Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Misogyny in the Seanad

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Typical SF shit-stirring. Wouldn't surprise me if the illiterate braying ass (Devine, the instigator-in-chief as far as I can make out) doesn't know what "misogyny" means. Jerry Buttimer is about as harmless as a politician gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Suckler wrote: »
    Would he have accused a man who he felt wasn't listening of "trying to assert himself"? I don't doubt it. So yeah, his language wasn't gendered.

I'm afraid I think you're wrong that he would have used the same language towards a man, so it looks like we've reached a terrible impasse, from which we'll never recover. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Mrsmum wrote: »
    it comes across imo as passive aggressive because you can almost hear the unspoken "dear/petal" at the end of said statement......

Ah here....
    Now you be held accountable for what you didn't say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Ah here....
    Now you be held accountable for what you didn't say?

Of course, Thoughtcrime is worse than murder amongst these types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭Suckler

......so it looks like we've reached a terrible impasse, from which we'll never recover. :(

We've had a good run, I'll let you choose the music to play us out. If the last to leave could turn of the lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I don't see how it was condescending - unless it was intended to be so, of which there is no evidence.

There is also no evidence that Jerry Buttimer would not say it to a man.

Having had personal dealings with him, he is a perfectly lovely respectful person. I can understand his upset. Awful thing to be accused of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Safe spaces now for our Senators folks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

I don't see how it was condescending - unless it was intended to be so, of which there is no evidence.

There is also no evidence that Jerry Buttimer would not say it to a man.

Having had personal dealings with him, he is a perfectly lovely respectful person. I can understand his upset. Awful thing to be accused of.

He should have just told her to shut the F up, 'pull on her big boy panties' and debate.
    The ladies of the Dail and Seanad chambers have been quick to import the values of American intersectional identity politics into the country because it allows them to use weaponized gender politics to silence criticism.

We saw the same with Mary Mitchell O'Connor when they gave her the heave ho from the cabinet table for gross incompetence. Out came the 'sexism' card to neuter any criticism of her performance and ensure she kept a seat at the top table, despite being clearly incapable of doing the job.
    That's why guff like this should absolutely called out instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

The art of being assertive has very definite connotations with women, Go to any assertive classes or talks about assertiveness and you won't see a man there. And I really don't think men accuse each other of trying to be assertive. So it is imo quite gendered language but do I think it is a hanging offence or anything near? No.

Men would be too embarrassed to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

466635.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The art of being assertive has very definite connotations with women, Go to any assertive classes or talks about assertiveness and you won't see a man there. And I really don't think men accuse each other of trying to be assertive. So it is imo quite gendered language but do I think it is a hanging offence or anything near? No.

I wouldn't mind going on an assertive course, but I don't like to ask..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The audio was just played on Today FM.

Its even worse. Absolute shambles
    Jerry should have told her fcuk off.

Norris giving it socks.
    Nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

The audio was just played on Today FM.

Its even worse. Absolute shambles
    Jerry should have told her fcuk off.

Norris giving it socks.
    Nonsense

He should have told her to run off and make a few sandwiches while the men are talking. Give her something to really get worked up about.

Advertisement