Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your problem with spiders?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Can i use google to become educated like you.

It could only be an improvement over the effort you're displaying here (where you seem to be claiming that a creature that thrives in a specific environment will be just fine when moved to a completely different environment).
    IF you have issue with my lack of "scientific terms", do feel free to post a few links (to articles by people who know more than both of us on the subject), that refute what I said (y'know, once you work out how to use Google).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

Plopsu wrote: »
    It could only be an improvement over the effort you're displaying here (where you seem to be claiming that a creature that thrives in a specific environment will be just fine when moved to a completely different environment).
    IF you have issue with my lack of "scientific terms", do feel free to post a few links (to articles by people who know more than both of us on the subject), that refute what I said (y'know, once you work out how to use Google).

I can use google enough to spot that you changed 'some' to 'most' from your google search on death of spiders. I also know that search engine results aren't a reference or source.

Species of arachnids found in domestic homes can live perfectly well outdoors. It's your contention most will die - site your research for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't get the fear of spiders.

Completely harmless creatures that stay out of your way and eat annoying house flies.

Think people don't like how they walk.

Peoplel always say how spiders eat flies. What if I simply prefer to have a fly in my room than a disgusting spider?

I can use google enough to spot that you changed 'some' to 'most' from your google search on death of spiders. I also know that search engine results aren't a reference or source.

Species of arachnids found in domestic homes can live perfectly well outdoors. It's your contention most will die - site your research for this.

Wait, you're claiming to be able to see my Google search results? Bwahhaha :pac:
    Go on then, what was the last thing, I searched? Just now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I once saw a wasp getting caught in a spiders web, jesus it was like a live David Attenborough show, the way the spider swooped down and wrapped him up - expertly avoiding the wasps spasming stinger .... wow ...

Wait, you're claiming to be able to see my Google search results? Bwahhaha :pac:
    Go on then, what was the last thing, I searched? Just now.

I googled what you quoted from your google search and the match i got had one word changed. Which reveals you as a spoofer.

Go on then - still waiting.....quote your source for 'most spiders die outside'

Lol see if you can deflect again

I googled what you quoted from your google search and the match i got had one word changed. Which reveals you as a spoofer.

Go on then - still waiting.....quote your source for 'most spiders die outside'

Lol see if you can deflect again

I haven't quoted anything from a Google search. Did one of the voices in your head tell you that. LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

klaaaz wrote: »
    Not in Ireland do they kill. Terrible that you commit murder on a defenceless creature, sounds like you do that to any living being, no empathy or conscience inside you.

Are you a vegan ?

I haven't quoted anything from a Google search. Did one of the voices in your head tell you that. LOL

It's in your post up there. You can paste in your search engine results if you want to deny it.

Your still dodging you can't back up your incorrect claim with scientific sources.

Google. Lol. You dumb fukc.

• Advertisement

It's in your post up there. You can paste in your search engine results if you want to deny it.

Your still dodging you can't back up your incorrect claim with scientific sources.

Google. Lol. You dumb fukc.

So quote my post that you're referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I once saw a wasp getting caught in a spiders web, jesus it was like a live David Attenborough show, the way the spider swooped down and wrapped him up - expertly avoiding the wasps spasming stinger .... wow ...

That's nuttin' I once saw a young lad being attacked by a big spider, covered him in sticky stuff. Luckily Samwise came along :D.

My shed is a mass of spider webs. One time I was sitting on a crate musing*, when a hairy spider, about the size of a 10cent piece, walked across the wall, and one leg caught in a strand of web. Quick as a flash, one of them skinny tiny-bodied spiders with the long spindly legs, ran over and attacked. It completely wrapped the furry spider in silk, really tightly so the victim was completely unable to move. Then he just left him dangling there - presumably for elevenses.

Another time a spider caught a bumble bee in my house. I could hear the buzzing but it took a while to find the poor critter, with the spider doing his best to completely cover the bee in silk. So I shooed away the spider and and took the semi wrapped bee into the garden, and using a dried stalk of grass picked all the silk off him. He just lay there till i was finished. Then after a bit of a rest, he flew away.

NickNickleby - saving the planet without recourse to carbon taxes, yay!!

edit to add : * translates as "I'm out here, love, tidying the shed"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

What's with men admitting to being terrified of spiders? Do they not feel remotely embarrassed?

The only time I've had a problem with a spider was when I found one in a punnet of strawberries I bought from Tesco. I wasn't afraid of the spider but I didn't like the idea of her laying eggs, assuming it was a female, all over my strawberries.

Other than that I have no problem with them. If you're in Australia there might be a reason to be afraid of them but the spiders we have here don't bother me. I'm looking forward to the Winter. Last year I saw loads of these lads. I got on really well with this one.

426736.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

They just flick a switch in me. It’s their legs mostly. It’s a phobia. I don’t really feel the need to justify it. It’s probably some primitive part of my brain signalling danger as if it might be poisonous.

I especially don’t understand people with phobias of their own being unsympathetic towards my spider phobia.
    MarkY91 wrote: »
    Peoplel always say how spiders eat flies. What if I simply prefer to have a fly in my room than a disgusting spider?

