Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 The Year of Celebrity Death.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

lawred2 wrote:
    Especially with that celeb bar being lowered each and every passing year

People aren't really remarking at the deaths of reality stars in 2016, they are talking about the deaths of well respected actors and megastar musicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Don't worry, 2017 is nearly here and everyone will be safe again. No celebrities will die.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Another one to add to the list.(not so famous but well known)

The author of Watership Down, Richard Adams, has died aged 96, his daughter has said.

My favourite book ever! But he'd a good innings.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Don't worry, 2017 is nearly here and everyone will be safe again. No celebrities will die.
    Maybe just a few more infamous people instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ligerdub wrote: »
    People aren't really remarking at the deaths of reality stars in 2016, they are talking about the deaths of well respected actors and megastar musicians.

Err I know

That was the point.

quickbeam wrote: »
    My favourite book ever! But he'd a good innings.
    True, at his age it wasn't unexpected, unlike some of the other recent early deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I found the deaths of David Bowie, Prince and Leonard Cohen genuinely upsetting. However I have difficulty believing that anyone would care about every single famous person that has died this year. I think calling a rugby player or an ice hockey player a celebrity is pushing things a bit. If you consider anyone who has the remotest level of fame a celebrity then every year is a the year of the celebrity death.

What's the difference? ?? Celebrity is one of the most absurd monikers going these days. The only reasonable definition is "one who is respected and notorious in their respective field of talent".
    Just because Bowie was more a household name to the majority than a hockey player doesn't take away from his stature in sporting world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Patww79 wrote: »
    Are people on twitter still giving out to 2016 like it's a person?

I know its the cool thing to mock these people but I don't think they really think 2016 is a person. They might just be joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I think some of it is confirmation bias - because we have this idea that "all the celebrities are dying in 2016", we're nearly looking out for news stories to confirm the theory. Some of the names in the thread are people aren't hugely famous outside their fields and I think you could probably make an equally long lists of celebrities who died in 2015 or 2014 if you include less famous people (like sports stars from less popular sports, less well-known actors, behind-the-scenes songwriters etc). It's just that this year there have been a larger number of high profile deaths, an unfortunate coincidence that fuels the "2016 is killing celebs" stuff. People posting stuff like "2016 can **** off" as if no-one will die in 2017 annoys me though. I would also agree that our culture is just creating more and more celebrities and therefore the number of bad-news stories about famous people will also increase proportionally.

That said, I don't think it's fair to judge people for feeling sad about celebrity deaths. Singers and radio presenters, in particular, can accompany people throughout their lives and it does feel strange when that's gone. I've had some of the same voices singing or talking in my earphones for years now - I don't know them personally but they've just been there in the background for a lot of my life's milestones. I wouldn't criticise anyone for feeling a loss in that case. (Social media posturing and grief olympics, on the other hand, are usually very obviously bull**** anyway.)

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I guarantee you a lot of them are just making a hysteric deal out of the coincidence of it all. If you think so many people really think the year has mystical fatal powers, I think you are sadly mistaken.

Its social media, people want to e noticed, to be part of the gang. It is just a trend that took off but 99% of people don't really think these celebrities are dying due to the fact that its 2016.

I think the fact that people are taking the time to point out and lecture others to the fact that 2016 doesn't have any actual powers is the funny thing now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

lawred2 wrote: »
    Err I know

That was the point.

I thought your point was that the quantity count will be higher, rather than the quality count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Really cleaning the closet out this year!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Another one to add to the list.(not so famous but well known)

The author of Watership Down, Richard Adams, has died aged 96, his daughter has said.

How can the light that burned so brightly
    Suddenly burn so pale?
    Bright eyes

Spoiler - Richard wasn't sentimental about the bunnies and wouldn't let them eat his veggies on the farm.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

