Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time to put our dog to sleep

• 05-04-2021 8:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭

10 year Caviar king Charles on heart tablets for last 2 years and maybe an injection every 6 months when he gets severe bouts of coughing. last injection was about 10 days ago but still coughing in morning, usually after these injections he would be fine for 6 months, mentioned it to herself that he might be suffering and may need to be put to sleep but she doesn't want to hear of it, she brings him to vet, but she not telling vet full story I think, what ye think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Is he still eating , drinking , going for walks ? Has an interest in life?

Why don’t you accompany your wife the next time she brings him to the vets ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Echoing above, if still eating, drinking, active and in good form, I'd be slow to euthanise.

Did you/she tell vet the injections have been slow to kick in?

Vet will probably only allow one person in for consult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Well he sleeps a lot I am always first up so I let him outside he di be wheese enough in the morning, He doesn't like to stay outside long now always looking to come in and sleep in his bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

We had the same problems with our Cavalier of 12 years. For the last couple of years she suffered from terrible bouts of coughing and wheezing amongst other things. We decided to keep her going with the injections as she still ate like a horse and enjoyed her walks etc.

We got a good 18 months through the injections. It was only in the last 3 or 4 months she got very bad, with the vet having to put her in an oxygen tent a couple of times after particularly bad wheezing bouts.

She eventually passed away in her sleep before we could make the decision. We didn't regret keeping her going as we got a lot more time with her, but in hindsight there was a point where we should have really put her to sleep in those last few months.

It sounds like your guy has some life left in him, but obviously its never an easy decision. I don't have any solid advice but best discuss it with both the vet and your partner. If you think he can keep trucking along without too much discomfort then maybe keep going with the injections, but obviously you don't want him suffering too much.

Advertisement