Exactly. There are other ways to catch flies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't mind them in the house, but the ones that move into my wing mirrors are toast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Another time a spider caught a bumble bee in my house. I could hear the buzzing but it took a while to find the poor critter, with the spider doing his best to completely cover the bee in silk. So I shooed away the spider and and took the semi wrapped bee into the garden, and using a dried stalk of grass picked all the silk off him. He just lay there till i was finished. Then after a bit of a rest, he flew away.
    I do that regularly too with bumble bees that fly into our conservatory and get tangled up in webs :)

• Advertisement

What's with men admitting to being terrified of spiders? Do they not feel remotely embarrassed?

Why would they feel embarrassed about a phobia? :confused: Maybe they’re not bothered about conforming to meat-headed notions of masculinity?

Yeah and don't even get me started on those so-called agoraphobics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Why would they feel embarrassed about a phobia? :confused: Maybe they’re not bothered about conforming to meat-headed notions of masculinity?

You really have to be 'meat-headed' not to be terrified of a harmless spider alright.

Doesn't matter if it's harmless or not, IG. Phobias aren't rational and the people who have them know that but it doesn't change how they react.

You really have to be 'meat-headed' not to be terrified of a harmless spider alright.

Missing my point by a country mile. The ‘meat-headed’ part refers to you apparently not being able to wrap your head around why a man would admit to a spider phobia. Why do you think they should be embarrassed in any way? What’s your rationale? I’d be astounded if it amounted to anything more “derp, because it’s unmanly, derp!” Because apparently a woman admitting it is fine, seeing as you singled out men? I do feel for men a lot of the time for the expectations of what masculinity is that society heaps on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I hate money spiders. They're only interested in one thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Candie wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if it's harmless or not, IG. Phobias aren't rational and the people who have them know that but it doesn't change how they react.

also bugs carry bugs. If they crawl and have legs they will contaminate food, surfaces etc.

I lived in one terrible rental that was infested with huge spiders after being empty years. One night as I was on the phone this 4 inch spider, heavy with eggs, lowered itself onto my arm... They heard the scream in Canada.....

Many phobias that need respect and sympathy, are worsened by mockery. My reaction to spiders is instant and automatic.

Daddy long legs are even worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We are designed to fear spiders. This stems from our origins in Africa and why we specifically get the shivers. The same applies with Snakes and Rats. Our brains are telling us "danger".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Spleerbun wrote: »
    What's the best catching technique ye all have found? The classic glass over it and slip a bit of paper underneath is it??

I find burning them catches them out all the time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Candie wrote: »
    The amygdala in my brain
    Doesn't the word amygdala have something to do with spiders, too, or am I getting mixed up?

EDIT: No, I was wrong, it means almond. Ah well.

BTW, spideys FTW. :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I like spiders myself. I figure if they're in my gaff then there's a load of other creepy crawlies that need eating.

Years ago I had one that lived behind the mirror in my bedroom. Large enough she was(going by the size I'd reckon "she"). I had a wasps nest close by and that summer she caught and ate a fair number of wasps, so kudos.

One night I awoke in the early hours. And what do I see on the second pillow in the leaba? Only Mirror Spider walking across. She froze stiff when she realised I saw her. Then slowly backed away from the huge ape giant. :D Now that was a spider with personality. We got used to each other in the end.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I have always been terrified of spiders; and was told I was being irrational. I had recurring nightmares that they were all over the ceiling and in my hair.

And then, one day, I woke up and they *were* all over the ceiling and in my hair.

It doesn't matter if you don't believe me; that's the universe we live in. Twas cellar spiders (colloquially daddy long legs, but to me daddy long legs denotes crane flies...), and it was tough to distinguish what was hair and what was legs.

In truth, it improved my fear of spiders, because the worst thing I could imagine had actually happened. It also dramatically worsened my persecution complex.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm in the land of the spiders (Aus) atm and have yet to meet any and hope I don't either :o

Remembering the old song, " I know and old lady who swallowed a fly...she swallowed a spider to catch the fly...."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

She's dead, of course. But I think it was because of the horse.

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    She's dead, of course. But I think it was because of the horse.

Loved that song as a child... used to sing it nonstop.

and yep, the gee gee did it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Wibbs wrote: »
    I like spiders myself. I figure if they're in my gaff then there's a load of other creepy crawlies that need eating.

Years ago I had one that lived behind the mirror in my bedroom. Large enough she was(going by the size I'd reckon "she"). I had a wasps nest close by and that summer she caught and ate a fair number of wasps, so kudos.

One night I awoke in the early hours. And what do I see on the second pillow in the leaba? Only Mirror Spider walking across. She froze stiff when she realised I saw her. Then slowly backed away from the huge ape giant. :D Now that was a spider with personality. We got used to each other in the end.

That's one of the best spidey stories I've ever heard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Wibbs wrote: »

I call all my spider friends Boris. Bathroom Boris was the last one, big old thing too. Beside the bed Boris lasted the longest but then one day, vanished. They are like little creepy angels who eat stuff that we don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

if they can stay in the darkness out of the way, Fine, but if i can hear your Traipsing across the hallway when your 8 spindly legs, when your supposed to be in the corner of the wall, then i;m sorry, its Dyson time.

Also, if they reach a certain Mass, like the size of your thumb, then your taking a spin in the dyson...

sorry :)

Advertisement