Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More ridiculous injury payouts

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I don't understand what you are trying to say above.

Costs would be significant. This case went to trial. Costs in preparing a trial are significant. Legal fees, engineering fees, medical fees etc. Getting to trial stage is expensive. There were lots of witnesses too so costs in this case could easily be in excess of €30k for the defence.

There are two losers in this case. Us insurance payers because we will end up covering the insurance company's costs, and the plaintiff's solicitors who will probably not get paid for their work.

Why wouldn't they apply for costs?

Insurance company has to pay them now anyway

Why not try and reclaim some of this from the plaintiff?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

wally79 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they apply for costs?

Insurance company has to pay them now anyway

Why not try and reclaim some of this from the plaintiff?

I wholeheartedly agree. The insurance company should have applied for costs. That's what I would do in that situation.

But here's the problem.

Supposing I owe costs to the insurance company (€50k). I can't pay it or I won't pay it. So I don't pay it. What option has the insurance company then? They then have to go back to court and spend more money in trying to get me to pay. They may have some success if it's a case of me not bothering to pay. But they'll have zero success and it will be a huge waste of money if I can't pay. It'll end up costing them more.

That said, I'd still apply for costs and register a debt against the plaintiff just to try and fcuk up his credit rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Another one:

Woman arrives on scene of a RTA, in Jan 2017.

She sees the badly injured body of the driver.

She rings for help.

Subsequently, the sues the estate of the deceased driver, and the other vehicle, Bus Eireann, for PTSD.

The High Court's Mr Justice David Keane awarded her 87k.

The car insurer, FBD, appealed.

They lost the appeal.

if we taxed shamelessness we'd be a great country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

It’s not often I’m shocked but I am shocked by that. I happened upon a head on collision on a main road near me a few years ago. There was a man lying dead in the road after being thrown from the car and a woman trapped inside who later had to have her arm amputated. Gave a blanket out of my car to put on top of the poor dead man and rang ambulance and guards. Often thought back on it and shuddered but never ever in a hundred million years would I dream of doing that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement