Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decision on venue location

Options
  • 11-03-2021 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

When both of you are from different parts of the country how do you decode where to get married?
    He’s from about 100 miles away from where my family are based but we don’t want to have it on the doorstep of one side and have the other travel all across the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

A metal halfway point? Or just somewhere you both want to get married, whether it's nearby or not.
    We're both from Dublin, but got married in cork cos we loved the place.
    I probably wouldn't do it now, with covid especially, but at the time never really have it a second thought.
    Ireland isn't that big really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I just want to try to avoid declines because it’s too far to travel for anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

do you live in your respective areas or have you a home of your own. Would that area suit you? I wouldn't worry about declines because people have to travel too far. one way of possibly eliminating this might be to have your ceremony at the location of your reception.

We live in Dublin, I’m from the south east and he’s from the midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

It's a small island. 100 miles is nothing to travel for a wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

I'm from Meath, we live in Tipp and his family are down here. We got married in Meath.
    They whinged but they would have whinged regardless!

I know it’s kind of tradition to get married where the bride is from but there’s other things to consider

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I wouldn't worry about 100 miles OP - if people complain about that, jesus wept.
    I would have no problem travelling 100 miles to the home of either the bride/groom. What is worth complaining about is where a bride and groom from Ireland drag you to the back-end of Italy or France or somewhere to some place they have no link to other than indulging themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gael23 wrote: »
    We live in Dublin, I’m from the south east and he’s from the midlands

Kilkea Castle in S. Kildare gets good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

After being locked up locally for the past year, I would love to be invited to a wedding far far far far away.

If choosing somewhere completely random, just make sure there are accommodation options for all budgets. If it’s remote, maybe organise a bus to where the accommodation is so that it’s easy for guests to get there. Worst thing you could do to encourage declines is pick a fab location in the middle of nowhere where rooms are insane prices and there’s no alternative accommodation within reach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭ax530

if travel location big decider just go for Athlone it the middle of the country so should be accessible by all

ax530 wrote: »
    if travel location big decider just go for Athlone it the middle of the country so should be accessible by all

He’s from Athlone! I’m from the south east so it’s about 2.5 outs drive between each

Thinking maybe somewhere like Portlaoise? The Heritage killenard looks stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Honestly, I'd wonder about booking anywhere at the moment. Yes there will be a backlog but there's no guarantee what hotel will be there by the end of the summer. If its a wipeout this summer, there will be casualties and you don't want to be the one out of pocket.
    I still wouldn't worry about dragging people 100 miles OP. I can't wait to go to a wedding, in fact invite me will you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

People are going to get their noses out of joint no matter what you do. So just do whatever YOU want!

I've definitely made the mistake of trying to please everyone except myself when it comes to planning our wedding...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Most weddings I have been to have had the reception close to where the bride lives as more often than not she would get married in her home place.
    I have traveled to most areas for weddings it might add a bit of expense of having to stay Over for some but you are going to get complaints no matter where you settle on.
    I would also agree on the poster above about waiting to book anything yet as I know a few venues near me are in serious trouble and it’s unclear if they will reopen at all.

Yes of course won’t be happening any time soon, just getting ideas together.
    I like hotels rather than country house type venues

Advertisement