Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclists, on the way home from work this evening

• 10-04-2019 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

Coming home from work this evening and the traffic was going a lot slower than it should be. As there's an incline on the road I could see what was causing the backlog. About 10 cars in front of me, there was 2 cyclists, side by side, just plodding along oblivious to the backlog they were causing. As there was a lot of traffic coming the other way , overtaking was near impossible. It continued like this for 4 miles till my turn off came up. Even looking in my rear view mirror and all I could see were more cars behind me being held up by these two.

Many a time I've seen tractors or digger drivers have the decency to pull in , if they're causing a backlog but I've never seen cyclists do it. They think they own the road. If drove at the speed the were going , the garda would pull you in. Maybe they should bring in a law banning side by side cycling , from half 4 to half 6 in the evening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭Allinall

Hold tight there.

Just nipping out for the popcorn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Two gob****es,
    Another one that really annoys me is Blanchardstown is full of cycle paths yet they insist on using road holding up traffic.
    It should be law if there is a cycle path they can't use the road.
    Also a ban on lycra would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Moved to cycling forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

You should post it on the cycling forum for a proper reaction...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

Sick of cyclists bashing car drivers and car drivers bashing cyclists.

Everyone get together and bash the sh1t infrastructure and put pressure on the government for improvement.

Cars aren't going away anytime soon and neither are bikes.

We need better infrastructure. Talk to your TD.

• Advertisement

Two gob****es,
    Another one that really annoys me is Blanchardstown is full of cycle paths yet they insist on using road holding up traffic.
    It should be law if there is a cycle path they can't use the road.
    Also a ban on lycra would be great

Cycling lane conditions are often as sh1t as some of the bad roads of the 80s.

Talk to your TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Truckermal wrote: »
    You should post it on the cycling forum for a proper reaction...:p
    I've had enough of cyclists for one day 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Coming home from work this evening and the traffic was going a lot slower than it should be. As there's an incline on the road I could see what was causing the backlog. About 10 cars in front of me, there was 2 cyclists, side by side, just plodding along oblivious to the backlog they were causing. As there was a lot of traffic coming the other way , overtaking was near impossible. It continued like this for 4 miles till my turn off came up. Even looking in my rear view mirror and all I could see were more cars behind me being held up by these two.

Many a time I've seen tractors or digger drivers have the decency to pull in , if they're causing a backlog but I've never seen cyclists do it. They think they own the road. If drove at the speed the were going , the garda would pull you in. Maybe they should bring in a law banning side by side cycling , from half 4 to half 6 in the evening.

What section of road did this incident happen on?

I find it hard to believe that 2 cyclists created such a hold up for 4 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

In before the bicycle lock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

learn some relaxation techniques

• Advertisement

That doesn't address why the cyclists were needlessly two abreast and holding up rush hour traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

There's just something a bit boring about the whole cyclist motorist thing now.

That doesn't address why the cyclists were needlessly two abreast and holding up rush hour traffic.

But nobody can address this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Poor form in fairness. They could easily have turned off and delayed you all the way to your drive. They just don't make the effort anymore.

Maybe they should ban cars from the road between 4:30 and 6:30. There'd be no more traffic jams then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

They'll maintain it's better to go double, or the cycle tracks are full of craters, blah blah, etc etc, but really they're just a shower of defiant twats who love causing obstructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The stocky auld fella's clad head to toe in Lycra are the worst - the dreaded mamil: middle-aged man in lyrca. You’d wish they’d just fück off back to the golf clubs so they can display their sense of entitlement there instead of on public roads.

jjpep wrote: »

It is surely

One side: "blah blah blah... MAMIL... Lycra.... blah blah blah... breaking lights... arrogant.."

Other side: "blah blah blah... High vis not necessary, breaking lights ... ignorant driver almost killed me... "

Everyone should be absolutely screaming their heads off at government to do something for the good of ALL..

FFS the Dutch government bought the bloody land required, the length of breadth of the county and sorted out out decades ago. No problem in Ireland with CPO for motorways and more recently the talk of expanding the roads for more Dublin Bus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Teepinaw wrote: »
    Cycling lane conditions are often as sh1t as some of the bad roads of the 80s.

Talk to your TD.

