Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Anyone Eat Meat Yesterday?

Options
  • 20-04-2019 12:35am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone eat meat yesterday, on Good Friday?

Growing up eating meat on both Ash Wednesday or Good Friday was a no no but as I'm not religious I dispensed with this observance about 20 years ago.

Anyone still observe the tradition and if so, why?

Anyone here remember when eating meat apart from fish on ANY Friday was taboo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Granny thinks I had a fish dinner and thats all that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I had fish yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I had sausage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭This is it

Had a lovely steak sandwich for lunch. I'm not religious so I pick and choose which traditions I follow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

This is it wrote: »
    Had a lovely steak sandwich for lunch. I'm not religious so I pick and choose which traditions I follow :)

I had a lovely steak and if I had white bread now id clean the frying pan with the bread and eat that as well... Love a good steak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I didn't eat meat on Good Friday but it wasn't for religious reasons. I didn't get a chance to have anything at all in work, except for two packets of crisps, and I had fish and chips when I got home.

Most Fridays, they serve fish in the canteen in work, and on the 'no-meat' days you mention, they offer kippers for breakfast as an alternative to pig-meat. They still have the normal meat options so there's no real harm. Turkey was also on the menu today for lunch, seeing as how it's Christmas or something... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

So I was at the butcher and I says to her, I says: 'Nothing like starting the day with a big piece of meat inside ya' as I winked at her theatrically.

tenor.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I'd a piece of halibut fit for Jehovah

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Does an omelette with cheese and home cooked ham count? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Granny thinks I had a fish dinner and thats all that matters

Why is fish seen as some sort of torture by some people ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yip, me.

But I'm a heathen and going to hell anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yip, me.

But I'm a heathen and going to hell anyway.

All aboard...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I had fish. But that's because I fancied a bit of fish and not out of any religious observance

• Site Banned Posts: 11 rays cyst

I want to make a meal of it

Jew pork, Jew pork

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I didn't, it's perhaps the only holy Joe tradition I observe, stopped going to mass about 20 years ago, only attend now for funerals and weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

gctest50 wrote: »
    Why is fish seen as some sort of torture by some people ?

Its not a rasher sandwich so its automatically loses

• Registered Users Posts: 30,293 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I had fish but I like fish.
    I think techinacally your really meant yo fast on Good Friday and eat very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Had Steak Sambo for lunch and a nice Cod and Chip from the local chipper for dinner. Had a few G&T’s this evening too. Feck all that Religious codology.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

Had salmon but gave the dog a chicken wing, am I in trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If God exists and we meet him, or St Peter or whoever is on the door that day, do you really think your diet on certain days of the year are going to stop you getting in?

If it will, then I say God's being a little bit childish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Holy Duck wrote: »

You’re grand, dog should say a few hail Mary’s or he’ll end up in hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mazwell

I had fish and chips and a row with my husband cus he reckons chicken isn't meat

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

mazwell wrote: »
    I had fish and chips and a row with my husband cus he reckons chicken isn't meat

Its poultry..he is correct 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I don't think I did, only coz I'm visiting my parents and they don't cook meat on Good Friday. I don't eat meat every day anyways, so didn't really miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Pork is essential on Good Friday - that way you can offend the Taigs Islamists and Joos in one go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Holy Duck wrote: »

The dog might be in trouble for other reasons. Save yourself the vet bills - don't give the dog chicken bones.

Otherwise, a few 'our fathers' will see you through.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I had fish yesterday, but then had a meat feast pizza last night. Both were quite tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

For lunch I had a bean chilli made by my son who has gone vegetarian for lent.

but as I was at a funeral in the morning, I had a few of the most amazing sausage rolls after the service......

and Pork chops for dinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I accidentally had goujons before I went to bed Thursday night after midnight, so once it was broken I did the right thing and had a fry and more goujons yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I have to say the burgers in Ferrycarrig Park on matchday are delicious. Dunno if there is much meat in them though, my soul might still be pure

Advertisement