Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candidates Tournament 2020/2021 Resumption

Options
  • 16-02-2021 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

Nepo and MVL lead on 4.5/7 with a chasing pack of Wang, Caruana, Giri and Grischuk on 3.5/7 a full point further back. The winner of the candidates will face Magnus in Dubai in Q4 2021 at the Expo 2020 (now 2021 due to Covid) on the Expo island in Dubai!

https://en.chessbase.com/post/fide-resumes-the-candidates-tournament

The Candidates tournament was postponed at the midway stage back in Q2 2020 when Coronavirus hit Russia and various borders were closed.

6TJhIVC.png

Schedule

2fsDkZK.png

Expo Island Dubai

ezZCCMu.png

Official Website

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

I just hope that MVL doesn't win as he would have no chance whatsoever v Carlsen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

sodacat11 wrote: »
    I just hope that MVL doesn't win as he would have no chance whatsoever v Carlsen.

I think Fabiano Caruana has the best chance of beating Magnus if he can get past the Candidates, he is 100% focused on Classical OTB Chess, not even bothering to take part in the online Champions Chess Tour., the first round aside.

I think Anish or Nepo could also put up a good challenge, the rest of them would likely be well beaten. A full point lead is a substantial enough lead going into the 2nd half of the Candidates for both MVL and Nepo, it doesn't leave much room for error for Fabi, Anish or among the rest of those on 3.5 points.

Advertisement