Instead of putting down that awful grit that turns into sand after a few buses and trucks churn it up they could just paint part of the actual road that will last longer.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

The stocky auld fella's clad head to toe in Lycra are the worst - the dreaded mamil: middle-aged man in lyrca. You’d wish they’d just fück off back to the golf clubs so they can display their sense of entitlement there instead of on public roads.

Best thing about threads like this is that it attracts all the posters out of their closet with their fascination of other men in tight clothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Talk to your TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I drive the M50 everyday. Everyday there lines of cars in front beside and behind me. All i can see for miles is lines of cars. Not one of the feckers ever pulls over for me! Maybe we could ban cars from the M50 between 4 and 7pm? Apart from me that is cos I'm like more important than everyone else.

I drive the M50 everyday. Everyday there lines of cars in front beside and behind me. All i can see for miles is lines of cars. Not one of the feckers ever pulls over for me! Maybe we could ban cars from the M50 between 4 and 7pm? Apart from me that is cos I'm like more important than everyone else.

And I even pay 10 tolls a week for this, GAH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

There's a difference between being stuck in traffic and causing traffic,which is what they're doing. All they'd have to do is pull in for 30 seconds and let everything pass .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Opened the thread. Scanned it for clichés. Found them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

jjpep wrote: »
    It's very tedious. And it's like we forget that it's people in control of the things. If you're a gob****e on a bike you'll be a gob****e in a car and a gob****e on foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,168 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I saw a car break the lights this evening - through a pedestrian crossing.(I really did)
    All motorists are complete, ignorance, self important twats. This must also include me.

Can I also be an arshole cyclist?
    Oh, and an aggressive, dangerous pedestrian?

Oh I don't know who to hate now!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

this.....
    Sick of cyclists bashing car drivers and car drivers bashing cyclists.

Everyone get together and bash the sh1t infrastructure and put pressure on the government for improvement.

Cars aren't going away anytime soon and neither are bikes.

We need better infrastructure. Talk to your TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

I was cycling home this evening with my mate and this aggressive twat in a car was up my ass for 4 bloody mil.....

Oh wait. Wrong thread....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

But nobody can address this.

It reduces the distance required to overtake. They are still narrower than a car. And it prevents drivers from driving to close by overtaking without actually pulling in to th other lane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Coming home from work this evening and the traffic was going a lot slower than it should be.

You don't even pay road tax mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is the op not displaying a huge sense of entitlement in his post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

ted1 wrote: »
    Is the op not displaying a huge sense of entitlement in his post

Yea but motorists like him pay "road tax" so they own the road :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Ryath

467b4c0394ffdddcb1df06415949a248.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Story of every day in dublin. There is no more ignorant self entitled group of road users than cyclists. Always 2 or 3 abreast, ignoring red lights, it says a lot for how alert and attentive our drivers are that hundreds of them arent killed due to their own stupidity every day.

• Advertisement

There's a difference between being stuck in traffic and causing traffic,which is what they're doing. All they'd have to do is pull in for 30 seconds and let everything pass .

They are traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Ryath wrote: »
    467b4c0394ffdddcb1df06415949a248.png

Many of them bang on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I’m help up by motorists more when I’m cycling than I’m held up by cyclists when I’m driving, where are all these traffic jams caused by cyclists?

Op are you sure you weren’t driving in a cycle track like that fool in Australia recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Story of every day in dublin. There is no more ignorant self entitled group of road users than cyclists. Always 2 or 3 abreast, ignoring red lights, it says a lot for how alert and attentive our drivers are that hundreds of them arent killed due to their own stupidity every day.

Yes because motorists are so well behaved in Dublin......

https://twitter.com/alan_downtown/status/1114174896890949632

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

... says a lot for how alert and attentive our drivers are that hundreds of them arent killed due to their own stupidity every day...

...It's a miracle...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

marvin80 wrote: »

A van, taxi and Merc. Theres a surprise..

marvin80 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/alan_downtown/status/1114174896890949632

whataboutery doesnt make me wrong

At this point theres only one solution to the issue.
    477527.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

whataboutery doesnt make me wrong

At this point theres only one solution to the issue.
    477527.jpg

Judging by many of your posts there’s more than just cyclists you’d railroad in there.

amcalester wrote: »
    Judging by many of your posts there’s more than just cyclists you’d railroad in there.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

It’s ok this PJ Coogan lookalike in his per-joe 405 is on his way down to sort everything out. :D
    https://youtu.be/2PFRdEUN240

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement