Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops to hide alcohol from view

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,666 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It's just looking like a certain % of the population are inevitability going to see health consequences.

Why should those of us who drink responsibly be punished for others inability to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

tonygun wrote: »
    They can bring all the idiotic measures they want to try and help their friends in the Vinters association, it doesn't matter. Irelands drinking culture has changed. Young people have no desire to drink in outdated pubs, they want to drink at home where they can control the music and have a few without spending half a weeks wages..
    I've been around the country a bit lately and it's pretty surprising how different the weekends look in small towns. Towns that would have been hoping on a friday night are a ghost town with only the local chipper having a crowd in it.

I don't know if it's a particularly good thing, staying at home and replacing the social activity of a pub with facebook isn't exactly an improvement. I know weekends in Ireland during the boom was sometimes like a visual representation of the end of days described in the bible but if you lived in a small town everyone went out, everyone drank with everyone else, old, young, rich, poor, all came together to get hammered. There was something beautiful about that. Now everyone is paranoid of everyone else and completely intolerant of different points of view.

We need a replacement for the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've been around the country a bit lately and it's pretty surprising how different the weekends look in small towns. Towns that would have been hoping on a friday night are a ghost town with only the local chipper having a crowd in it.

I don't know if it's a particularly good thing, staying at home and replacing the social activity of a pub with facebook isn't exactly an improvement. I know weekends in Ireland during the boom was sometimes like a visual representation of the end of days described in the bible but if you lived in a small town everyone went out, everyone drank with everyone else, old, young, rich, poor, all came together to get hammered. There was something beautiful about that. Now everyone is paranoid of everyone else and completely intolerant of different points of view.

We need a replacement for the pub.

Small towns and rural Ireland are dying on a larger scale than just quiet pubs, as most young people today leave small towns for Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway to go college, and are likely to work in the cities and larger towns after graduating. That's what your seeing there.

Sitting at home alone on facebook drinking all night is not what young people have replaced pubs with. They've replaced it with house parties, and drinking together in houses in smaller groups, coupled with nightclubs. These are cheaper, more convenient and appeal to young people more than standing in Paddy O'Reilly's on a Friday night, choosing between Heineken, Guinness and a bag of Tayto

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Cienciano wrote: »
    It's 12:30pm on a sunday. So if you're buying the paper in the morning and want a bottle of wine for dinner? No, sorry, you must be some sort of alco to be trying to buy wine so early. Crazy.
    Same with closing times. It's 10pm and you decide to buy a drink to have at home. Sorry, you have to go out to the pub.

I was at Sea Sessions in Bundoran last year and went to buy a bottle of vodka in lidl for that night as well as food, man scans it all and takes the bottle behind the counter

"Sorry can't sell that now"

"Eh what?!"

"Its not half 12 yet sorry"

It was 12:15 on a sunday, I had to que up again in 15 minutes because yanno its the lords day. What a load of outdated sh!t. Secular country my b*llocks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We need to change the attitudes though. What's worrying me is the use of really strong spirits to (pre drink) before going on nights out. It just seems more extreme than when I was in my college days and we mainly drank beer, not shots of cheap spirits.

It's just looking like a certain % of the population are inevitability going to see health consequences.

It's an age old argument between brewers and distillers, looking to point the finger at spirits while any issue would be the alcohol regardless of the type of drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

VinLieger wrote: »
    Why do we need to have done something different to acknowledge that alcohol consumption is down across the board? You similarly can't rule out its not due to changing attitudes to alcohol naturally happening over time.

Comparing the construction sector and C02 drop to alcohol consumption dropping is a poor analogy, you have no evidence that there is any similarities between the two other than wild unfounded speculation.

There's plenty of evidence to show a massive drop in consumer demand across the board in Ireland over that period. Everything sank.
    Alcohol for most is discretionary spending, so obviously it sank with it and the demographics changed quite dramatically too as many of the people who would typically be associated with high alcohol spend i.e. early 20s types on good incomes (often construction industry associated) emigrated.

The pub sector also took a nose dive and is only recently recovering (and only in the large urban areas).

This is After Hours and I'm not writing a thesis or publishing some kind of academic paper on the topic. I am perfectly entitled to speculate!
    So, no, I won't provide evidence. Use Google!

Small towns and rural Ireland are dying on a larger scale than just quiet pubs, as most young people today leave small towns for Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway to go college, and are likely to work in the cities and larger towns after graduating. That's what your seeing there.
    Young people leave to go to college, or work. But I've been finding once they get to the stage of wanting kids they end up back in the small town. So small towns are ending up with a population that has a gap of 20 somethings, but while some towns are getting smaller others are growing or at the very least maintaining the population. The people are there, they just don't have the same social outlets.
    Sitting at home alone on facebook drinking all night is not what young people have replaced pubs with. They've replaced it with house parties, and drinking together in houses in smaller groups, coupled with nightclubs.
    Probably replaced alcohol with other drugs too. A pill is a much more economical way of getting intoxicated.

Young people leave to go to college, or work. But I've been finding once they get to the stage of wanting kids they end up back in the small town. So small towns are ending up with a population that has a gap of 20 somethings, but while some towns are getting smaller others are growing or at the very least maintaining the population. The people are there, they just don't have the same social outlets.

Probably replaced alcohol with other drugs too. A pill is a much more economical way of getting intoxicated.

