Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bring back "No Disco"

• 03-01-2017 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭

It must be off the box for over 10 years now but rte haven't had a decent music show since.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GuitarTown

You're in luck, I just seen the other day they just have, well kinda. Donal Dineen from the original is involved in it and its just online. Seems interesting

https://arbutusyarns.net/2016/12/25/this-aint-no-disco-episode-i/

https://thisaintnodisco.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be

Whisper words of wisdom

It was dung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭lc180

It must be off the box for over 10 years now but rte haven't had a decent music show since.

But sure RTE have the Nathan Carter show, what more do ya want in life......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I'll stick with John Creedon on the radio, I think.

Radio 1, I must be getting old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Most of the young ones here will have no idea what the OP is talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

eviltwin wrote: »
    Most of the young ones here will have no idea what the OP is talking about.

Oh no! When did I get old?

RIP Uaneen Fitzsimons :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Let me tell you about a little show called Other Voices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I loved No Disco but could never warm to Other Voices at all. I know I might be getting on a bit now but I don't think that's the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

They always seem to have too narrow a musical focus when compared to No Disco.

Just set up the petition and I'll sign it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

He used to say mellifluous a lot. Mellifluous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

maudgonner wrote: »
    I'll stick with John Creedon on the radio, I think.

Radio 1, I must be getting old.

+1 for Creedo, always a great show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Is that even still on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I loved No Disco but could never warm to Other Voices at all. I know I might be getting on a bit now but I don't think that's the reason.

Other voices is for neck beards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Other voices is for neck beards

Beard necks even

• Site Banned Posts: 33 O. K. Corral

Yer man Leagues O'Toole was an awful gob****e

Uaneen tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

gramar wrote: »
    He used to say mellifluous a lot. Mellifluous.

He also used to play Protection a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Yer man Leagues O'Toole was an awful gob****e

Uaneen tho :(

Terrible loss :(

Dear RTÉ, please bring back that show that very few people watched. We all promise to series link it and fast forward through the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

I memba one episode, that particular night it p!ssed down with snow outside, you just knew none of the country lane school buses would even start the next morning and there would be a definite day off. Sat down beside the fire watching No Disco with a hape of toast and tae with no worries about not doing your homework for the grim bastards up in their grey $hitkeep in the morning, was brilliant.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

Donal Dineen was a decent dj, think he used to play in RiRas on Wexford St in the late 90s and churn out a set unlike any other, FSOL, the Aphex Twin etc.

Ah memories. I was sad when Uaneen Fitzsimons died. I remember thinking how cool and interesting she seemed.

Yer man Leagues though. Wtf sort of name is Leagues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Definitely was a highlight of weekly TV watching for me as a teenager growing up - introduced me to a lot of bands and genres of music. Despite how old fashioned a programme of it's type is now in the world of Youtube and Spotify et al I certainly think it couldn't do any harm if it was reinstated to the schedules. Something like double bills of 2 Broke Girls might have to make way but, hey - no pain, no gain. Or, in that case - no pain, all gain.

I remember hating that Leagues fellow at the start, but I dunno he seemed to me to be alright really. Just a big music fan, who knew his stuff and, in particular, put in a lot of work to help to bring about a renewed appreciation of Planxty among people who largely wouldn't be caught dead listening to anything resembling traditional music. He deserves credit in my view.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Other voices is decent I find ,no disco was great though, the era of rte making anything decent is long gone now though, most of there money is spent on there so called "stars" salaries :rolleyes: is it any wonder they can't make anything decent when tubby is getting half a million a year!

Other Voices seems to cater mainly to that "guy with guitar softly singing about girl who doesn't love him" genre, no?

No Disco had stuff like Jah Wobble and Orbital and Bjork and was actually interesting.

Anyone remember The Sound Room on TV3 with Darragh Purcell?

Introduced me to the Manic Street Preachers

Good times

Oh how I long for the halcyon days of yore

Anyone remember The Sound Room on TV3 with Darragh Purcell?

Introduced me to the Manic Street Preachers

Good times

Oh how I long for the halcyon days of yore

Does anyone still have their "Darragh Purcell is a spa" t-shirt? Used to spot a couple of them at gigs ... probably circa Witness festival, so round about 2000.

As for Leagues, didnt particularly like him as a TV presenter, but he's brought some good acts over under his Harmonics presents promotions in recent years. Having said that he was facing an impossible task in replacing Uaneen

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Other Voices mainly feature SCWAGs (Some c*nt with a guitar) singing softly and drenched in reverb. It's OK in small doses, but generally, the show lack variety

Purcell was so far up his own hole lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Other Voices mainly feature SCWAGs (Some c*nt with a guitar) singing softly and drenched in reverb. It's OK in small doses, but generally, the show lack variety

Ireland seems to produce an unusually high number of ugly men with a beard and a guitar singing about unrequited love. They usually tend to go for women who appear emotionally cold, and who they always spot riding around town on her bicycle following the rejection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Ah memories. I was sad when Uaneen Fitzsimons died. I remember thinking how cool and interesting she seemed.

Yer man Leagues though. Wtf sort of name is Leagues?

His given name is Laurence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I have a rake of No Disco episodes (or parts of) recorded on VHS in the attic. If I ever get around to digitising them I'll stick them on youtube and post a link here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

To be honest I always found Dineen's delivery a bit flat... I would've preferred just the videos / music without all the links in between. Could've done it like the old Chart Show with a banner with some facts and figures relating to the video being played.

Anyway with YouTube and the way music is consumed now, there's virtually no need for a music video TV show. You can watch whatever music videos you want on YT, you don't have to wait to be shown something.

The only option would be a live performance TV show, but again that's been tried many times in many ways. Jools Holland seems to be the only one that's kept on going. And again, you can watch live performances on YouTube, from gigs often the same night as the gig.

Perhaps a new No Disco could become more of a magazine show - music news, interviews, some video and live content, and short, documentary style "articles".

However, the problem is that back then, No Disco catered for the "indie" crowd, playing that kind of music (a broad definition for sure). Nowadays, that doesn't really exist anymore. Besides the fact there aren't really any indie labels left, the modern millenial music listener doesn't care if the music they listen to is on a big or small label, or what category it falls under. Just look at Pitchfork - they feature any kind of music, from R&B to rock, metal, electronic, and jazz - so what kind of music would No Disco feature? Get that balance right and they've got themselves a worthy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

I don't really agree that No Disco catered for just the 'Indie' crowed to be honest. I always thought it was the closest thing that Ireland ever got to a John Peel. I don't think such shows are irrelevant, if you're on YouTube, it still depends on your own personal taste or knowledge in order to seek out certain music, whereas No Disco would play stuff you probably wouldn't have thought to search for on YouTube. In terms of music TV, there wasn't even a TV show like it in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

More of a beatbox fan myself

• Advertisement

Plastic Orange was clearly the jewel in RTEs musical crown

Advertisement