List of celebrity deaths so far this year..
    January 10 David Bowie, 69, Rock icon
    January 14 Alan Rickman, 69, Actor
    January 18 Glenn Frey, 67, Eagles rocker
    January 23 Jimmy Bain, 68, Rainbow rock star
    January 30 Frank Finlay, 89, Acting great
    January 31 Terry Wogan, 77, TV & radio legend
    February 3 Maurice White, 74, Earth Wind & Fire star
    February 19 Harper Lee, 89, To Kill A Mockingbird author
    February 28 Frank Kelly, 77, Father Ted star
    February 28 George Kennedy, 91, Movie great
    March 1 Tony Warren, 79, Coronation St creator
    March 8 George Martin, 90, Beatles producer
    March 11 Keith Emerson, 71, ELP rock legend
    March 15 Sylvia Anderson, 88, Lady Penelope
    March 16 Frank Sinatra Junior, 72, Sinatra’s singer son
    March 17 Paul Daniels, 77, Comedy magician
    March 29 Patty Duke, 69, Child star
    March 31 Ronnie Corbett, 85, Comedy legend
    March 31 Denise Robertson, 83, TV agony aunt
    April 6 Merle Haggard, 79, Country legend
    April 12 David Gest, 62, TV personality
    April 20 Victoria Wood, 62, Comedy genius
    April 20 Joanie “Chyna” Laurer, 46, WWE wrestling legend
    April 21 Lonnie Mack, 74, Blues guitar great
    April 21 Prince, 57, Pop icon
    April 21 Guy Hamilton, 93, Bond director
    April 24 Billy Paul, 80, Chart star
    May 17 Guy Clark, 74, Country legend
    May 19 John Berry, 52, Beastie Boys star
    May 19 Alan Young, 96, Mister Ed TV star
    May 21 Nick Menza, 51, Megadeth drummer
    May 24 Burt Kwouk, 85, Pink Panther star
    May 31 Carla Lane, 87, Liver Birds writer
    June 3 Muhammad Ali, 74, Boxing legend
    June 14 Henry McCullough, 72, Wings guitarist
    June 19 Anton Yelchin, 27, Star Trek’s Chekov
    June 24 Bernie Worrall, 72, Funkadelic star
    June 28 Scotty Moore, 84, Elvis’s guitarist
    July 2 Caroline Aherne, 52, Comedy actress
    July 16 Alan Vega, 78, Suicide punk pioneer
    August 13 Kenny Baker, 81, Star Wars’ R2-D2
    August 15 Dalian Atkinson, 48, Villa cup hero
    August 29 Gene Wilder, 83, Comic genius
    September 11 Alexis Arquette, 47, Transgender actress
    September 17 Charmian Carr, 73, Sound of Music’s Liesl
    September 25 Arnold Palmer, 87, Golfing legend
    October 14 Jean Alexander, 90, Corrie’s Hilda Ogden
    October 23 Pete Burns, 57, Dead or Alive chart star
    October 24 Bobby Vee, 73, 1960s teen idol
    November 7 Leonard Cohen, 82, Iconic singer & writer
    November 11 Robert Vaughn, 83, Veteran actor
    November 13 Leon Russell, 74, US rock legend
    November 24 Colonel Abrams, 67, 80s chart star
    November 25 Florence Henderson, 82, Brady Bunch star
    November 26 Ron Glass, 71, US TV star
    December 1 Andrew Sachs, 86, Fawlty Towers star
    December 6 Peter Vaughan, 93, Game of Thrones star
    December 7 Ian Cartwright, 52, Wolves midfielder
    December 8 John Glenn, 95, First to orbit Earth
    December 8 Greg Lake, 69, ELP legend
    December 10 AA Gill, 62, Writer & critic
    December 10 Ian McCaskill, 78, TV weatherman
    December 12 Walter Swinburn, 55, Derby winning jockey
    December 18 Zsa Zsa Gabor, 99, Actress
    December 24 Rick Parfitt, 68, Quo Rocker
    December 25 George Michael, 53, Singer
    December 26 Liz Smith, 95, Actress
    December 27 Richard Adams, 96, Author
    December 27 Carrie Fisher, 60, Actress.
    Thats a big list.. ..most over 60, but still. ..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ligerdub wrote: »
    I don't buy this idea of "more famous people now, therefore more famous people die, it'll be the same in 2017". I fully expect 2017 to be much less significant than 2016.

A good few of these guys had very secret illnesses, and died at neither young nor old ages. The spectrum of ages and causes of death mean that a hell of a lot more died compared to what one might have expected.
    Any surviving rock and roll icons of the 1950's are in their 90's now so no surprise there.

But the heyday of music was late 70's early 80's. Just look at the highest grossing tours only a handful of other artists match them. And a lot of those people abused their bodies. Sex and drugs and rock and roll. A lot of them are now old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

What's the difference? ?? Celebrity is one of the most absurd monikers going these days. The only reasonable definition is "one who is respected and notorious in their respective field of talent".
    Just because Bowie was more a household name to the majority than a hockey player doesn't take away from his stature in sporting world.

David Bowie didn't have much stature in the sporting world at all.

ha....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

A lot of icons died this year, probably more than normal. So 2016 has been a rough year for popular culture. There'll be just as many deaths next year, but I don't think those that pass will be of the same significance.

Those of you whining about people who say things like '2016' strikes again- grow up. Everyone is aware that 2016 is not sentient and is just a name assigned to a 12 month period. 2016 has been a very rough year for celebrities of certain generations.

• Advertisement

ha...............

