Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops to hide alcohol from view

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

mikeym wrote: »
    The Government dont have a clue.

Hiding the alcohol wont help anything.

Who comes up with this rubbish?

Probably the vintners. Unless of course they also plan to put the optics, taps and bottles behind screens. Yeah right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

pilly wrote: »
    You've just reminded me of the days when you got a curry in the nightclub!! I think that was a law at the time, that they had to serve food to open late? It was probably made of crap but always tasted lovely. :) That law must have been done away with.
    AFAIK they must still serve a "substantial" meal to the majority of their customers when they have a dance licence.
    Tomk1 wrote: »
    Most shops, alcohol is in a separate area. Tesco Supavalue you dont wander into the alcohol section unless you intend to buy. It has always been that way. Spar/Centra has alcohol section that can be closed off.

But Aldi/Lidl have alcohol near household products.
    I saw a kid looking at wine/spirits in Lidl prob thought it was lemonade or maybe for cooking.
    During prohibited hours Irish shops have the alcohol-area closed off. Aldi/Lidl doesn't which could be kindof infringing the law. Even though you cant purchase, the products are on display to sell. Under the law those areas should be off limit.
    Maybe clarify/enforce the current law, no need for a TDs song & dance show.

If your trying to cut down on alcohol, its easy to avoid the alcohol section in Tesco.
    Carlow Lidl and Aldi have curtains on the shelves with alcohol or cordon off one side of the aisle.
    We need to change the attitudes though. What's worrying me is the use of really strong spirits to (pre drink) before going on nights out. It just seems more extreme than when I was in my college days and we mainly drank beer, not shots of cheap spirits.

It's just looking like a certain % of the population are inevitability going to see health consequences.
    30+ years ago we used to bring half bottles of vodka to the school discos to mix with the little bottles of cola on sale inside.

Those who pre-drink don't really drink that much in the clubs and pubs because of the rip-off prices charged by the vintners. Having a maximum pricing order for publicans would cure that or just leave them alone to have a good night.

Leo Vradkar is responsibly for the majority of this nonsense because he has nothing else to offer the country except his nanny state crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

mikeym wrote: »
    The Government dont have a clue.

Hiding the alcohol wont help anything.

Who comes up with this rubbish?

Oh. it'll work alright. Drinking has been in almost constant decline for about 15 years, and will continue to decline. So, when the government introduce this, and the level of drinking lowers, they will be able to claim that the measure works. Cue more regulations.

"Lisa, I wanna buy your rock."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Drinking has been in almost constant decline for about 15 years, and will continue to decline. So, when the government introduce this, and the level of drinking lowers, they will be able to claim that the measure works. Cue more regulations.

If it doesn't work it will just be a clear sign that more regulation is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

psinno wrote: »
    If it doesn't work it will just be a clear sign that more regulation is required.

Indeed. It wouldn't even cross their minds to just leave people alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Indeed. It wouldn't even cross their minds to just leave people alone.

May not be happening at all:D. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/booze-curtain-in-doubt-after-robust-meeting-between-minister-and-independents-35224578.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You have to laugh at this and the whole no buying alcohol in off-licenses after 10. It's like one hand is slowly moving towards just banning alcohol outright... But then gets slapped by the other hand because no no, can't ban alcohol. Too much money to be made for the government.

So what is all this s*ite?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,405 ✭✭✭✭elperello

So what is all this s*ite?

It's neo-prohibitionism

https://www.alcoholproblemsandsolutions.org/Controversies/20070604112246.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Should sweets and chocolates be put behind walls too so that fat people don't see them? Or maybe we just abolish shops altogether and have everything online only.

I will respectively hope you did not just equate a problem such as alcoholism to liking sweets. Unless I'm missing something I think we all know the former has a far more destructive social effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

scopper wrote: »
    I will respectively hope you did not just equate a problem such as alcoholism to liking sweets. Unless I'm missing something I think we all know the former has a far more destructive social effect.

Sweets probably kill more people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

psinno wrote: »
    Sweets probably kill more people.

Costs more, even though all you'll hear some people droning on about is A&E has the drunk peoples omg

You don't hear much of how it takes a few nurses and a small crane to move an ever growing number of the other ones
    Treating alcohol-related injuries and diseases cost the healthcare system an estimated €1.2 billion

28 November, 2012. Findings from new safefood funded research¹ into the cost of overweight and obesity on the island of Ireland has estimated the annual cost to be €1.64 billion euros

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

The more I think about this the more it pisses me off, whatever happened to personal responsibility? The government are pushing this idea that people are idiots with no self control, that if not for the government, there would be alcohol fueled orgies on every street corner.

