Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swaping my European licence for an Irish, will I retain the same

Options
  • 26-03-2021 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hello,
    I am French and have been living in Ireland for over 20 years. I have been told before I could get cheaper car insurance if I was swapping my licence for an Irish one but it is now very obvious when i want to add my son who is a learner, I am getting quotes €1000 cheaper if I had an Irish licence.

My fear in swapping are the following:
    1 I have a car licence but I also have a motorbike licence all sizes / categories, will both transfer across?
    2 I have both licences for around 30 years, will that also be obvious on the new licence, for instance, could some insurer consider me as a new driver.

I rang the NDSL but they were not helpful so really not sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From what I have read on this forum:
    1 everything will transfer across. Make sure to fill out the forms right.
    2 no, you will not be considered new driver. The only difference will be that you hold a full Irish licence now.

Advertisement