Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bali Nine drug smuggler released

Options
  • 21-11-2018 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-46284240
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bali_Nine

Renae Lawrance, one woman who was part of a group of mostly men who were convicted of drug smuggling in Indonesia has been released from prison.

3 of the men involved were executed in 2015 for the same crime.

I don't agree with Indonesia's execution policy for drug smugglers but I do think there should be consistency in judgments across the sexes. If there isn't it undermines the reasoning for the severity of sentences in the first place.

Closer to home I hear that in the UK there is a movement to treat women prisoners in a 'holistic' way. They say things like 'the justice system is failing women (prisoners)'. Also if female prisoners have children 'they should not have custodial sentences so they can continue to look after their kids'.

This doesn't sound like equality to me, quite the opposite, because sometimes equality isn't all that desirable in certain situations, is it?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

A person doesn't get executed and your first thought is to start a tread on feminism, as if we haven't had a million of those already. Meanwhile in another thread people are openly praising the Nazis.. This place is approaching a point of no return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

A person doesn't get executed and your first thought is to start a tread on feminism, as if we haven't had a million of those already. Meanwhile in another thread people are openly praising the Nazis.. This place is approaching a point of no return

Not praising the Nazis it's a tongue in cheek remark I doubt somebody like me would have lasted very long under the Nazis.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That is about as warped an interpretation of my post as you could get that seems plausible. I think you need to take a week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yep, it's grim alright.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

AllForIt wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-46284240
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bali_Nine

Renae Lawrance, one woman who was part of a group of mostly men who were convicted of drug smuggling in Indonesia has been released from prison.

3 of the men involved were executed in 2015 for the same crime.

I don't agree with Indonesia's execution policy for drug smugglers but I do think there should be consistency in judgments across the sexes. If there isn't it undermines the reasoning for the severity of sentences in the first place.

Closer to home I hear that in the UK there is a movement to treat women prisoners in a 'holistic' way. They say things like 'the justice system is failing women (prisoners)'. Also if female prisoners have children 'they should not have custodial sentences so they can continue to look after their kids'.

This doesn't sound like equality to me, quite the opposite, because sometimes equality isn't all that desirable in certain situations, is it?

She obviously didn’t consent and they respected her decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Yep, it's grim alright.

My post was sarcasm and as regards not liking other peoples opinions because of it not being pretty or PC has nobody learned from the history of this country?

Bad behaviour should be called out regardless of the prevailing dogma.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

KevinCavan wrote: »
    She obviously didn’t consent and they respected her decision.

You jest but this is the new thinking in the UK in relation to crimes perpetrated by women. They latch on to some connection to a man, say if their partner is also a criminal, and absolve them of the actions because there is a connection to a man.

Because as we all know women largely get involved in criminal behavior because of their relations with men, where they wouldn't otherwise.

Advertisement