Oh, but on the contrary..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its going to be some new years eve party in heaven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I would say the one in 2004 was way bigger. Hard to beat quarter of a million in one fell swoop. Anyway most of the artists who died were close to the end of their productive careers so it's not like we are missing on another great Prince album.

I actually don't think 2016 was that bad. The economy has turned the corner and the complete political upheaval was entertaining to watch. 2017 will be much worse because we will have to deal with hungover after Brexit and The Donald being elected.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I would say the one in 2004 was way bigger. Hard to beat quarter of a million in one fell swoop.
    Even a quick look at the history of China would show worse things.

Earthquakes in 1920, 1976
    Floods in 1931, 1938 (man made)

Spanish Flu most likely originated in China too (50 million)

Warlords, civil war, Japanese invasion , Cultural revolution.

From 1959 to 1961 there were up to 1/4 million excess deaths in China, EVERY WEEK !

Thing to remember about the 2004 tsunami was that a lot of the death toll was due to mangrove swamps being removed for prawn farming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I think the fact that people are taking the time to point out and lecture others to the fact that 2016 doesn't have any actual powers is the funny thing now!!

Agreed. The world is full of idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Anyone who says it's not possible to feel saddened by the death of someone you don't know is talking nonsense. Some of my favourite musicians died this year as well as a lot of other big names. In the case of Prince and David Bowie they died within months of each other and I can imagine them sharing a lot of the same fans. I've been a fan of Prince for about 30 years. I don't think much of his later albums but the pleasure I got from his eighties and early nineties albums is enough to make me feel sad about his death.

There's no denying there were a lot of famous deaths but some people want to make it seem even worse than it was and prattle off dozens of names of people that barely anyone has ever heard of.

If you lump every sports player, minor politician and bit part actor under the banner of celebrity then every year is a bad year for celebrity deaths. You could just pick a year at random and find some American basketball player that's about as famous as that hockey player as well as dozens of other names that are now footnotes in history. Look how many celebrities died in 2010 for instance. 1997 was almost as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

From 1959 to 1961 there were up to 1/4 million excess deaths in China, EVERY WEEK !

Thing to remember about the 2004 tsunami was that a lot of the death toll was due to mangrove swamps being removed for prawn farming.

Thank you for history lesson but I mentioned than one because it happened just before the end of the year and not because it was the biggest.

Anyway if there is a sports person who is not just like any bseball player on the list it is Howe. He might not be known in Ireland but it is one of the greats of the game dying. I'm not saying there should be huge outpouring of grief but after Ali he is probably the biggest sporting personality dying this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I think the title of this thread sums up the year very well ...

"2016 The Year of Celebrity death".

It has been the worst Celebrity death 'shocker' of a year I can remember in my lifetime!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

deco nate wrote: »
    Thats a big list.. ..most over 60, but still. ..

Still, it's 12 out of 69 under 60, which is quite a lot (17%)
    And 60 isn't even that old. I'd rather look at how many under 70 which is 24 out of 69 or 35%.
    The average age in those listed isn't too bad at 74 (average lifespan is about 78). But then for every Anton Yelchin at 27 there's a Zsa Zsa Gabor at 99 at the other end of the spectrum.

[/statistics nerd]

meeeeh wrote: »

Thank you for history lesson but I mentioned than one because it happened just before the end of the year and not because it was the biggest.

Anyway if there is a sports person who is not just like any bseball player on the list it is Howe. He might not be known in Ireland but it is one of the greats of the game dying. I'm not saying there should be huge outpouring of grief but after Ali he is probably the biggest sporting personality dying this year.

Johan Cruyff far more bigger on a global scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Only 3 days left. Come on 2016. Kanye is still walking about!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

Actually a Celebrity Purge Day would be a great idea. 1 day where they have to hide and people can kill them without repercussion.

Who would you go after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Boggy Turf wrote: »
    Actually a Celebrity Purge Day would be a great idea. 1 day where they have to hide and people can kill them without repercussion.

Who would you go after?

Anyone called Kardashian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Omackeral wrote: »
    Anyone called Kardashian.

Ah now that would exclude Scott, Kanye, Blanc, Kendall, Kylie, and Caitlin !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Ah now that would exclude Scott, Kanye, Blanc, Kendall, Kylie, and Caitlin !

Kanye isn't a kardashian. But he's number one on my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Rainman16 wrote: »
    Doesn't it seem like allot of famous people have died this year?

