Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Misogyny in the Seanad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

How in the name of Jeebus is that misogyny?

As that lady Gabrielle quoted at the end says, it undermines actual misogyny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

My fu*kin head hurts with all this sh*te these days !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I'd say senator Clifford-Lee is some fun on a night out. Gendered language me b0llix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

#ibelieveher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Laughable.

Should’ve been told to calm her tits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not just defending a hometown boy but this charge against JB is just ludicrous.

Water John wrote: »

Less of the gendered language.

Water John wrote: »

Thought it was funny that it was poor oul Jerry that got it in the neck, he's not exactly the type that usually riles up de wimmin.

7bYM.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

He said 'she was trying to assert HERself'.

Such misogynistic language.

Female pronouns should be outlawed. They are misogynistic in their very nature.

That bloody her word. We all know where your coming from when you say she, her, herself.

Such a derogatory term.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

"calm down dear..."

"calm down dear..."

I believe the correct non-gendered term is "settle pet"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I wouldn’t be getting too worried about any of this stuff. In the real world there’s still men and women meeting each other, flirting, drinking, enjoying each other’s company, and banging each other’s brains out.

This identity politics stuff is only what you make of it. It has no relevance to how average lovely humans live their lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

A women shouldn't interrupt a man while he is talking. She should have been reprimanded by the chairman.

Gravelly wrote: »
    I believe the correct non-gendered term is "settle pet"

Would sugar tits be acceptable? Especially with the prevalence of man boobs.

This identity politics stuff is only what you make of it. It has no relevance to how average lovely humans live their lives.

If you could just use people there instead of humans, we'll be all right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I wouldn’t be getting too worried about any of this stuff. In the real world there’s still men and women meeting each other, flirting, drinking, enjoying each other’s company, and banging each other’s brains out.

Hey don't be ruining the poor snowflakes fun now with your real world, they need other snowflakes to get offended so they can get offended in turn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Hey don't be ruining the poor snowflakes fun now with your real world, they need other snowflakes to get offended so they can get offended in turn
    To be fair though, as an old-school feminist (well I don't usually refer to myself as such but that's probably what I am) this sort of stuff frustrates me as it makes a mockery of what women fought for - equality, not special treatment and relentless victimhood and seeking offence when zero was intended. It's bad too when an utterly innocuous comment is deemed misogyny at official level, and a respected, decent public representative who did nothing wrong whatsoever is villified. He absolutely deserves an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You can't be thin skinned or emotionally fragile in politics.

These offence merchants are in the wrong profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Christ almighty we have our fair share of space cadets hanging around Leinster House. Terry Leydon backing her up is just as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Out of her this person’s own mouth... this sort of nonsense will Stack up against her them at the next election.

Great to see strong women entering politics...
    sticks and stones...

2ujqr91.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

gendered language

So now we can't say him, her? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

It should be a criminal offence to have dail/seanad suspended over this.

Clifford Lee is an unpleasant person. Championed by the top brass of FF against the more established local FF in fingal.
    Mickey Martin playing gender politics no wonder she is a lost cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Jaysus, we've hit a new low. Seems like she doesn't like what your man was saying so she lobs a misogyny grenade to shut him up.
    I'd say a lot a women are getting really embarrassed by that kind of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Obviously has the painters in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Probably an improvement on what usually passes for debate on the Seanad to be honest. At least it may have woken up some of the more hungover senators dozing down the back.

The whole upper house is a disgraceful patronage machine for talentless political cronies, all funded by your taxes.

The real victim in this "misogyny" scare is the Irish electorate who voted to preserve this gravy train on the false promise of reform now being fed this self serving drama in lieu of diligent public service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Seems like she doesn't like what your man was saying so she lobs a misogyny grenade to shut him up.

Yeah, sounds like it alright. Reminds of this from the Australian senate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/seanad-suspended-as-cork-senator-jerry-buttimer-accused-of-making-misogynistic-comments-886898.html

"When Ms Clifford-Lee interjected in the debate, Mr Buttimer said: "I know Senator Clifford-Lee is trying to assert herself here but it is important to listen as well."

Senator Máire Devine took exception to this saying it was "not good language" while Ms Clifford-Lee described it as "gendered language"

Would he have accused a man who he felt wasn't listening of "trying to assert himself"? I doubt it. So yeah, his language was probably gendered. Is it a big deal? Not really. Should the Fianna Fail senator get over herself and find less trivial things to worry her pretty little head about? Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

"In the real world". Is the Seanad not the real world? That's sort of how people usually dismiss this stuff, "ah it's only a few no hopers on twitter looking for virtue points", but clearly this **** is festering.

All the identity politics rubbish from America is on its way to a town near you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Ah the Seanad...the biggest cringe is that its broadcast live for other countries to see. Some of the so called "good work" debates are more akin to two farmers standing waffling at the crossroads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I saw this yesterday, you'd have to laugh, a real try-hard scenario.

But the whole affair looked like a cheap Hall's Pictorial Weekly set, the florid faced senators with bad teeth, questionable ties and bog accents, the gaudy drapes, the cheap looking seats with great big harps on them, the blond pretty one in the leopard print getting het up to drive the drama, the cosy fat cat beside her egging her on, and to round it out Senator Norris standing up to splutter in nasal outrage from time to time. What a palaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think it was quite a patronising comment. And if I used it here now in response to another poster - "I know (insert your own username) is trying to assert him/herself here but it is important to listen as well", it comes across imo as passive aggressive because you can almost hear the unspoken "dear/petal" at the end of said statement but not necessarily misogynistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Thankfully what happens in the Seanad is completely unrelated to what goes on in the real world. Those 2 wouldn't last 5 minutes in a real job with that sort of carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Safe space feminists are going to destroy feminim.

