Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone add you as named driver without consent?

Options
  • 07-04-2021 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Can someone add you to their policy without your knowledge ?

In the context of getting cheaper insurance

Hypothetical question , came up in conversation thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If they find an insurer that still doesn't verify licences, they could do it. Breaches the general Utmost Good Faith principle so they'd be in a very dodgy position if claiming.

Since the recent epidemic of completely fictional "insured drivers" being involved in staged 'accidents', most insurers that didn't care about getting licence scans now do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

In theory yes but the insurance company will usually need to see a copy of that person's Driving Licence front and back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Henry.

So would they need to verify this with the named driver ?

When adding my daughter to my policy I had to provide a copy of her permit back and front, and she also had to sign a declaration of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

When I got my first insurance few years ago I put 2 of my brothers on it to bring down the premium and I had to send in copies of the front and back of both their driving licence. I would have thought that all insurance companies would request this :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Henry. wrote: »
    So would they need to verify this with the named driver ?

The majority of insurers will need to get a scan of the users driving licence. If someone can temporarily lift your licence they can get around this, but you have bigger problems then.

Some insurers didn't ask for a licence scan, but many that didn't ask have begun to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

L1011 wrote: »
    The majority of insurers will need to get a scan of the users driving licence. If someone can temporarily lift your licence they can get around this, but you have bigger problems then.

Some insurers didn't ask for a licence scan, but many that didn't ask have begun to.

I put the GF as named driver on my car, she gave me her driving licence I scanned it over to the insurer, but I am sure I could get hold of her driving licence without her knowledge and do it if I really wanted to. They didnt ring her or anything to check if she knew anything about it.
    Likewise, I could get hold of my parents licences handy enough.
    So yeah, could easily be done and I dont believe insurers would check.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I put the GF as named driver on my car, she gave me her driving licence I scanned it over to the insurer, but I am sure I could get hold of her driving licence without her knowledge and do it if I really wanted to. They didnt ring her or anything to check if she knew anything about it.
    Likewise, I could get hold of my parents licences handy enough.
    So yeah, could easily be done and I dont believe insurers would check.

Fraudulently obtaining and presenting someones driving licence is likely an actual criminal offence, so rather more to work from for an insurer.

Advertisement