Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live and work in Dubai opportunity

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Look forward to the day the desert reclaims that abomination of a city

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

once you go to such a place voluntarily I think you lose the moral authority to condemn any injustices by others

I doubt he is planning to do much of that anyway.

If you have no big ties here OP, you should go. If you don't like it, just come home again. If you work in IT and are in demand enough that you would be sent to Dubai, then you will have no problem getting another job when you come back.
    If you do like it a few years working there could make a big difference to your savings as well as experiencing a different culture, travel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Break the move down into smaller practical steps, ie what exact things would you need to do to wrap up here, make the move and get yourself initially set up over there. I'm talking practical like handing in job notice, notice to landlord, packing, apartment hunting over there, flights, work arrangements over there etc etc etc. Try talk to people who have made the move and ask about the prsctical realities of the move and potential pitfalls. This will help you get a better idea of the task and if you're up to it or not.

There are the cultural factors to consider then of course, but this is a good starting point to gauge your appetite for the move

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ex pats living there will be your best contacts, rather than theories here. Maybe some here on boards?

Working there does not mean any commitment to ideas, ideals, way of life. But yes a greater insight,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Take their money OP. As much as you can.

Otherwise they'll just spend it on Supercars, Football teams and God knows what else.

Not on helping humanity though....perish the thought.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Do it, for a while, at least! My sister worked there for 5 years as a nurse and loved it, although there were negative sides to it. It's definitely better if you're male (obviously). I visited for about 2 weeks 20 years ago, and it was fine. Definitely too hot for me (I went in early April) and that isn't close to being the hottest time of the year there.

I went with my other sister, who didn't feel comfortable there out in public. Too many creepy looks, I think. Nothing physical, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I have been to Dubai on holiday with family and it is a crime free paradise. DO IT or you WILL regret it. It has everything and is like a the most advanced western city in some respects and has the Arabic culture in the old part of the city. Unless you are a raving alcoholic and a criminal you will have no problems there. It is a city of ex pats all who are trying to better their lives. I loved the place and would deffo recommend it. It’s a five star city I guarantee you will love. Best of luck

This post has been brought to you by the Dubai Tourist Authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

I'm in a similar situation but my job offer is in Thailand.
    I don't have any kids but have close family and friends here.
    The money is less than what I would be earning in Ireland but could have a really comfortable life as it's much cheaper over there and I've worked everything out and it's probably the same as earning 5k a month in Ireland.

It's a really tough call to make.

How much are they offering as a matter of interest? I'd be mildly careful when calculating as there is a bit of a foreigner fee in a lot of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

How much are they offering as a matter of interest? I'd be mildly careful when calculating as there is a bit of a foreigner fee in a lot of places.

1800 euro a month and visa paid for and health insurance too.
    You can eat for 200 baht a day easily and rent is about €400 a month for a nice apartment.

Having been many times I know how everything works there.

My ex was Thai and I have just finished with her so I don't think I'll take the offer as I have just met someone else here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    1800 euro a month and visa paid for and health insurance too.
    You can eat for 200 baht a day easily and rent is about €400 a month for a nice apartment.

Having been many times I know how everything works there.

My ex was Thai and I have just finished with her so I don't think I'll take the offer as I have just met someone else here.

Two accounts?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Two accounts?

At the time I based the wage on me sending money back home to help my mother then also her family because she can work in restaurant or hotel but for low money.
    It worked out that I could save about 700-800 a month after taking care of everything.

Probably would have been 400 baht a day for food with her but she would also have had some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

Been to Dubai before.Its a beautiful luxurious place and id have no hesitation moving there.Yes,the heat can be unbearable but everything is based indoors and there is air conditioning.What are the holiday like?A friend of mine have 1 Month holidays a year and uses it to head home in August when things get too hot.

Not sure what he does for holidays the rest of the year but he loves it there.Has plenty of ex-pat friends and has a great lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I know a few people who have done it, various types of engineers. All were offered six figure salaries and decided to do it for a few years so they could save up to buy a house in Ireland. I might do it in a few years. It’s not a place I would want to live permanently or raise children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

You might not get back to buy that house in Ireland if they decide to charge you with spying and jail you for life...

What would be the average age of Irish people moving to work in the UAE? I've been told it's very often couples of "house buying age" who go over to save, so would imagine early thirties a lot of them would be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Nomis21 wrote: »
    You might not get back to buy that house in Ireland if they decide to charge you with spying and jail you for life...

Dont spy. Chances are he was, so deserves everything he gets.

I can't see how you come to that conclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

I am currently living in the UAE.

Obviously there are pros and cons to every move/country however as a female I’ve never felt unsafe here, never felt like a second class citizen and I work with a lot of Emirati’s. That said a class system very much exists here and Westerners would be nearer to the top.

As for the heat, end of Sept to May is gorgeous. June/Sept is very hot and July/August is brutal especially with the humidity however everywhere here is aircon so whilst it’s horrible it passes like everything else.

Whilst I wouldn’t be one for being a messy drunk anyway, I don’t feel like my behaviour differs to that at home. As a previous poster said if you aren’t doing anything criminal or aggressive drunk etc you’ll be just fine!

Feel free to pm if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Spleerbun wrote: »
    What would be the average age of Irish people moving to work in the UAE? I've been told it's very often couples of "house buying age" who go over to save, so would imagine early thirties a lot of them would be?

I know 2 guys who've done it that would fit that category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I would have thought an Arabic speaking spy would have been more useful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

He clearly wasn’t.

Advertisement