Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History jobs ?

Options
  • 10-09-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

So I'm in my last year of my degree, history and linguistics in UCD.

I was leaning towards a post grad involving linguistics, but I've come to realise that I would love a job involving history.

My question is, what jobs are available to someone with a history degree? Every time I mention wanting to do someting with history, all anyone says is to teach it in secondary school, which I don't want to do.

There must be other careers available to me??

Any help would be greatly appriciated! :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I did history in TCD and believe me, getting any job, regardless of your degree is incredibly tough at the moment. Traditionally humanities graduates with degree's like history tend to end up as teachers or in public administration (This is screwed due to the moratorium). Other popular career paths are working in libraries, archives, heritage centers, the publishing industry (INSANELY competitive. I sent a CV to every company in Ireland and got 4 replies back, one offering me an unpaid internship in Meath. Who the hell can afford to do that for a career that is badly paid to begin with?) etc. etc.

Having a BA, any BA will be the basic standard for jobs in insurance, financial services and most clerical posts, so that is at least a start.

In my case I can put my hand on my heart and say that I didn't do history in order to make money. If I wanted to make money I would have done an economics/business degree and got into financial services. All I want is an ordinary decent living...

I'm afraid you may be forced to live with the consequences of your degree choices ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Denerick wrote: »
    I did history in TCD

Aha! I should have known!

I was actually going to do that too, however I asked around and as you said, jobs are few and far between. And I would loath to teach.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Aha! I should have known!

Its the West Brit thing, isn't it? That comes with the territory. For graduation I have to kiss a statue of King George III and swear an oath to protect and defend the British commonwealth against papists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Denerick wrote: »
    Its the West Brit thing, isn't it? That comes with the territory. For graduation I have to kiss a statue of King George III and swear an oath to protect and defend the British commonwealth against papists.

What? Not at all. As I said I was thinking of doing history there, with archeology.

Sure Wolfe Tone studied law there ;)

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    What? Not at all. As I said I was thinking of doing history there, with archeology.

Sure Wolfe Tone studied law there ;)

Don't worry, it was a hazy attempt at humour. Wolfe Tone did indeed study in Trinity, as did Robert Emmet, Arthur O'Connor, Thomas Emmet, Henry Grattan, Edmund Burke... And so on ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Hey thanks for the replies!

I'm not thinking of going straight into work just yet, know I have no chance of getting a job, so was thinking of persuing some sort of post grad that's history based.

As you can see I havn't researched it that much yet, have only really decided to switch from my speech therapy idea!

I wouldn't mind something in archives, I remember doing work experience in the Natural history museum, and it was quite interesting. :)

Think I'll have a chat with my lecturers and see what they think.

I should mention that if you are serious about becoming either an archivist or Librarian, you will eventually have to do a postgrad in either area. Your best bet is to try and get a studentship for one year somewhere (One years experience in an archive or library for 20k per annum) that is a prequisite for most courses. I went for an interview in the Royal Irish Society earlier in the summer (I didn't get in, unfortunately :o)

Keep your eyes and ears open but opportunities are scarce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 MuseumEducation

There are lots of jobs in the Museum world to consider - including tour guide, administration, education and curatorial roles! Working in a Museum is a great way to combine a love of history with a real life job as it were!! That said those positions are few and far between also but worth getting into.

Best of luck with whatever career path you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

You should keep an eye on this site for inspiration

http://http://www.irishmuseums.org/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Might I suggest an IT career in technical writing. There market for these jobs seem healthy, though you might need to a 1yr diploma computer conversion course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement