Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price of divining/dowsing rods job

Options
  • 04-02-2015 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

Had this in another thread too but maybe some of you can help!

More than likely not the right forum, but howsever!

(Main question before reading the rest is, does anyone know how much a person who is qualified in this practice costs?)

My mam was chatting to a man she knows who has recently gotten into using those divining/dowsing rods. She had seen some sort of programme (long story short) whereby a person in a house was very ill and someone used those rods around the house..turns out there were bad lines or water line directly under the floor where the woman slept, and therefore when she moved rooms, she got better. She told the man this.

So my mam has had bad health lately, and my father isn't far behind her. The man she knows (not friends, more acquaintances) offered to use his rods on our house.
    She asked him how much, he said "whatever you think."

She persisted/insisted/was adamant he give her a price but he wouldn't, nor would he say how much he has asked for for other jobs. He just kept saying, whatever you think its worth.

So basically, my question is,
    does anyone have an idea how much one of these people cost?? Is it per hour or like what the man said, 'whatever you feel like'?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Take fifty euro, fold it in two, make sure there are no creases in it, and wipe your arse with it.

That's ten times more useful than giving it to a diviner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Pay with magic beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'll tell your fortune for free.

It's not going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Bout tree fiddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Dowsing/divining is complete nonsense peddler by the delusional & swindlers. The reason why it sometimes appears to work is due to the "ideomotor effect" which causes a person's thoughts to affect their movements without them being aware of the thought - action connection, thus causing rods to move or ouija boards to "write". You'd think that such balderdash would have died out in the 21st century but sadly not. This can at best lead to people paying money for nothing as you seem to be prepared to do & at worst lead to people being killed as in the case of James McCormick, who claimed to have harnessed similar "technology" to detect bombs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Just burnt the money because anyone stupid enough to believe this ****e deserves to be broke

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just burnt the money because anyone stupid enough to believe this ****e deserves to be broke

Do this. About E200 should to the trick and teach you not to waste your money on nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

****e, didn't realise there was such opposition to it!!

thanks for the comments, much appreciated!
    i'll make sure she keeps her money for a holiday instead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Make a pair of divining rods or buy some on Ebay and try them out for yourself. Hold them out straight in front of you and walk a few steps. The rods will cross or separate. Ask any other person to do the same and you will see that they too can obtain an effect. It's jiggery pokery and that is why you are told to give what you want. I've got a box full of them given by a friend who sells them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I can do that from here. I'll pm my PayPal details. 50 quid ok? What do you want to hear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If your mum has lived in the same house for a considerable time then why do you assume it's sonething to do with ley lines or underground water channels and that's its not simply old age/poor diet, lack of exercise etc etc that are to blame?

Tell your mum to save her money and if she's not feeling well go to a doctor who will tell her what's wrong with her rather than pay some con man to tell you that all of a sudden for no explicable reason there are invisible energy lines causing her health problems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Offer the diviner some of your homeopathy services in trade.

If your mum has lived in the same house for a considerable time then why do you assume it's sonething to do with ley lines or underground water channels and that's its not simply old age/poor diet, lack of exercise etc etc that are to blame?

Tell your mum to save her money and if she's not feeling well go to a doctor who will tell her what's wrong with her rather than pay some con man to tell you that all of a sudden for no explicable reason there are invisible energy lines causing her health problems!

The room she is in now used to be my brothers room. That brother tried to commit suicide (in that room), another brother (who stayed in that room) suffers from hay fever and also has epilepsy (even though he was born with it..but still!).
    Since my parents moved into that room, my mother was recently admitted to hospital with pneumonia (though she has never been sick a day in her life), my father is constantly getting colds and flus (again, very rarely been sick).