Its just so condescending it's ridiculous, the government aren't your parents and you're not their children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Minister expects backlash to 'booze curtains' plan - but says it 'must happen'
    Marcella Corcoran Kennedy expects a backlash to her plans on "booze curtains", including from the Independent Alliance, but is prepared to go to war on the issue.
    "You'd expect that because we're talking about alcohol. I think it's probably because we have a culturally unusual relationship with alcohol"
    Proposals have already met huge opposition from the drinks industry, shopkeepers, Fine Gael backbenchers and members of Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

VinLieger wrote: »
    The reasoning "restrict visibility so that children and young people will not be attracted to alcohol"

Shes a fvcking retard thinking a mystery curtain will remove children curiosity about alcohol

They'll need to install curtains in every house to stop children seeing the parents get trolleyed at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Strikes me as a quick fix PR solution to a complex problem and so will have little to no affect on the people who need help the most.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

It'll be all nuts soon,all well be able to eat is nuts and pulses.

Society is going nuts,there will be no more acidic foods allowed,all alkaline from here on out......

E cigarettes are the start of it,soon we'll have synthetic alcohol....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

foggy_lad wrote: »
    30+ years ago we used to bring half bottles of vodka to the school discos to mix with the little bottles of cola on sale inside.

This was written in the 1910s:
    If the priests knew all the drink that bees drunk
    at concerts in aid of Temperance Halls you wouldn't see
    a building of that kind in the country.

"Now down with me last night to the concert with
    me two lovely half-pints of malt. Well, to make a long
    story short, I finished one of them before I went in. I
    wasn't long inside, and I think it was while Harry Hoi-
    ton was singing, when who should give me a nudge only
    Hubert Manning: 'Are ye coming out, Shamesy?' says
    he. He had two bottles of stout and a naggin, and
    we had them finished before Harry Holton had done his
    first song. I was striving for to crush back into me
    place when who should I knock against only Farrell
    McGuinness? He had a lot of bottles in his pocket.
    He seemed to have about four dozen of stout on his
    person, according to the noise he made : ' For the honor
    of Jases/ says he, 'will you not spill me porter?' But
    then when he saw it was me he had in it : ' Come to hell
    oura this/ says he, 'into the night air/ I was so glad
    to see that he hadn't broken his bottles, I introduced
    th 'other half pint. Sure he nearly swallowed it, bottle
    and all. Then we fell to at the porter, and such a
    bloody piece of drinking never was seen. And it wasn't
    that we had plenty of drink of our own, but strange
    people were coming running through the wood putting
    half-pints and naggins into our mouths just as if we
    were little sucking childer. I fell a corpse under a tree
    about eleven. I don't know how long I was insensible,
    but when I came to I had a quare feeling that I was in
    Hell or some place. I wasn't able to move an inch, I
    was that stiff and sick. . . . Somewhere near me I could
    hear two whispering and hugging in the darkness.
    They were as close as ever they could be. I couldn't
    stir to get a better look for fear they'd hear me. But
    there was quare goings on I can tell you, things I
    wouldn't like to mention or describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

This is why people like trump and possibly Le Pen are elected and why we had Brexit. Leave us the funk alone to live our lives. Most people don't get an urge to buy 6 bottles of wine and a case of vodka when they nip to the shop for a packet or rolos. Nanny state nonsense!!!!!

By the same token, if you really want a drink you don't have to see the advertisements or the drink in the window.

I was going to say I don't care either way, but if pushed to have an opinion then I don't see any harm in it being banned from windows, and even go as far as putting pictures of riddled livers on the back of bottles, just like they did with cigarettes. Alcohol is addictive too, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It is amazing the things that TDs are ready to "go to war" over.

Anti-Social behaviour? No
    Violent Crime? No
    Corporate Ticket Touting? No
    Islamic Extremists? No
    Fake news? No
    Car Insurance? No
    Putting curtains around alcohol? Most definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

I'm ok with the proposals tbh. I also think that petrol stations should be banned from selling alcohol full stop. The fact they were ever allowed to was lunacy in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

CaptainR wrote: »
    The more I think about this the more it pisses me off, whatever happened to personal responsibility? The government are pushing this idea that people are idiots with no self control, that if not for the government, there would be alcohol fueled orgies on every street corner.

Its just so condescending it's ridiculous, the government aren't your parents and you're not their children.

Personal responsibility or lack there of is fine when your actions only effect yourself.

The government has a role in limiting alcohol abuse since it is society that carries much of the cost of dealing with the problem.

Hidden sections of supermarkets for the display of alcohol and tobacco products is a measure used in other countries. I can see how it could reduce impulse buying, and while wine isn't stacked high in front of the tills like sweets, alcohol is usually within line of sight of the tills.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Personal responsibility or lack there of is fine when your actions only effect yourself.

The government has a role in limiting alcohol abuse since it is society that carries much of the cost of dealing with the problem.

Hidden sections of supermarkets for the display of alcohol and tobacco products is a measure used in other countries. I can see how it could reduce impulse buying, and while wine isn't stacked high in front of the tills like sweets, alcohol is usually within line of sight of the tills.

But its not being done under the idea of reducing impulse buying, also who actually impulse buys alcohol?

The reasoning being put forward is to hide it from view of children which shows a complete lack of real understanding about how children think, hiding something from view behind a mystery curtain will discourage no children I have ever met it will simply make it more mysterious and add to the mystique and specialty of alcohol which we already have to deal with when people turn 18 and binge on the magical thing they've been told is sooooooo amazing their entire lives but they arbitrarily cant touch or view till they are 18

• Registered Users Posts: 14,405 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Estrellita wrote: »
    By the same token, if you really want a drink you don't have to see the advertisements or the drink in the window.

I was going to say I don't care either way, but if pushed to have an opinion then I don't see any harm in it being banned from windows, and even go as far as putting pictures of riddled livers on the back of bottles, just like they did with cigarettes. Alcohol is addictive too, why not?

Why not?

Because having a glass or two of wine with your dinner or a bottle of cold beer on a Summers day or a hot toddy by the fire in Winter are normal harmless activities.

Absolutely no need to inflict "pictures of riddled livers" on people who drink moderately just because some others can't.

I'm ok with the proposals tbh. I also think that petrol stations should be banned from selling alcohol full stop. The fact they were ever allowed to was lunacy in my view.

Shops selling booze should be off licence only, like in Australia and Canada
    Supermarkets should have a separate section for alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

This.

While I'm no fan of moves towards a nanny state, there is no doubt the government should be making decisions for the greater good. If society benefits as a whole from a step back from the rather unhealthy relationship it currently has with alcohol then a few people being miffed is a fair price to pay. Whether this particular proposal does actually achieve anything other than a "won't someone think of the children" PR stunt wrapped in a misguided illusion of societal benefit is a fair question tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

elperello wrote: »
    Why not?

Because having a glass or two of wine with your dinner or a bottle of cold beer on a Summers day or a hot toddy by the fire in Winter are normal harmless activities.

Absolutely no need to inflict "pictures of riddled livers" on people who drink moderately just because some others can't.

"Inflict" my hole. I enjoy a glass of wine like the next person, am I going to be offended by it? No. But not everyone drinks at a moderate rate, you are being deliberately obtuse.

The drama round here is fcuking tiresome at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Silly idea, people who want to drink are gonna drink. Hardly a deterrant now is it?.

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The country promotes The Irish Pub for Tourism but are still trying to brainwash people into think we have a bad relationship with alcohol.

Our relationship with alcohol is perfectly fine. A bunch of health Nazi's in the 90s looking for TV air-time started rambling on about this so called "Bad relationship" and it caught wind with the nanny staters. It is incredibly sad to see people actually believing this nonsense and going with it.

Drinking is part of our culture. If some people had their way, Irish culture would be completely eradicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Sick to the hind teeth of this crap. God help the next Fine Gaeler who knocks on my door looking for a vote.

• Advertisement

The country promotes The Irish Pub for Tourism but are still trying to brainwash people into think we have a bad relationship with alcohol.

Our relationship with alcohol is perfectly fine. A bunch of health Nazi's in the 90s looking for TV air-time started rambling on about this so called "Bad relationship" and it caught wind with the nanny staters. It is incredibly sad to see people actually believing this nonsense and going with it.

Drinking is part of our culture. If some people had their way, Irish culture would be completely eradicated.

your relationship with alcohol might be fine

but the evidence points to large scale abuse of alcohol by a large number of people across the country

and I like to have a drink myself.
    I've seen the damage it does to addicted friends and family members

Advertisement