatest Hits Volume II. Selection is ace..
    Neil Young - Decade. Very wide-ranging.
    Sly and The Family Stone - Greatest Hits. All killer.
    Squeeze - Singles 45s And Under. Likewise.
    Echo and The Bunnymen - More Songs To Learn And Sing. Blown away when I got this. Really great.
    Chicago - Chicago IX: Greatest Hits. Nice concise set with trimmed mixes.
    The Who - Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy. Savage.
    Guided By Voices - Human Amusements At Hourly Rates. Massive catalogue but does the job.
    Level 42 - Level Best. You need the CD version for the four extra tracks. Quiet pressing. Sounds great in car.
    Erasure - Pop! The First 20 Hits. Banger after banger.

Some frustrating ones
    The Cure - Standing On A Beach. Promoted by Boys Don't Cry (New Vocal) which doesn't appear and is still MIA on CD (7" wise).
    Kate Bush - The Whole Story. The good: a better Wuthering Heights. The bad: missing singles, random edits of some but not others.
    Madonna - The Immaculate Collection. Uses Q-Sound remixes for most of it. Too many gaps - no Angel, Dress You Up, True Blue, Who's That Girl. Her catalogue needs a proper overhaul. Ridiculous that for someone of her stature, you can't buy some single versions digitally (CD / download)

mailforkev wrote: »

Definitely - seriously strong. They're due another.....

Some favourites

Squeeze - Singles 45s And Under. Likewise.
    )

We had the small record single for Labelled With Love and on the other side was a mix of songs fit into 3 or 4 minutes or whatever. I just looked it up and it was called Squabs of Forty Fab.

I use to listen to it like it was one song. It works quite well like a mini greatest hits.

Olivia2 wrote: »
    We had the small record single for Labelled With Love and on the other side was a mix of songs fit into 3 or 4 minutes or whatever. I just looked it up and it was called Squabs of Forty Fab.

I use to listen to it like it was one song. It works quite well like a mini greatest hits.

Squabs.. is brilliant. I have played it when DJing - always gets people out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭BOSTIK

These are good singles collections

International Superhits - Green Day
    Greatest Hits - Squeeze
    Substance 1987 - New Order, great for B-sides
    Ballyhoo - Echo & the Bunnymen, also includes some B-sides

The ones below are more varied, containing more obscure tracks but serve as excellent tasters for that reason. They tend to give a broader sample of an artist’s repertoire. I tend to prefer this type of collection.

Louder than Bombs - The Smiths. Features non-album singles, of which there were a good few, and a fair share of B-sides

Forty Licks - Rolling Stones. Contains some of their greatest non-singles such as Gimme Shelter, Sympathy for the Devil & Happy as well as the well known singles and 4 new at the time songs.

Also, the deluxe versions of the two U2 singles compilations are worth picking up for the B-sides alone.

BOSTIK wrote: »
    These are good singles collections

International Superhits - Green Day
    Greatest Hits - Squeeze
    Substance 1987 - New Order, great for B-sides
    Ballyhoo - Echo & the Bunnymen, also includes some B-sides

The ones below are more varied, containing more obscure tracks but serve as excellent tasters for that reason. They tend to give a broader sample of an artist’s repertoire. I tend to prefer this type of collection.

Louder than Bombs - The Smiths. Features non-album singles, of which there were a good few, and a fair share of B-sides

Forty Licks - Rolling Stones. Contains some of their greatest non-singles such as Gimme Shelter, Sympathy for the Devil & Happy as well as the well known singles and 4 new at the time songs.

Also, the deluxe versions of the two U2 singles compilations are worth picking up for the B-sides alone.

Loved Substance especially the new version of Temptation which is my favourite. I ended buying all three formats to get all the tracks.

Louder Than Bombs is excellent; was expensive at the time. Import prices. There was also a double vinyl edition of The World Won't Listen (28 tracks) that I bought in Virgin December 1987.

I have Forty Licks; it's a good compilation that covers both eras. Also good are the two Hot Rocks, The Singles Collection and Jump Back.

Agree re the two U2 compilations. Wasn't gone on the CD1 tracklist for 1980-1990 though. No Gloria, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock or A Celebration.

I loved Smokies Greatest Hits! Think I must have been one of the youngest Smokie Fans in Ireland when we got that cd :)

Lay Back in the Arms of Someone, If you think you know how to love me (that is a really gorgeous song), Don't play your Rock n' Roll to me and Something's been making me blue - all really great songs.

They were much more than just Living Next Door to Alice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Legend - Bob Marley
    Complete Discography - Minor Threat
    1 - The Beatles
    The Essential Clash - The Clash
    Hey! Ho! Let's Go: The Anthology - Ramones

For The Beatles, I prefer the Red and Blue albums - they were my introduction to them back in the '80s.

That Ramones anthology is brilliant, very well chosen.

Legend reminds me so much of the summer of 1984, classic compilation that's had a couple of adjustments over the years.

The Clash comp you pick is great because it has the balls to include This Is England - Mick Jones would prefer that people erase Cut The Crap from history.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭supernova5

The Jam - Snap - absolute belter from one of the best bands in the last 45 years

supernova5 wrote: »
    The Jam - Snap - absolute belter from one of the best bands in the last 45 years

Yes, was a favourite in school. Great selection and flows very well. Was a brave decision to break up the band in 1982. Love The Style Council (Our Favourite Shop is all time top 5) and Weller solo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭supernova5

Wellar, the Modfather - probably the best and most influential singer songwriters Britain has ever produced

gabria wrote: »

I was given a copy of the Complete Stone Roses. Great to get the B-sides and the non-album singles from the Silvertone era.