But look, you know yourself..once you see/hear something that might ring a bell just even 1%, you tend to just believe it 100%.
    I will encourage her not to go for it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Buzz Meeks

To answer this question I have consulted the Tarot.
    The Cards tell me that the Rods are nonsense.
    Nonsense (the cards never lie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

berger89 wrote: »
    ****e, didn't realise there was such opposition to it!!

thanks for the comments, much appreciated!
    i'll make sure she keeps her money for a holiday instead ;)

You were serious?? :confused:

Christ. Diving is almost as stupid as the belief that the 7th son of a 7th son has "the cure". Stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

My mam was chatting to a man she knows who has recently gotten into using those divining/dowsing rods. She had seen some sort of programme (long story short) whereby a person in a house was very ill and someone used those rods around the house..turns out there were bad lines or water line directly under the floor where the woman slept, and therefore when she moved rooms, she got better. She told the man this.

It's easier for some to believe that there's a mystical explanation for something rather than a scientific one...or that sometimes things are just coincidences or bad luck. Dowsers, like tarot readers, faith healers and myriad other forms of scammers use the power of suggestion on vulnerable people.

I'm not going to criticise your mother for falling for it when she's feeling down but as other posters have said there's concrete things she can do to look at her own lifestyle and see if there are areas there that she can use to improve her health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

E80. Of course it's a crock of sh1t but the well digger told me that if he didn't hit good water on the diviners spot he would drill elsewhere for free. If I had no diviner I was paying for the second hole. Cheap magic insurance. The water was indeed splendid.

Needlessly say Op, don't give this dude a red cent. Tell your mother see a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Change rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

OP, you need to watch this video. Divining or dowsing is nonsense, and their results are no better than chance. As for the television program, look up placebos. That might provide an explanation as to why the woman got better. If your mother is ill tell her to put her faith in the medical profession and not these absolute chancers. Do not give money to this person. Don't encourage them.

Mods you can close this thread if you like.

Thanks for the comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The room she is in now used to be my brothers room. That brother tried to commit suicide (in that room), another brother (who stayed in that room) suffers from hay fever and also has epilepsy (even though he was born with it..but still!).
    Since my parents moved into that room, my mother was recently admitted to hospital with pneumonia (though she has never been sick a day in her life), my father is constantly getting colds and flus (again, very rarely been sick).

But look, you know yourself..once you see/hear something that might ring a bell just even 1%, you tend to just believe it 100%.
    I will encourage her not to go for it :)
    Sounds more like damp or drafts than mystical hocus pocus.

That'll be E50 please.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Make a pair of divining rods or buy some on Ebay
    buy on ebay ???

use a old biro as a holder for about a foot of coat hanger wire bent into an L shape. hold one in each hand so the wire can move freely.

work just as well as anything you buy on ebay and unlike sticks they will actually detect the presence of magnets

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

work just as well as anything you buy on ebay and unlike sticks they will actually detect the presence of magnets

But like sticks, if used correctly, will detect the presence of the gullible and the chancer.

I can't believe people are so nonchalant about the dangers of geopathic stress lines and the serious, if not fatal, effects it has on your bioelectric systems! Only a very talented dowser can save you OP, pay whatever it takes. This sh!t is ser-i-ous! You need a geopathic harmoniser. Stat.

I know someone who made a living by terrifying people with this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

PT Barnum's maxim, truer now than ever.

Let people believe what they want. Not saying I do or my mother does.

But generally speaking. Some people may/may not find solace in this kind of practice. It's like angel cards, its like holistic therapies; hell it's like church.

If people believe it helps them or may help, then so be it. It's no more or no less ridiculous than the aforementioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Let people believe what they want. Not saying I do or my mother does.

But generally speaking. Some people may/may not find solace in this kind of practice. It's like angel cards, its like holistic therapies; hell it's like church.

If people believe it helps them or may help, then so be it. It's no more or no less ridiculous than the aforementioned.

Absolutely. But where it does become dangerous is when people try to substitute medicine for any of that stuff. So just be wary of that. Otherwise, fire ahead!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In answer to your original question, ask the guy if he will do the job for free. Seriously. He will name his price.

Advertisement