Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody ever repaired big scratches on a screen lens (Lynx II)?

Options
  • 15-03-2021 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

I have a Lynx II that I got on adverts for cheap (15 Euro) and I've also got it back to life, but the acrylic lens has scratches.
    I have tried Novus but not been able to get out the big blemishes and scratches

Anyone here ever restore one, or something similar ?

I'm looking at Youtube Videos of using varying grit sandpaper, but I dunno......
    Any suggestions ?

Or does anybody in Ireland do that sort of work ?

I see a lens on eBay currently in the US but would be the guts of 50 quid to get it including shipping so wondering if I have other options I can try first.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,486 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd say that's going to be next to impossible to do as you'll need it crystal clear to see through it properly.

Once you hit it with any type of sandpaper, the light is going to be refracting all over the place until you buff it completely perfectly clear again.

I take it this is the one you're looking at yeah?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Replacement-Screen-LENS-part-for-Atari-Lynx-II-2-system-part-parts/193946280979?hash=item2d28196413:g:RtMAAOSw~sBeI5a2

I'd say the costs needed/cost of getting someone else to do it for you are probably going to hit/exceed numbers like this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Yeah - that's the one
    I've put a BenVenn screen it it also, so I really want the lens to be good.
    Might just bite the bullet and get that one - they don't come up that often....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Steve X2

New lens is your best bet. But you might try the Novus polish and see if that does the job. I use Novus 1 and 2 on my acrylic laser engravings when needed and it works well.
    Its not super cheap though, so a new lens might work out the same cost.

sugarman wrote: »
    I havent tried it on a Lynx but I used "PolyWatch" (Its for restoring plastic watch faces) and a Dremel on my GameGear screen and it came out like new with little effort.

I've been hesitant to try it on the Lynx though since you cant get replacements for them yet. I'd nothing to lose on the GG.

I've already tried Novus - maybe I need to try harder......

I havent tried it on a Lynx but I used "PolyWatch" (Its for restoring plastic watch faces) and a Dremel on my GameGear screen and it came out like new with little effort.

I've been hesitant to try it on the Lynx though since you cant get replacements for them yet. I'd nothing to lose on the GG.

Well, If I decide to try and get a replacement I'd have nothing to lose by trying it - where did you get it ?

• Advertisement

Amazon. Was less than a fiver. Definitely worth a shot.

Cool! I'll keep you posted !

Actually @sugarman - which dremel attachment did you use ? Just got a new Dremel 4000 last week :D

So I said I'd give it a whirl - I got some polishing wheels off Amazon and I used Novus 3,2 then 1 and I also used the Polywatch

You can only see the remains of the scratch at very specific angles with the screen off - when it's on and you're playing it you can't see it at all.

So it's pretty much fully restored now apart from a battery cover.

It's been full recapped, has a BennVenn screen and an ElCheapoSD - all in for about 150 (I originally bought it for 15 Euro as it was kinda borked).
    Not too bad I reckon - here's some pics:
    xFGhZuqh.jpg
    jaZ2e1Th.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looks fantastic!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Looks fantastic!

Thanks - I'm well pleased with it - just need to get a battery cover and maybe an external power supply also !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,486 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's ridiculously good, fair play to ya! did the process take long?

Tempted to pick up some of those polishing wheels and give it a go myself.

Only took about 30 mins (if even that). These are the polishing wheels I got on Amazon.
    I did it at a fairly low speed (be prepared for splatter) and took my time - I cleaned the screen between novus 3 and 2 using the novus 1, to make sure there was no number 3 left on screen before moving to number 2

BTW - here's how it originally looked (this is the pic from the adverts ad - I should have take one myself but didn't):
    Lynx-Original.jpg
    (Click for bigger pic)

That long scratch vertical-ish on the bottom right of the screen was pretty deep

Advertisement