Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black caps now over winter residents?

Options
  • 24-03-2021 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

The other day, I noticed a black cap in the garden for the first time ever. He's been back a few times since. I thought black caps were summer migrants. Is there now an overwintering population, or is this one just very early?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

seagull wrote: »
    The other day, I noticed a black cap in the garden for the first time ever. He's been back a few times since. I thought black caps were summer migrants. Is there now an overwintering population, or is this one just very early?

https://birdwatchireland.ie/birds/blackcap/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

blackcaps are in my garden all year round - east clare

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭fiacha

Year round here in Dublin 'burbs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

We have a breeding population that arrives in late spring and departs in autumn, wintering in Spain/Portugal/north Africa. In the winter, we get migrant Blackcaps from central European countries. So the ones you see here in winter are different to the ones you see here in summer, though obviously they all look the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We have a breeding population that arrives in late spring and departs in autumn, wintering in Spain/Portugal/north Africa. In the winter, we get migrant Blackcaps from central European countries. So the ones you see here in winter are different to the ones you see here in summer, though obviously they all look the same!
    Roughly when do the migrants leave, do you know? My aggressive blackcap is still terrorizing my feeders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement