Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to bring back hanging?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

100%, way to much scum roaming the streets these days. Not enough prison spaces, and it would be very cost effective. Society has become way too soft. There is a midpoint between killing someone who has wronged you and the namby pamby "hooman rights" nonsense we have now, and punishing someone with death for a heinous crime should be that midpoint.

Any evidence to suggest its cost-effective? how could death be a mid point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Any evidence to suggest its cost-effective? how could death be a mid point?

Length of rope: €10
    Year of imprisonment: €45,000

I’ll let you work out the maths.

Well if lynching someone accused of a crime is point 1 and crying about some scumbags human rights is 10. Then hanging after a fair trial is about a 5 on that scale in my eyes. So the midpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

I don’t understand the argument that the death penalty is wrong as it violates the human rights of citizens.

The concept has existed in western legal theory for centuries that govt may deny certain rights to those who violate the rights of others.

When the government puts you in prison, they’re denying your rights.

If the govt can take away the right to liberty and property of criminals, why can’t it take the right to life when the crime reaches a certain magnitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'd be of the view of being only being used in the most serious of crimes with irrefutable proof and on repeat offenders, it's not something that should be used unless theres is absolutely no doubt whatsowever in the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I’m in the belief that an offshore island as a prison with no guards and no way off. Just enough provisions for half the prisoners. That should be a good deterrent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

mad muffin wrote: »
    I’m in the belief that an offshore island as a prison with no guards and no way off. Just enough provisions for half the prisoners. That should be a good deterrent.

And absolutely no grey tracksuit bottoms,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

In terms of hanging yea bring it back who would shed a tear for Larry Murphy, Sean is Fitzpatrick ........ and any number of the feral runts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Only if trolls and re-regs count !

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Only if trolls and re-regs count !

That's you swinging from the rafters so lol

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Length of rope: €10
    Year of imprisonment: €45,000

I’ll let you work out the maths.

Well if lynching someone accused of a crime is point 1 and crying about some scumbags human rights is 10. Then hanging after a fair trial is about a 5 on that scale in my eyes. So the midpoint.

That's one of the most factual responses I have ever read.

Ten out of 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

And absolutely no grey tracksuit bottoms,

Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Infini wrote: »
    I'd be of the view of being only being used in the most serious of crimes with irrefutable proof and on repeat offenders, it's not something that should be used unless theres is absolutely no doubt whatsowever in the case.

This is the legal standard for being guilty of every crime. “Proof beyond all reasonable doubt”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Yes for very serious crimes and for not indicating appropriately on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If it does get brought back they need to have a large viewing gallery for the execution so all the people with revenge fantasies about what they would do to X and Y can tug themselves dry.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Infini wrote: »

Presumably there was absolutely no doubt whatsoever in the 160+ cases of people who have been freed from death row in the States since 1973 either?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John2136

Hi there

Would you support bringing back hanging?

It's a shame the ones who need hanging are the ones who would be in charge of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Is this about Hanging with Hector?

Yeah, alright.

Advertisement