Not in my experience, or the experience of people I know, they haven't. What are are you basing that on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,666 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

There's plenty of evidence to show a massive drop in consumer demand across the board in Ireland over that period. Everything sank.

Not arguing that but its actually been dropping since 2002, so 6 years before the recession hit it was already dropping.
    Alcohol for most is discretionary spending, so obviously it sank with it and the demographics changed quite dramatically too as many of the people who would typically be associated with high alcohol spend i.e. early 20s types on good incomes (often construction industry associated) emigrated.

And yet prices sank too according to the proponents for these measures so affordability of discretionary spending remained at similar levels through out the recession.
    The pub sector also took a nose dive and is only recently recovering (and only in the large urban areas).

Could that be cus they didnt drop their prices by one cent and have in the last few years been slowly raising them again?
    This is After Hours and I'm not writing a thesis or publishing some kind of academic paper on the topic. So, no, I won't provide evidence. Use Google!

Yeah that's not how a discussion works in after hours or anywhere else, you make a claim you then back it up with evidence, asking others to find it for you means you lost the argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

It's called not having the time to go off hunting for stats to cite on what is a light-hearted internet forum due to actually having a life!

Sorry I bothered posting now. I remember now why I gave up on this site years ago.

• Advertisement

Not in my experience, or the experience of people I know, they haven't. What are are you basing that on?
    A pill costs at most a tenner and lasts for hours. You have to drink 3 pints to even start to feel an effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Huge increase in the abuse of prescription tablets over the last 3 years and a lot of it by young people. Scary thought really.

A pill costs at most a tenner and lasts for hours. You have to drink 3 pints to even start to feel an effect.
    And a naggin of vodka costs 7.50, you can get 8 cans for a tenner.

Pills are a very niche product. Research shows the current 18-25 generation are less likely to have used pills ansd the like than previous generations. Their price and availability have nothing to with young people rejecting outdated, overpriced pubs in their droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Make everyday Good Friday !!

Mission accomplished!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Your drunkometer must be broken. I can fell the effect of alcohol long before 3 pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Shoplifting will skyrocket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

As a proper AA ex-drinker I can see the logic...if you were all like me.

From my perspective seeing booze everywhere is an issue and a personal battle. It'd be awesome if it was hidden. Ditto for 10pm closing time. Everyday that 10pm passes is freedom for me.

But I have no idea why the majority of my friends who would just like to be buy wine at 10.05pm or can see booze and move on should require such extreme laws. This is legislating toward the "worst" (not people, conditions, etc.)

I think it's another example of the government simply passing the can and avoiding any responsibility. They seem to like doing as little as possible, like with cars speeding, their solution? Put up signs to tell them to slow down.

Boozing seems to be something they can attack now under the assumption that no one will complain in case they get accused of promoting or being all for binge drinking. But I think Ireland has taken control of that aspect of our culture and it's just nowhere near as bad as it used to be. I don't think relaxing the laws is going to encourage people to go back to binge drinking either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Really ? Sure next they be covering in pubs . If there really concerned about alcoholic abuse in this country they will start with it in the schools at a young age in trying n show the harm it can do if abused, and take some of the glamour away from it.

We were routinely subjected to alcoholic guest speakers warning us of the dangers of alcohol in sec school. The Principal would invite them in to speak to the different years.

Tbh their stories made me want to experiment with alcohol more. I wanted to know what it felt like to get loaded and do wild sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,338 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

scopper wrote: »
    As a proper AA ex-drinker I can see the logic...if you were all like me.

From my perspective seeing booze everywhere is an issue and a personal battle. It'd be awesome if it was hidden. Ditto for 10pm closing time. Everyday that 10pm passes is freedom for me.

But I have no idea why the majority of my friends who would just like to be buy wine at 10.05pm or can see booze and move on should require such extreme laws. This is legislating toward the "worst" (not people, conditions, etc.)

Should sweets and chocolates be put behind walls too so that fat people don't see them? Or maybe we just abolish shops altogether and have everything online only.

• Advertisement

We were routinely subjected to alcoholic guest speakers warning us of the dangers of alcohol in sec school. The Principal would invite them in to speak to the different years.

Tbh their stories made me want to experiment with alcohol more. I wanted to know what it felt like to get loaded and do wild sh1t.
    I always loved the idea of waking up on a ferry to Scotland with no idea how I got there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

More bollocks.
    We can advertise it outside of pubs just fine though

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

BAN EVERYTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

BAN EVERYTHING.

I say ban bans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Ms Corcoran Kennedy said shops would only have to “restrict visibility so that children and young people will not be attracted to alcohol”.
    Well, a good place to start would be to stop the photo ops with every visiting dignitary slugging a pint of the black stuff. Also, tougher laws on alcohol advertising in sports would most likely do a hell of a lot more to combat the issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I say ban bans.

No, we need to ban the ban bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

mzungu wrote: »
    Well, a good place to start would be to stop the photo ops with every visiting dignitary slugging a pint of the black stuff. Also, tougher laws on alcohol advertising in sports would most likely do a hell of a lot more to combat the issue.

Well Trumps a teetotaller so there'll be none of that for the next 4 years anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

A trip to the off licence will be great fun - we'll have to go in wearing blinkers and under cover of darkness. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

An absolutely retarded idea but I would like to browse about the beer cave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Government dont have a clue.

Hiding the alcohol wont help anything.

Who comes up with this rubbish?

Advertisement