Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eagle attacking Pigeon?

Options
  • 06-04-2021 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Hi all, it's my first time posting on this sub forum. I just witnessed something in my garden that I've never seen before... what looks like an eagle landed in the garden with a pigeon in its claws, and just sat there on top of the pigeon.

I went outside and scared off the eagle and both flew away, pigeon seemed OK.

I've never seen this bird, which I am assuming to be some type of eagle. Is this normal eagle behaviour? :confused:

I managed to get a short video which I've posted here.

https://youtu.be/DQZaQrHczSg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Looks like a sparrow hawk and they often kill pigeons. I often find pigeon feathers in my garden. I stopped using a bird feeding station as the sparrow hawk was using it as a takeaway food supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Possibly a female sparrowhawk?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Pops_20

wildwillow wrote: »
    Looks like a sparrow hawk and they often kill pigeons. I often find pigeon feathers in my garden. I stopped using a bird feeding station as the sparrow hawk was using it as a takeaway food supply.

That's interesting, because I found a pile of feathers in the back garden this morning and just assumed it was a cat that killed a bird. Forgot about it until now, perhaps it was the hawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Thats a female Sparrowhawk.

Honestly, rushing out to 'save' the prey species, is not the right reaction. The hawk has worked hard and expended lots of energy to make a successful hunt, and you have stopped her reaping the dividends of that. Especially in this cold weather, the sparrowhawk having a solid meal before nightfall may literally make the difference between survival and not. She will also have her own young to feed very shortly.

Would you rush out to save/interfere should you see a blackbird with a worm, or a songthrush with a snail?

Leave nature to itself, I appreciate it can look graphic but it is completely....natural

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

How would you feel if I came into your kitchen and kept you from eating your dinner, leave the birds alone and let nature do its thing, if people stopped interfering in nature we would be a lot better off

• Advertisement

Just to add, I dont mean to be giving out... I am sure that spar will do fine in the long run. Its an amazing sight to see in the back garden. If you've seen scattered feathers in your garden previously, you are probably on her regular beat, you are lucky!
    Hopefully you will see her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I recently witnessed a crows dismantle a poor pigeon in my workplace a bit crazy to see but interesting all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

You should send this video into RTE. Would equal their wildlife coverage for 2021. :)

It is sad that most people have no knowledge about Irish wildlife. It's sad and a sad reflection of the priorities of the state, Irish education and RTE.

Saw some seagulls mobbing a sparrowhawk on Easter morning in the sunshine. First time to actually see one. Plus we have buzzards wheeling around regularly now. Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Pops_20

TedR wrote: »
    Thats a female Sparrowhawk.

Honestly, rushing out to 'save' the prey species, is not the right reaction. The hawk has worked hard and expended lots of energy to make a successful hunt, and you have stopped her reaping the dividends of that. Especially in this cold weather, the sparrowhawk having a solid meal before nightfall may literally make the difference between survival and not. She will also have her own young to feed very shortly.

Would you rush out to save/interfere should you see a blackbird with a worm, or a songthrush with a snail?

Leave nature to itself, I appreciate it can look graphic but it is completely....natural

I understand what you're saying, I didn't even think about it to be honest, just felt like the right thing to do. I'll know better next time.
    You should send this video into RTE. Would equal their wildlife coverage for 2021. :)

It is sad that most people have no knowledge about Irish wildlife. It's sad and a sad reflection of the priorities of the state, Irish education and RTE.

Saw some seagulls mobbing a sparrowhawk on Easter morning in the sunshine. First time to actually see one. Plus we have buzzards wheeling around regularly now. Wonderful.

I'm all for learning more about Irish wildlife, but living in the city, it's not something I have ever seen before. I take note of wildlife in the city and can name all the regular birds that I see, but honestly I have never seen a sparrow hawk in my life. That's city living I guess :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

No worries. Take your time.

Grew up in the country in the 70/80s. Saw no bird of prey, except a pair of Barn Owls once. Just read about these birds in books.

Saw a female Peregrine Falcon in the city centre and also not far from a dart station. Buzzards are actually becoming a common sight now. There were wiped out in Ireland and have just come back recently.

I think there are lots of opportunities round and in Dublin to see all kinds of wildlife. You have the coast and mountains, sea, rivers and also the Phoenix park ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Ive spotted i believe to be a kestrel hovering out side Limerick City on a few occasions ! Beautiful creatures!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I’ve been living on the Louth coast for the last few years and I am starting to notice quite a few birds of prey - I am kinda clueless with what I am looking at - so have downloaded a BirdID app - from Cornell I think and it is quite useful.

I know there are some barn owls nearby and they are a fascinating sight at duck when they are hovering high over the fields

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

I would of done the same as yourself.
    I to have never heard of a sparrow Hawk.I dint know birds would eat other birds.