I'll just leave it at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

This is up there with the time in 2014 the Seanad was recalled from the summer break to discuss Israel and crisis in the middle east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Suckler

Would he have accused a man who he felt wasn't listening of "trying to assert himself"? I doubt it. So yeah, his language was probably gendered. Is it a big deal? Not really. Should the Fianna Fail senator get over herself and find less trivial things to worry her pretty little head about? Definitely.

Would he have accused a man who he felt wasn't listening of "trying to assert himself"? I don't doubt it. So yeah, his language wasn't gendered.

If we could introduce a Section 31 for everything that comes out of Seanad Éireann, Ireland would be a better place. We need to, in the words of a great humanitarian back in the 1980s, starve them of the oxygen of publicity.

Historically it really is an awful, awful relic of the English ascendancy in Ireland - an anti-democracy which in its modern form is represented by its position as a reward for rejected-at-election politicians (e.g. Brian Hayes & Mary O'Rourke), sycophants of the governing taoiseach (e.g. the appointment of Eoghan Harris by Ahern or of Marie-Louise O'Donnell by Kenny), and pushing a narrow range of agendas from a self-styled elite in this state (for instance, anything at all from the ineffably ideologically blinkered Ivana Bacik, who must be heading towards being the most consistently rejected general election candidate in Irish election history).

Suckler wrote: »
    Would he have accused a man who he felt wasn't listening of "trying to assert himself"? I don't doubt it. So yeah, his language wasn't gendered.

I don't agree with this. That is not something one man would say to another. Now I could hear a woman saying it to a man alright.

She'd be fecked if she went to France or Germany as, unlike English, those languages are actually gendered.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I don't agree with this. That is not something one man would say to another. Now I could hear a woman saying it to a man alright.

So we need a second language to use when addressing women because you can't imagine those words being said between two men? Nonsense.

It's bullsh1t from a senator with an agenda.

• Advertisement

I think this whole storm in a teacup has a lot to do with a failed election candidate trying to get her profile up now that there are rumblings of an election on the way. Hubby is political editor of a newspaper so probably knows the tricks one needs to get media coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Misogyny in the Dail 1992-style:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Suckler wrote: »
    So we need a second language to use when addressing women because you can't imagine those words being said between two men? Nonsense.

It's bullsh1t from a senator with an agenda.
    I can see both sides here tbh.

What Buttimer said is incredibly condescending. And it's not something he would say to another man.

So, probably unintentionally, there's clear sexism in his statement.

Losing the plot about "misogyny" though is a bit far. There's a considerable distance between someone accidentally straying into sexism (we ALL do it) and actual misogyny.

Comhra wrote: »
    Misogyny in the Dail 1992-style:

If a politician said that today they'd have to have emotional support animals in the Dail for months afterwards.

Gravelly wrote: »
    If a politician said that today they'd have to have emotional support animals in the Dail for months afterwards.

Hahaha :D ''emotional support animals''

The art of being assertive has very definite connotations with women, Go to any assertive classes or talks about assertiveness and you won't see a man there. And I really don't think men accuse each other of trying to be assertive. So it is imo quite gendered language but do I think it is a hanging offence or anything near? No.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    The art of being assertive has very definite connotations with women, Go to any assertive classes or talks about assertiveness and you won't see a man there. And I really don't think men accuse each other of trying to be assertive. So it is imo quite gendered language but do I think it is a hanging offence or anything near? No.

Wouldn't it be a better tactic though to have a sense of humour and proportion, and to pick battles worth fighting? There are plenty of those, goodness knows - and instead now, there is this silliness getting attention. To get snippy about every little thing actually undermines the idea of robust, competent, well-balanced females in high public office. It makes women look like they have buttons all over them just waiting to be pushed.

She would have been better to keep her powder dry and the next time he interrupted her to say the exact same thing to him, cool and calm. And if he objected to show him the house record. The Art of War is subtle, if that's what people want.

Zorya wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be a better tactic though to have a sense of humour and proportion, and to pick battles worth fighting? There are plenty of those, goodness knows - and instead now, there is this silliness getting attention. To get snippy about every little thing actually undermines the idea of robust, competent, well-balanced females in high public office. It makes women look like they have buttons all over them just waiting to be pushed.

She would have been better to keep her powder dry and the next time he interrupted her to say the exact same thing to him, cool and calm. And if he objected to show him the house record. The Art of War is subtle, if that's what people want.

Honestly I totally agree. Your suggestion is a perfect way of dealing with it. It's a very small thing in the big scheme of things and I'm not trying to blow it out of proportion. But I suppose there are things we all react to just because they have the effect of the squeaky chalk on a blackboard sound on us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

My boss has just asked me to do a favour and mentioned a colleague "can you ask her to pitch in too ?"

OMG the monster, he used gendered language!!! I feel faint!!!!

Jesus wept!!

seamus wrote: »
    I can see both sides here tbh.

What Buttimer said is incredibly condescending. And it's not something he would say to another man.

So, probably unintentionally, there's clear sexism in his statement.

Losing the plot about "misogyny" though is a bit far. There's a considerable distance between someone accidentally straying into sexism (we ALL do it) and actual misogyny.

Condescending; definitely. The words were in now way sexist/misogynistic. Men & women have been condescending/rude/abrupt to each other before and will continue to do so. It shouldn't be tolerated and she was in her right to address it.

Instead she tried to direct it down the misogyny/sexism route to suit her agenda and that also shouldn't be tolerated. Her antics cheapen the sexism/misogyny issue's that you rightly say "we" some times intentionall/unintentionally stray in to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement