Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Business emails since October

Options
  • 10-04-2021 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭

I haven't received business emails since October/November, I have received emails regarding invoices etc but none from potential customers, I know things are quieter because of covid but I think there must be some other issue at play here.

anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭sundodger5

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I haven't received business emails since October/November, I have received emails regarding invoices etc but none from potential customers, I know things are quieter because of covid but I think there must be some other issue at play here.

anyone any ideas?
    Email yourself from a different address and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭pgj2015

sundodger5 wrote: »
    Email yourself from a different address and see what happens.

I did that, they came through.

I still get calls from potential customers but no emails, its really strange. maybe it is covid related.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Who hosts your email account - gmail or eir or what?

Do you access it using an email client like Outlook or using an app on your phone or using your browser?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭shawki

Did you put out advertising that could have had a typo in the email?

Are they in your spam folder?
    Also is there even the slightest error in the email address whereever you have it published?

• Advertisement

Who hosts your email account - gmail or eir or what?

Do you access it using an email client like Outlook or using an app on your phone or using your browser?

Gmail.

I just access it mainly using my browser. use pc, laptop and phone to open it.

shawki wrote: »
    Did you put out advertising that could have had a typo in the email?

People see my website after a google search. I have had the site nearly 2 years, got plenty of emails until Oct/nov.

Are they in your spam folder?
    Also is there even the slightest error in the email address whereever you have it published?

not in spam.

People see my website after a google search. I have had the site nearly 2 years, got plenty of emails until Oct/nov.

Have you double-checked the website? Any chance it is broken or that the email link is broken or incorrect? Try sending an email by clicking the link on the website. Try it from a few different devices and networks.
    Gmail.

I just access it mainly using my browser. use pc, laptop and phone to open it.

Any chance that someone else has access to the Gmail account? When was the last time you changed your password? Today would be a good day to change it.

Have you double-checked the website? Any chance it is broken or that the email link is broken or incorrect? Try sending an email by clicking the link on the website. Try it from a few different devices and networks.

All seems fine.

Any chance that someone else has access to the Gmail account? When was the last time you changed your password? Today would be a good day to change it.

I changed my password lately as well.

• Advertisement

someone has access to my website though. I will be taking over control of it myself soon.

someone has access to my website though. I will be taking over control of it myself soon.

Double-check that the email link on the website or contact us form is actually sending email to the right email address.

Double-check that the email link on the website or contact us form is actually sending email to the right email address.

just tried both there, both working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

You could check with the hosting company to see how many hits it's getting. Has it dropped down google searches maybe?

DopeTech wrote: »
    You could check with the hosting company to see how many hits it's getting. Has it dropped down goodle searches maybe?

No. There are new sites to similar businesses but I am still in the top 3 when you google search.

I am still getting calls from the web site but no emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

You use Gmail, is Gmail the actual provider (@gmail.com) or are you using Google for your own @domain.ie address.

Any chance you have a rule or filter setup in the Gmail settings? Is there any other apps / software that has been setup to use this account with POP3 or IMAP?

advertsfox wrote: »
    You use Gmail, is Gmail the actual provider (@gmail.com) or are you using Google for your own @domain.ie address.

Any chance you have a rule or filter setup in the Gmail settings? Is there any other apps / software that has been setup to use this account with POP3 or IMAP?

Not 100% sure to be honest. im not very techy. But seeing as I have sent emails from other accounts to my business email, I would imagine it is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Escapees

You may be seeing and using a cached version of your website/page that is not up to date. Ask someone you know to try sending an email via the link on the website from their PC or phone...

Escapees wrote: »
    You may be seeing and using a cached version of your website/page that is not up to date. Ask someone you know to try sending an email via the link on the website from their PC or phone...

will do.

• Advertisement

I was on my phone there and went on to my website. it says connection is not secure. not sure if this was on it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Escapees

I was on my phone there and went on to my website. it says connection is not secure. not sure if this was on it before.

This could be just to do with your mobile or WiFi connection. Main thing is to ask someone from another household to check that your website and listed email address works - you can just say that the website was updated and you want to double-check all is well.

This could be just to do with your mobile or WiFi connection. Main thing is to ask someone from another household to check that your website and listed email address works - you can just say that the website was updated and you want to double-check all is well.

ok, I will see what happens with that.

That could certainly be a deterrent to people thinking about emailing you. It could be down to certificates expiring maybe. You need to get control of your website asap and get help to solve these issues.

I got someone to do this, the emails came through no problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Did you check Spam?
    Is it hosted by a 3rd party or gmail?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Did you check Spam?
    Is it hosted by a 3rd party or gmail?

nothing in spam.

its a .ie web site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

That could certainly be a deterrent to people thinking about emailing you. It could be down to certificates expiring maybe. You need to get control of your website asap and get help to solve these issues.

Yep, and there's a few other reasons it could show that warning
    (eg if the the company that signed the cert isn't trusted anymore)

If a first time customer saw something like that on your site with a big red warning dialog I'm not sure they would proceed

If you accept the warning I don't think you see it again on the same device, you could try opening incognito or private browsing to check if it comes up for you (basically if you open incognito it doesn't have cookies or whatever else stored, it's like a fresh install of the browser)

Coupled with the face you receive the test emails you tried I'd guess it's an actual drop off in traffic visiting your site. When you get back control of it there are different analytics libraries you could add to measure traffic to your site if that's something you think would be useful

Someone else suggested as well trying a different network, some networks will block certain mail engines if they think it's spam or otherwise malicious, be no harm to get someone on vodafone, eir or 02 to check if you can find someone to check it out

Good luck with it

Yep, and there's a few other reasons it could show that warning
    (eg if the the company that signed the cert isn't trusted anymore)

If a first time customer saw something like that on your site with a big red warning dialog I'm not sure they would proceed

If you accept the warning I don't think you see it again on the same device, you could try opening incognito or private browsing to check if it comes up for you (basically if you open incognito it doesn't have cookies or whatever else stored, it's like a fresh install of the browser)

Coupled with the face you receive the test emails you tried I'd guess it's an actual drop off in traffic visiting your site. When you get back control of it there are different analytics libraries you could add to measure traffic to your site if that's something you think would be useful

Someone else suggested as well trying a different network, some networks will block certain mail engines if they think it's spam or otherwise malicious, be no harm to get someone on vodafone, eir or 02 to check if you can find someone to check it out

Good luck with it

Thanks, I will look into all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

out of interest did you ask any of the clients that called you why the called and didn't email?
    are your calls up versus email compared to oct/nov?

This may not be anything to do with your email or website it could be that people are preferring to call you than email.

Do you have any ads for your site? do they show your phone number and not your email address?

From a personal perspective I 100% prefer emails than calls and go as far as telling people the best way to get hold of me is via email. I have one potential supplier who just does not get this and has daily tried calling me from 2 different numbers and I have told them to schedule a call or send an email (they acknowledged both but still randomly call and don't email)

Advertisement