Fools Gold is marvelous, but I had to go hunting for the 12 inch version though. The 7 inch version doesn’t do it justice at all.

mailforkev wrote: »

It is.

I’d love if they did a B-sides and rarities collection, maybe even include some Composition of Sound stuff if it can be found.

The liner notes on their 81-85 Singles are gas, including one positive and one negative review for each single. Though one could never write anything bad enough about The Meaning of Love.

• Advertisement

For The Beatles, I prefer the Red and Blue albums - they were my introduction to them back in the '80s.

That Ramones anthology is brilliant, very well chosen.

Legend reminds me so much of the summer of 1984, classic compilation that's had a couple of adjustments over the years.

The Clash comp you pick is great because it has the balls to include This Is England - Mick Jones would prefer that people erase Cut The Crap from history.

Agree with you about the Beatles, a fine sampler.

I’d totally forgotten about Legend, nearly everyone bought it in 1984.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭con747

The Best of Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd
    The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac
    Legacy The Very Best of David Bowie

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I was given a copy of the Complete Stone Roses. Great to get the B-sides and the non-album singles from the Silvertone era.

Fools Gold is marvelous, but I had to go hunting for the 12 inch version though. The 7 inch version doesn’t do it justice at all.

Agree the 9:53 12" is massive - although takes up a lot of space on a compilation.
    The Super Deluxe Edition of the debut album that came out in 2009 was the ideal opportunity to round-up everything from that era - but that omits stuff too.

con747 wrote: »
    The Best of Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd
    The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac
    Legacy The Very Best of David Bowie

Echoes is very good.

For Fleetwood Mac, The Very Best Of is good but has nothing from the in-between years (after Green but before Buckingham). 50 Years: Don't Stop covers all eras.

It is.

I’d love if they did a B-sides and rarities collection, maybe even include some Composition of Sound stuff if it can be found.

The liner notes on their 81-85 Singles are gas, including one positive and one negative review for each single. Though one could never write anything bad enough about The Meaning of Love.

Last year's Mode box had four CDs of B-Sides etc but sold out awful fast.

Those reviews on the first Singles album are hilarious alright. They must have a low-ish opinion of The Meaning Of Love as it was omitted from the vinyl along with Somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Orange Tiny Terror

Beatles red and blue album
    The Kinks the singles collection
    Ocean Colour Scene songs from the front row
    Oasis stop the clocks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yeah, I just wish they had included Spanish Bombs or Death Or Glory as well. I'd regard as amongst the best tracks on London Calling.

“All of this and nothing” Psychedelic Furs

This was a nice mid-price introduction to their catalogue, it’s not comprehensive but the selection is well chosen. Their big American hit “Heartbreak Beat” is probably the worst song on the album.

“Masterplan” Oasis

Great collection of B-sides.

The Masterplan is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,657 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Prince: The Singles is bloody great. 2 Discs of banger after banger and then the B-sides in the third disc, more absolute quality.

Beatles Past Masters 1 and 2

Arghus wrote: »
    Prince: The Singles is bloody great. 2 Discs of banger after banger and then the B-sides in the third disc, more absolute quality.

Beatles Past Masters 1 and 2

The Prince compilation was £34.99 in HMV when it came out first. I played it an awful lot over the years; B-sides were top notch and really well selected. Seriously great set although could have done with a few more single edits (which would mean more tracks fitting on). The more recent 4Ever is also great and plugs some of the other 7" gaps including Alphabet Street (half the length of the album version) and Batdance.

Past Masters excellent round-ups too; first heard them in that breadbin set.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'm usually not one for Greatest Hits albums but I like most of this Anthology series:

https://www.discogs.com/Marvin-Gaye-Anthology/release/6508954

Others in the series are Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross and the Supremes, Four Tops and more.

Also The Best of the Pointer Sisters is great.

Chris Isaak's Wicked Game is a decent selection too, I'd forgotten about it until it shuffled up on the ipod this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Boring but there you go.
    David Bowie - Changesbowie
    Queen - Greatest Hits 1
    Abba - Abba Gold
    Beatles - Blue Album
    The Clash - Essential Clash

Apart from Abba, these albums actually got me into those artists. Queen when I was 13, late teens Bowie, late 20s Beatles, mid 30's The Clash. Apart from Queen and maybe Bowie I hated those bands before I "discovered" them. The Clash is probably the most recent and it was great discovering all that material! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Led Zeppelin - Remasters

David Bowie - Sound and Vision boxset ( contains not only some single tracks but a lot of B sides and early demos)

Joy Division - Heart & Soul

• Advertisement

Led Zeppelin - Remasters

David Bowie - Sound and Vision boxset ( contains not only some single tracks but a lot of B sides and early demos)

Joy Division - Heart & Soul

Great choices.
    The Led Zeppelin one is a brilliant distillation of what was on the bigger 4CD set. My local record shop were having a vinyl purge in 1991 so I got the triple vinyl Remasters for £1.99 - all LPs were that price, no matter what.

I liked the Bowie one so much that I have bought it three times - 1989 vinyl, 1989 CD and the later 2003 reissue. It's a brilliant set. The Rykodisc reissues of his albums were really good. Decent bonus tracks and good sound.

The Joy Division one is top too.

Those early box sets - where every CD has its own jewel case - were excellent. Made you feel like you were getting something special.

87855840_10163244792220089_2288429614067875840_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=_v8NYVu6MWoAX_ZofEx&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=182f1e455e539ff04451e6c55e7a80b3&oe=609CD1A7

Advertisement