Reading this would now stop me from interfering if i was to see this happening.
    City folk do have much to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Mother Nature is cruel but let her be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Saw this in my back garden about 10 days ago. Puff of feathers and looked up to see a v similar scene as was shown in OP's video. I went out to get a bit closer but it flew away, carryring the pigeon with it. I thought it was a kestral myself, but could have been the sparrow hawk.

Happened in a flash but some sight all the same. Im in Dublin 11 so it can be an urban occurrence too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Feeding garden birds has become very common, driven by the food manufacturers.

People need to be aware of hygiene as in washing the containers regularly as chaffinches can spread disease from the feeders.

Be aware that any food outside will attract rats. I've seen one curl itself around a mesh feeder and eat from it.

Sometimes nature requires a helping hand but often the result is an imbalance.

I have planted lots of flowering and fruiting shrubs as field hedges, protected from animals by a double fence.

This is a better solution for feeding birds but not everyone has the space or ground.

I am very disappointed in the miles of laurel hedging used as field boundaries in recent times. Mixed native hedges offer better habitats for nature.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

barn owls are a great sight to see, they're quite rare.
    they've suffered badly from the use of rodenticide.

I'm in Dublin 7, near the Phoenix Park and this happened in my garden a few weeks ago.
    I went out and interfered with nature, and I'll do the same if it happens again.
    I have a tiny back garden, and a dog, I don't want to deal with half eaten pigeons all over the place, as well as keeping the dog away!

Plenty of pigeons, the sparrowhawk will get another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No worries. Take your time.

Grew up in the country in the 70/80s. Saw no bird of prey, except a pair of Barn Owls once. Just read about these birds in books.

Saw a female Peregrine Falcon in the city centre and also not far from a dart station. Buzzards are actually becoming a common sight now. There were wiped out in Ireland and have just come back recently.

I think there are lots of opportunities round and in Dublin to see all kinds of wildlife. You have the coast and mountains, sea, rivers and also the Phoenix park ...

We have two Buzzards in the field beside ours. One grabbed a pidgeon from the trees out back recently but it got free.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

wildwillow wrote: »

Yes, looks like a sparrowhawk ok. I had one in my garden in celbridge once.. Nice birds of prey ok, and yes they kill Pigeons for food ok, very natural...

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin 7, near the Phoenix Park and this happened in my garden a few weeks ago.
    I went out and interfered with nature, and I'll do the same if it happens again.
    I have a tiny back garden, and a dog, I don't want to deal with half eaten pigeons all over the place, as well as keeping the dog away!

Half eaten pigeons all over the place :-)
    If thats your level of understanding, you should also worry about the sparrowhawk swooping down to take the dog next. Cos thats about as likely.

Half eaten pigeons all over the place :-)
    If thats your level of understanding, you should also worry about the sparrowhawk swooping down to take the dog next. Cos thats about as likely.

Dog is too big.
    I'm not one bit sorry I don't understand whether the sparrowhawk eat all the pigeon or whether he leaves half it lying in the garden and I didn't have time to google.
    I don't know why you would insult someone about their level of understanding of the sparrowhawks dining habits And then don't even tell them what they are!

Well the dog is safe enough anyway, so I wouldnt worry too much about the hawks dining habits.

Well the dog is safe enough anyway, so I wouldnt worry too much about the hawks dining habits.

Yep, the dog is safe enough :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think you'd need to unduly worry about half eaten pigeons all over the place. it'd be a rare occasion for a hawk to kill or bring a kill into your garden; i suspect dealing with the remains of a pigeon once a year wouldn't be that onerous; certainly not compared to cleaning up what the dog itself leaves behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

I had two wood pigeons residing in a huge pine tree at the end of my garden a couple of months ago.
    Now I have one wood pigeon and a very neat pile of plucked feathers beneath the tree. I'm guessing it was a sparrohawk but I'm a little surprised because I'm not in a particularly rural area (not a lot of woodland about) and I assumed sparrowhawks required wooded landscape to thrive.

I emphasive plucked because it's my understanding that if the feathers are broken, scraggy then it was most likely a cat or fox who was the perpatrator.

i don't think you'd need to unduly worry about half eaten pigeons all over the place. it'd be a rare occasion for a hawk to kill or bring a kill into your garden; i suspect dealing with the remains of a pigeon once a year wouldn't be that onerous; certainly not compared to cleaning up what the dog itself leaves behind.

Which is why I scared the one that had the pigeon in my garden away :)

You're doing great work. By your logic, predators are bad, especially on your property. Such nonsense.
    I think you probably know that yourself.
    I doubt anything I say is likely to change your mind so Ill try to leave it at that.

Thx to OP for the original pic/video, it was interesting to see.
    Great to see that birds of prey are generally doing well and people are getting to see them more, despite some attitudes

bubblypop wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Pops_20 wrote: »
    I went outside and scared off the eagle raptor and both flew away, pigeon seemed OK.

i know you meant well, but by doing that your interfering with nature and prolonging the death of the pigeon :(

Advertisement