Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do your parents influence your behaviour?

Options
  • 02-01-2017 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭

Are there things you won't do or risks you won't take due to possible reflection on or opinion of your parents?

I know I've a few things I hold back on doing for fear of disappointing mine, nothing much controversial. That doesn't make much sense though - the best thing for parents is to see their child not giving a fk (within reason) and being their own person. Would you be a different person if your parents were no longer around?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I have no idea who id be without them. I aspire to be more like both of them because they're the kindest people I've ever known. Sometimes I feel like I've failed them in certain ways and maybe deserved more from me. But when I'm about to do some things I'm not sure about, whether it's morally or just logistically, I ask myself what they would do, because somehow they always seem to know best. Cherish them while you still can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

No way. My mam stopped keeping an eye on me one weekend after I brought my new girlfriend over to the house. After the pleasantries were exchanged, me & her retired upstairs to "watch a DVD"

I stuck the volume up to drown out the noise, but my mam was having none of it. She stood at the bottom of the stairs, calling me. "F-ck Sake!" I thought "I may go check what she wants"

So I disentangled myself, strode over to the top of the stairs, stark bollock naked, johnny hanging off me. "Whatcha want???"

I was left largely to my own devices after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

^^^ your poor mother

Yes, it's important to me that they think highly of me and are proud of me. I've a lot of respect for them both as people and I value their opinions on things, I seek and take their advice often. I think the world of them, they're great role models.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Directly, no: they were very careful not to bring me up to make decisions based on what I thought they'd want.

But of course they played a huge part in shaping the adult I have become.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

osarusan wrote:
    ... they played a huge part in shaping the adult I have become.

Absolutely

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Interesting qestion - I would say that I do want my mother to know I'm happy. I don't think she's too fussed about the details, just as long as I'm healthy and happy.

My father is a different story. We haven't spoken in 20 years now, but if he is disappointed in me or even despises me I know I'm on the right track :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Shakira the She Wolf was raised by wolves and she turned out fine.

Nomsayin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Course they do, just look at the "Children's table manners" thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No because no matter what I do she would have a problem with it so I just do my own thing and say nothing. With my own children I have raised them to be their own people and make their own path in life. They would never look for my approval and I wouldn't want them to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Until my twenties hugely. Then I realised I wasn't doing it for them and since then I've had a far happier time of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Well both my parents were and still are very risk averse and are very much "know your station and don't think about trying to rise above it".

So I think well I'm no better or worse than anyone else so I just go for it or as they'd say chance my arm. If I hear them advising against something I tend to want to do it more. If I listened to them I wouldn't have got very far in life.

Advertisement