1. David Bowie - Musician
    2. Prince - Musician
    3. Muhammad Ali - Boxer
    4. Glen Frey - Musician
    5. Gene Wilder - Actor
    6. Lemmy Kilmister - Muscian
    7. Anthony Foley - Rugby
    8. Harper Lee - Author
    9. George Michael - Musician
    10. Florence Henderson - Actor
    11. Terry Wogan - Broadcaster
    12. Kimbo Slice - Fighter
    13. Nancy Regan - Public Figure
    14. Leonard Coen - Musician
    15. Arnold Palmer - Golfer
    16. Frank Kelly - Actor
    17. Paul Daniels - Magician
    18. Johan Cruyff - Football
    19. Gordie Howe - Ice Hockey
    20. Alan Rickman - Actor
    21. Andrew Sachs - Actor
    22. Fidel Castro - Politician
    23. Ronnie Corbett - Comedian
    24. Rick Parffit - Musician

Anton Yelchin

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

1. Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

AMKC wrote: »
      Anton Yelchin

God, his death seemed horrific, relatively speaking. Never heard of him (not a Trekkie) but I envisage he was well known to a fair few. (but if you done a poll, he wouldn't really hit the percentages of recognition compared to anyone on that list)
      Not that I am in favour of using the "celebrity" moniker but he was hardly a celebrated figure in acting field (whether by talent or notoriety)

2. Posts: 31,118 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

The curse of 2016 continues
      http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38455777
      US actress Debbie Reynolds has died, a day after the death of her daughter Carrie Fisher, according to her son.

US media said the 84-year-old had a stroke. She was taken to a Los Angeles hospital earlier in the day.

The Hollywood legend is best known for her role in the 1952 musical Singin' in the Rain, opposite Gene Kelly.
      Edit: the reports of her death appear to be premature.........(as of 02:50 29/12/16 GMT)
      2nd edit: now they say she is dead.

3. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Carrie Fishers mother has died

4. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Debbie Reynolds is dead. I wonder how many more celebs will die before New Years

5. Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

God, his death seemed horrific, relatively speaking. Never heard of him (not a Trekkie) but I envisage he was well known to a fair few. (but if you done a poll, he wouldn't really hit the percentages of recognition compared to anyone on that list)
      Not that I am in favour of using the "celebrity" moniker but he was hardly a celebrated figure in acting field (whether by talent or notoriety)

He was only 27 when he died so had so much more to give. He was very much celebrated in the indie movie world more so. He was a very talented actor, I saw him in quite a few films.

6. Advertisement
    7. Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

2016 has taken yet another hero.

Michael Delligatti, inventor of the Big Mac.

Yeah not just a feckin light bulb or an i-pad or ... something useful for a change.

Damn you 2016

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/38162497/inventor-of-the-big-mac-dies-aged-98

8. Posts: 31,118 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

Not a celebrity, but someone who has had more of an affect on our lives that all the others on this page put together.
      http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38453905
      A key architect of the euro and a former Bundesbank president, Hans Tietmeyer, has died aged 85.

He was a driving force behind creating the European Central Bank and the single currency.

Mr Tietmeyer ran Germany's central bank from 1993 until his retirement in 1999.

9. Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭paralysed

Rainman16 wrote: »
      Doesn't it seem like allot of famous people have died this year?

1. David Bowie - Musician
      2. Prince - Musician
      3. Muhammad Ali - Boxer
      4. Glen Frey - Musician
      5. Gene Wilder - Actor
      6. Lemmy Kilmister - Muscian
      7. Anthony Foley - Rugby
      8. Harper Lee - Author
      9. George Michael - Musician
      10. Florence Henderson - Actor
      11. Terry Wogan - Broadcaster
      12. Kimbo Slice - Fighter
      13. Nancy Regan - Public Figure
      14. Leonard Coen - Musician
      15. Arnold Palmer - Golfer
      16. Frank Kelly - Actor
      17. Paul Daniels - Magician
      18. Johan Cruyff - Football
      19. Gordie Howe - Ice Hockey
      20. Alan Rickman - Actor
      21. Andrew Sachs - Actor
      22. Fidel Castro - Politician
      23. Ronnie Corbett - Comedian
      24. Rick Parffit - Musician
        Leon Russel

1. Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Natonstan

Kenny Baker - R2D2?

2. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Well, maybe all this death being reported might make us realise we're not immortal and that death is a part of life which hopefully will lead us to embrace life more and those around us

3. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Meryl Haggard, Tony Warren, Jean ALexander, Liz Smith, Carla Lane...

4. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Walter Swinburn , George Kennedy , Philip Maxwell Davies,, Jimmy Perry,Frank Finlay

5. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

60's celebrities who were 25 then are between 72 and 82 years old now. Prime dying death years. Also the lifestyle of drink and drugs did not do anything for long life expectancy

6. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Ian McCaskill, George Martin, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Jimmy Young, Caroline Aherne & Victoria Wood

7. Advertisement
      8. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Only 3 days left. Come on 2016. Kanye is still walking about!
        Pure tinfoil but I reckon the Queen.

Advertisement