Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland rejoining the British Commonwealth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The only highlight I heard was Varadkar saying he wants to give back to workers. I thought that would've made him a god here in AH so this is suprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

If Ireland can overcome its inferiority complex and chip on its shoulder re the British, then, rejoining the Commonwealth is a undoubtedly a good step. Its like an old boys club. Ireland would be reforging links with fellow countries from the age when we were all in the Empire. It doesnt add up to that much, but every little helps. Its a heads Ireland wins, tails it doesnt lose anything. And is a nice early link up to Brejoining the UK if we should ever need that option as well.

I'd like to see us rejoin in the morning, I'm completely in favour of a united Ireland but believe we need to show unionists that we are willing to accept a link to the UK, the commonwealth is a harmless club nowadays, it should not be beyond us to sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I Googled 'how does the commonwealth work?' and got the article below.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/how-exactly-does-the-commonwealth-work-anyway

One thing about the commonwealth...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_the_Commonwealth_of_Nations

road_high wrote: »
    If rejoining the Commonwealth was a sop to northern unionists as we head towards a United ireland then its of no real consequence to me- if there ever is a United ireland there’ll have to be that space for people of British allegiance. I don’t think it’s something people in the south can quite grasp and not sure we’re ready to share that space at all as were so used to seeing things simply in Irish terms

There are a million unionists we need to try and have an arrangement with, joining a tokenistic fraternity like the commonwealth isn't much of a compromise on our part

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If there's a measurable value to doing so and if there is no requirement to recognise any monarch as head of state then maybe I'd think about it.

But I'd definitely be more no than yes. It would seem a little retrograde to me.

If it amounted to nothing more than symbolism to appeal to backward looking Unionists then it wouldn't be something I'd be in favour of.

• Advertisement

There is a negotiated future and then there is pointless appeasement. What integrity would we have if we bend too far? I understand the flag and anthem stuff (who cares if they change) but joining an organisation with a monarch as the head is a step too far. Ireland and a new united Ireland will be a republic because that is what the majority will want. Just as the DUP claim they are Brexitting because the majority want to.

You can be in the commonwealth without having the british monarch as head of state

India and Pakistan enough said.

India is an up and coming super power

steves2 wrote: »
    Stunned that a DUP knuckledragger came out with something so ridiculous and a roomful or Fine Gaelers applauded that..really I am lost for words. I am in the live-and-let-live camp when it comes to Irish and British relations, I have no interest in a united Ireland and think should the time come that they want to go for it then we could all see if it will be good for us all. But defo not now, they are all far too interested in each others religion and flegs etc.
    That a room of Irish people would applaud the DUP, given the rubbish and utter lies they've been peddling the last couple years, is embarrassing.

Jeffrey Donaldson is an outlier in the DUP, relatively moderate, Simon Coveney ruled out the prospect of us rejoining the Commonwealth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    India is an up and coming super power

It really, really isn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

It would cause a civil war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Can people please stop using the word "re-joining"?

And to answer the question Ireland will not be joining the Commonwealth. Ever. As the above poster said there will be all-out civil war. We've had over a hundred years of division at this point, we don't want more. Suggestions that Ireland joins the Commonwealth are f*cking outrageous.

lawred2 wrote: »
    If there's a measurable value to doing so and if there is no requirement to recognise any monarch as head of state then maybe I'd think about it.

But I'd definitely be more no than yes. It would seem a little retrograde to me.

If it amounted to nothing more than symbolism to appeal to backward looking Unionists then it wouldn't be something I'd be in favour of.

Are Canadians and new Zealanders " backward"?

It really, really isn't

It's a major economy, hardly a wasteland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

let's see how brexit plays out before we go making any rash decisions....

I've been saying it for months but the UK will not be leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭raxy

I'd vote yes for a joke safe I the knowledge that people wouldn't be stupid enough to vote yes. It worked out for the british!

Oh wait, they actually did vote yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    It's a major economy, hardly a wasteland

Irrelevant, as long as it is politically unstable internally and unable to conduct external matters with Pakistan and China, then it will never be anything more than an also-ran

• Registered Users Posts: 67,030 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Maybe a GFA style solution could solve this...if unionists and partitionists wish to identify as Commonwealthers then they are welcome to do so. Little Union Jack flags will be supplied to them when the head of the commonwealth comes to visit.

CloseThread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

Maybe a GFA style solution could solve this...if unionists and partitionists wish to identify as Commonwealthers then they are welcome to do so. Little Union Jack flags will be supplied to them when the head of the commonwealth comes to visit.

CloseThread.

I think that's what shinners might call "parity of esteem".

1641 wrote: »
    I think that's what shinners might call "parity of esteem".

Everyone gets what they want - you cannot bate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

prinzeugen wrote: »
    If you compare ex British territories with those that were or still are ruled by France. The ex British ones are advanced and normally civilised.

The French ones are civil war torn ****-holes most cases.

Yep - just look at Burma, Sudan, Zimbabwe, Pakistan..............

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »

And to answer the question Ireland will not be joining the Commonwealth. Ever. As the above poster said there will be all-out civil war. We've had over a hundred years of division at this point, we don't want more. Suggestions that Ireland joins the Commonwealth are f*cking outrageous.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Aegir wrote: »
    Why?

Because it's a ****ing sickening idea. If it ever even got up and running (and I'd fear it because of the loathing of everything Irish our new generations have in an effort to look trendy) then I hope the few good people left absolutely destroy the place before letting it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

myshirt wrote: »

From what I can tell, the Commonwealth means sweet f*ck all.

Aegir wrote: »
    Why?

Britain is diverging from the rest of the main union to which we belong. Nobody knows if they will go fully rogue or semi rogue and who knows they could use the commonwealth to continue their irrational spat with the EU.
    We should stay well clear of any alliance with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ireland has always been more or less the bold one of the ex colonies. We really haven't played ball since partition imo.

Quick question are there other countries that the English invaded who are now independent and not members of the commonwealth?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Britain is diverging from the rest of the main union to which we belong. Nobody knows if they will go fully rogue or semi rogue and who knows they could use the commonwealth to continue their irrational spat with the EU.

Baring in mind too , Francie that rumours abound this morning of a potential coup in Downing Street and the imminent demise of John Delaney , Theresa May could throw her hat in the ring for running of the FAI .
    Coincidence , I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

gozunda wrote: »
    Ireland has always been more or less the bold one of the ex colonies. We really haven't played ball since partition imo.

Quick question are there other countries that the English invaded who are now independent and not members of the commonwealth?

Apparently Britain invaded all but about twenty countries in the world at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

gozunda wrote: »

America would be the obvious one.

Because it's a ****ing sickening idea. If it ever even got up and running (and I'd fear it because of the loathing of everything Irish our new generations have in an effort to look trendy) then I hope the few good people left absolutely destroy the place before letting it happen.

that doesn't answer the question. Why is it a sickening idea?

the UK voted to leave the EU, not turn in to North Korea :rolleyes:

The commonwealth isn't a political union, so there is no possible way the UK could use it in that way, even in the remote possibility it wanted to.

This is just pure and utter uneducated scare mongering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Nice bit of politicking by FG on this one. I'd be all for it myself.
    Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Not a chance.
    They are leaving. Bye bye pals

The Commonwealth is leaving where exactly? Think you don't know what the Commonwealth actually is.
    Your Face wrote: »
    No and Norn Iron shouldn't join the Republic either.

They are not, so nothing to worry about on that one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement