Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

If you're prepared to wait, ok maybe for up to a couple of months, try Alliexpress for stuff. I;ve never got ripped off so far and little or no postage. Sometimes you wait so long when it arrives it's like a real suprise. Currenly looking at mtb and road shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you're prepared to wait, ok maybe for up to a couple of months, try Alliexpress for stuff. I;ve never got ripped off so far and little or no postage. Sometimes you wait so long when it arrives it's like a real suprise. Currenly looking at mtb and road shoes.

Anything that you've ordered been decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

I feel aliexpress is only marginally better than wish and everything I got was total garbage that went straight into the bin except for some cycling jerseys and bibs which were decent. not sure if id trust a helmet or shoes or pedals from sites like these

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

I bought these earlier this year - great job, although not sure what will happen when the boa gives up the ghost as it always does
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970731213.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1b944c4d6ZMONk

on the basis of that I bought these winter boots, and they are crap! poor fit and not particularly warm or comfortable
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32946482391.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1b944c4d6ZMONk

You take your chances with ali
    I have mtb shorts purchased 3 yrs ago still going strong...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    I feel aliexpress is only marginally better than wish and everything I got was total garbage that went straight into the bin except for some cycling jerseys and bibs which were decent. not sure if id trust a helmet or shoes or pedals from sites like these

They're the same thing along with alibaba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Just because its on ali express doesnt mean its a bargain. Like for groupsets youre never going to beat shimanos economies of scale, deore is a bargain even with covid increases. And for finishing kit etc you can usually get better value from online bike shops own brands like brand x etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Some good deals on WTB tires on chain reaction right now. Picked up a WTB Vigilante for 26e.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/wtb-vigilante-tcs-tough-fast-rolling-tyre/rp-prod128384

Cateye 800 lumen lights 35 pound:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/CatEye-Unisexs-Front-Bicycle-Light/dp/B07QX14K7Z/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Tony04 wrote: »
    Just because its on ali express doesnt mean its a bargain. Like for groupsets youre never going to beat shimanos economies of scale, deore is a bargain even with covid increases. And for finishing kit etc you can usually get better value from online bike shops own brands like brand x etc.

You are right on both counts, I know because I have bought both

Bought a 10spd mini group about 18 months ago, out of curiosity more than anything else - pure crap, the rear derailleur had so much play it was impossible to set up and the shifter was terrible

Finishing kit - I've bought pedals in the past that broke....

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

Cycling Accessories and clothes I've found really good value on Alliexpress. Yes, I'd avoid components.
    Tempted to try Road and MTB shoes soon. Any recommended sellers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Let's just keep this thread for good deals and bargains, and no chit-chat.

Edit: Apologies if I come across as a backseat mod., it's just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 goonso

• Registered Users Posts: 30 goonso

I'm looking for a 1x 11 slx/xt crank set with or without chainring and a press fit BB if anyone has come across a good deal recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I've used Ali for bars, saddles, droppers, brakes, bolts, group set (12sp), cranksets, clothes and even forks (bought a yari and a suntour epicon), near everything was as described tbh.

I'd have to concur with Icyseanfitz
    I've bought a lot of hope brake pads (about €1.50 a pair), frame and wheel bearings, chain rings, saddles, DU bushings, tools and loads more and it's all been as expected.

I bought this bearing press set from eBay for about twice this price a few years ago, it's on Ali now at an amazing price.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002246039658.html

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭covey123

air wrote: »
    I'd have to concur with Icyseanfitz
    I've bought a lot of hope brake pads (about €1.50 a pair), frame and wheel bearings, chain rings, saddles, DU bushings, tools and loads more and it's all been as expected.

I bought this bearing press set from eBay for about twice this price a few years ago, it's on Ali now at an amazing price.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002246039658.html

What is the quality like?

covey123 wrote: »
    What is the quality like?
    I've had no issues with anything I've bought.

I got some cheap saddles for $10 that were pretty flimsy but as expected given the price.
    The bearings, brake pads, discs etc have all been excellent.
    I even got some ABEC5 bearings for my Hope front hub and they were silky smooth.
    The bearings I use on the suspension are cheap and cheerful but that's the way forward for suspension linkages, they're only acting as a bushing and precision is unimportant.

A few items I could list that I've had good experiences.

Chain guide / bash guard
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32469867808.html
    This Fouriers guide is an excellent product.
    I have since tried another brand that looked identical but was cheaper, however it came with an aluminium guide wheel / sprocket which was inferior to the rubber one that comes with the Fouriers ones. I will buy a few replacement Fouriers parts instead.

I haven't had a chain drop in 3 seasons of bike park with it.

Brake Discs
    I've gone through lots of these brake discs over the years from various sellers and just ordered another pair from here for about €15 delivered.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000099760038.html
    Stamped stainless steel but I've had no issues with them, perfectly true on arrival.

Chain Gears
    Narrow wide chain gears are about €6 delivered, multiple brands but all the same product.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32833995257.html
    I think they were about €10 when I bought them.

DU Bushings for rear shocks.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32410437926.html
    Same as any other I've used for cents each

€27 Derailleur and Shifter Combo

Also running this derailleur and shifter now on my DH bike, the arm is too long but I may actually put a wider range cassete on it now.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000288779066.html?

No clutch but otherwise no complaints

I generally spend most of the summer in the Alps so all the cheap wear / consumable parts make it very inexpensive to keep a bike running great despite all the lift mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Have a santa cruz bronson on order so those wheels would be a nice upgrade. Apart from being lighter, any other benefit to carbon wheels? Would they be as durable as aluminium?

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    Have a santa cruz bronson on order so those wheels would be a nice upgrade. Apart from being lighter, any other benefit to carbon wheels? Would they be as durable as aluminium?

Unless you really want carbon wheels I wouldn't be bothered, particularly on a bronson. I know guys that have raced the mega and Andes pacifico on carbon rims without issues and I know other weekend warriors that have bust them on the smallest of rock gardens. The biggest benefits would be for xc type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i know its not online but what'd you think of this aldi one

fryup wrote: »

You get what you pay for. If it's to go up and down fireroads it might be okay for a while, until its components start to fail. I doubt it would last long on trails. A mid-entry level bike is around 3,000, and this is almost ten times cheaper: that should tell you all you need to know.

fatbhoy wrote: »
    You get what you pay for. If it's to go up and down fireroads it might be okay for a while, until its components start to fail. I doubt it would last long on trails. A mid-entry level bike is around 3,000, and this is almost ten times cheaper: that should tell you all you need to know.

I wouldn't fancy going shopping with you :eek: You'll get an entry level bike for far less than that and you'll get some high level bikes for not much more.

The aldi bike is a hybrid at best it'll be fine for pootling along green ways and forest trails. I've seen worse coming down some hills.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I wouldn't fancy going shopping with you :eek: You'll get an entry level bike for far less than that and you'll get some high level bikes for not much more.

:pac:

I meant a medium-entry level bike, i.e. at the cheaper end of the "good MTB category". To me, a high-end would be 5 - 8K, medium 3 - 5K, and low-end 2 - 3K.
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The aldi bike is a hybrid at best it'll be fine for pootling along green ways and forest trails. I've seen worse coming down some hills.

I agree: fine for fireroads. I've seen a lot of crappy bikes lately coming down Skyline in TK. Always amuses me.

I'm fairly sure the canyon spectral is for sale under 3k and I'm not sure I'd call it entry level and commencal clash for similar money depending on spec. A lot of lads get carried away thinking spending 8k gets them.a better bike where in reality its utter madness.

The pricing of bikes has gotten ridiculously out of control in all areas be it road or mtb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

€8,000 - €9,000 for an "analog" MTB is about the top level for pricing..

However it's going to seem cheap when you compare it to top-end eMTB's which are coming onto the market for up to €14,000!

So i'd say for a sub 20kg top spec MTB, bring at least €10,000 to the bike shop! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

fryup wrote: »

I'm no expert but I would say some of the comments above are a bit off the reality scale. €2 to €3 k for an entry level bike is bonkers.

The bike will work fine up and down hills. It won't be as durable or light or fancy as a 'high end' mtb but if you are looking for an entry level bike, to try out a few trails you probably won't go too far wrong. You will knock €350 worth of fun out of it on the beginner / intermediate trails that are on offer.

I appreciate that a more expensive bike might be nicer, but that looks better than the raleigh mtrax i was tearing around three rock on in the 90's so i can't see why that can't be used. It has discs, not cantis and a suspension fork vs a straight steel one.

Just my opinion of course. But I would take a chance on it if i was looking for an entry level bike and it suited my budget. And with Aldi you have the three year no quibble warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

oinkely wrote: »
    I'm no expert but I would say some of the comments above are a bit off the reality scale. €2 to €3 k for an entry level bike is bonkers.

The bike will work fine up and down hills. It won't be as durable or light or fancy as a 'high end' mtb but if you are looking for an entry level bike, to try out a few trails you probably won't go too far wrong. You will knock €350 worth of fun out of it on the beginner / intermediate trails that are on offer.

I appreciate that a more expensive bike might be nicer, but that looks better than the raleigh mtrax i was tearing around three rock on in the 90's so i can't see why that can't be used. It has discs, not cantis and a suspension fork vs a straight steel one.

Just my opinion of course. But I would take a chance on it if i was looking for an entry level bike and it suited my budget. And with Aldi you have the three year no quibble warranty.

The Raleigh MTrax bikes were IR£500+ offerings - which at the time would probably be a rough equivalent of having a bike in the €1000-1500 range today (from the point of view of how they were specced, not literal inflation). That €350 offering above would be grand if you have a kid cycling to and from school and not much else, maybe pootling along a greenbelt "trail", but ticknock would be the death of it (or the rider) a great deal sooner than later.

I do agree that €2000+ for a "beginners" bike is madness;

Edit: I'll qualify that comment about ticknock.

People have taken Walmart "specials" to Whistler and youtubed the experience, so I should imagine that a €350 bike would survive much of what Ireland could throw at it (at least initially), but the real question is would you enjoy the experience and would you come back for more?

Thinking back to the early 90s when my friends & I would ride up Ticknock over summer holidays, we were on bikes that would have fallen below the aforementioned m-trax in terms of specs and general market focus; some of us were on bikes aimed at mountain biking (such as it was back then) albeit more at the novice level, and some of us were on what were coined "ATB"s (all-terrain bikes) as opposed to MTBs - think Raleigh Lizard or Raleigh Activator and you'll get the idea. Heavy lumps that looked the part but were useless on anything more rough than gravel with a few potholes. Whilst all the bikes were grand for the likes of the fire-road winding up the mountain to the masts & three rock, anything more involved resulted regularly in crashes and occasionally bits breaking (mostly bike bits mercifully). So my comment is meant along the lines of rougher terrain wouldn't be long either having the bike break, the rider break, or the bike breaking the riders will to continue trying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement