Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance start date

Options
  • 21-03-2021 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭

I bought a new car yesterday and paid for the insurance online before I left the garage - I assumed the start date would be yesterday as that is the date I input to the form.
    I checked the email information afterward and it says the policy starts from 20th April not 20th March. Could this be a mistake? Or do you have to wait a month for insurance to kick in?
    In which case how are you supposed to legally drive the car home from the garage?
    I had been insured as a named driver previously as opposed to in my own name.
    I got stopped by the guards today and have been asked to produce my tax and insurance documents within 10 days - I’m worried I will get fined because the document will state the cover doesn’t start for another month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

You select the date when buying insurance. You may have made a mistake on that part or maybe the insurer made a mistake. You may have to wait 30min before the policy kicks in certainly not a month.

If you've being stopped by the Gardai, you are in trouble unfortunately. Driving with no insurance can be a ban and/or fine and points. You need to contact your insurer and see what can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭YellowLead

micah537 wrote: »
    You select the date when buying insurance. You may have made a mistake on that part or maybe the insurer made a mistake. You may have to wait 30min before the policy kicks in certainly not a month.

If you've being stopped by the Gardai, you are in trouble unfortunately. Driving with no insurance can be a ban and/or fine and points. You need to contact your insurer and see what can be done.

Thanks, will do. Hopefully it’s just a clerical error that can be corrected tomorrow (no customer service on sundays). Hopefully because I paid yesterday and have the receipt from yesterday it will be seen as an honest mistake.

Advertisement