Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Jacobs Island in Cork like to live in?

Options
  • 05-11-2013 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm wondering what Jacobs Island in Cork is like to live in? Is it considered to be a rough area? I've heard bad things about Mahon....
    Any opinions appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jacobs Island is lovely area, I was living there in a 3 bed apartment for 2 years and never seen or heard of any trouble while I was down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

My friend has just moved from there….due to traffic. It looks lovely there though, but she found that she always hit the traffic at optimum times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I'm living there at the moment in a three bed. Great area, no problems at all in the last 5 months. I thought the traffic noise would be awful but it's actually grand, I've never really noticed it. Glad I have a nice long lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭Barr

I know people who have bought apartments there. In the Haven part to be specific. Very nice place to live. There are some real nice houses there as well.

I don’t think it is considered Mahon btw Its an area called Ballinure

Ya the traffic on saturday or Sunday and especially coming up to Christmas can be a disaster, its easy to get to if you're coming from town or Ballincollig area towards Mahon at 5pm onwards but coming from The Tunnel side traffic can build up and kill ya at the exit for Mahon Point,95% of cars will be heading towards Mahon/Balckrock and you'll be going left so you'll be stuck with them if it backs up.

On weekend it backs up on both sides which can see 5/10 minute delays but it would be the only thing I'd fault the place for.

I've lived in the 3 bed Duplex and I've had buddies live in 3 different 2 bed's down there in the Heron and the Haven and they were all nice and well kept.

I think theyre slightly over priced but its in a good location.

I seen this 3 bed : http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1395071

We rented a simialr one 2 years ago for 950.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Barr wrote: »

Ballinure my arse. It's Mahon.

I used to alwyas put down my address as Jacobs Islan, Mahon, Cork on anything I was getting delivered, never a problem with it.

The fact its opposite Mahon Point should be a hint :pac:

Although when I was working in Tesco down there years back a customer tried to convince me Mahon Point was in Rochestown. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I've seen Jacob's Island listed as Blackrock too, seems to be a weird thing about the Mahon name.

To be fair, it's probably an area in itself, cut off by the water and the ring road. Can you easily access the water-side walkway from there? That's a very nice asset to have (walk around Mahon/Blackrock, in the Marina, then cut across the old rail line.

who_me wrote: »
    I've seen Jacob's Island listed as Blackrock too, seems to be a weird thing about the Mahon name.

To be fair, it's probably an area in itself, cut off by the water and the ring road. Can you easily access the water-side walkway from there? That's a very nice asset to have (walk around Mahon/Blackrock, in the Marina, then cut across the old rail line.

Its right on the door step, in fact theres a few paths that lead right on to the walk.

You can head left to go back towards the Blackrock Castle or right and head up towards the old railway line bridge that links to Rochestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It's in the townland of Ballinure :p. Mahon townland doesn't come down that far.

There used to be an old small estate there called Lakelands. I reckon they should have kep that name. It used to be the residence of William Crawford (co-founder of the brewery). Below is a picture of two of his descendants in 1987 at Lakelands. Not sure if any of this is left now. I know the house itself was demolished nearly a hundred years ago

279228.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

who_me wrote: »
    mordeith wrote: »
    It's in the townland of Ballinure :p. Mahon townland doesn't come down that far.

It's very much Mahon. The only other name it could be called is Lakelands. Ballinure is in Blackrock and is on the opposite side of the Peninsula.

Then again, people tend to take liberties with addresses down here... for somethings my Mam will say we're from Blackrock which is utter ****e. Blackrock is a half mile North :pac:

It's very much Mahon. The only other name it could be called is Lakelands. Ballinure is in Blackrock and is on the opposite side of the Peninsula.

If we're talking townland level then the evidence doesn't support your claim. The screenshot below shows the townland of Ballinure outlined in red. Jacob's Island is now within the black rectangle. Mahon townland is bordering Ballinure but doesn't come further south than where the ring road is today.

279244.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Been told a few times most of what people call Mahon is actually blackrock or ballinure, mahon itself being very small. Most of what people call blackrock is actually ballintemple.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Ballinure GAA club is on the heart of Mahon, right next to Ringmahon Rangers FC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Jacobs island is a great spot to live if you're into cycling or walking since you're right beside a park and you're on the old Blackrock and Passage railway - you can cycle or walk out to Passage or into town past Pairc Ui Chaoimh, or off in the direction of Blackrock castle. There's bits of evidence of the old Crawford estate all over the place in the park especially. A nice history here of the site, explaining some of the old ruins: http://www.crawfordartgallery.ie/crawfordfamily1.html

Click here for an old OS map: press 1 for modern map and 6 for the old OS map to see what used to be and what's there now instead (doesn't seem to work on the latest browsers though).

FYI the residents of the housing estate there do NOT like you parking your car there to use the park! Which, if I lived there, I would probably agree with! Overall it's a really nice area, just a shame about the traffic. It'll be mental trying to get in and out when the xmas shopping starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

They actually got planning for the retail in the last few weeks.

This stunning new waterfront development is accessed off the South Ring Road at the Blackrock Interchange immediately south of the Jack Lynch Tunnel.

The Blackrock interchange lolz.
    Marketing at its finest.

evilivor wrote: »
    They actually got planning for the retail in the last few weeks.

What retail is this ? Is it something in Jacobs Island itself .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/draft-plan-for-mahon-to-go-on-display-250750.html

Have a look at this.....it mentions the traffic concerning Jacobs island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭EireinOZ

one word to summary up that area TRAFFIC!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

EireinOZ wrote: »
    one word to summary up that area TRAFFIC!!!!

and try to get insurance for your gaf, 'Cork' and 'island' will scare those insurance companies:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Living here currently. Firstly, it's Mahon, get over it :) Great spot to live, very quiet usually, apartments well insulated which means less noise.
    Haven't had an issue with traffic yet though with the xmas shopping I am expecting some! Probably slightly over priced too rent wise.

Jason1984 wrote: »
    Living here currently. Firstly, it's Mahon, get over it :)

No, it's not. Even the electoral register has the address as Jacob's Island, Blackrock.

I don't even live in the city so I have no vested interest in this, just the pursuit of truth ;)

No, it's not. Even the electoral register has the address as Jacob's Island, Blackrock.

Yes to people not from the area it's Blackrock because the marketing people have told you so.
    If you are from the area you will know that it is Mahon.
    It's not a big deal.

cork_south wrote: »
    Yes to people not from the area it's Blackrock because the marketing people have told you so.
    If you are from the area you will know that it is Mahon.
    It's not a big deal.

I know it's not a big deal. All I'm saying is that it's in the townland of Blackrock, not Mahon. Because of the development of the shopping centre and CityGate complex, Mahon has become the catch-all name for that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Mahon, unfortunately is the PARISH. A relatively new one at that.

Mahon used be Blackrock and Ballinure used be Ballinure [village] divided by the Skehard Road.

The Parish of Mahon incorporated Ballinure but technically ends at the Ring Road. Jacob's Island is the far side of this boundary, thus, not Mahon. It may be Ballinure or it just may be totally independent?

I don't even live in the city so I have no vested interest in this, just the pursuit of truth ;)

Yes, it's still Blackrock as is Ballinure and Mahon, see my other post.

One will recognise the natives in their pronunciation of the name Mahon, most locals call in Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

A lot call it MaHoon and more call it Mahoùn.

• Advertisement

Jacobs Island seems nice enough for now, be aware of the full plans for the area though.

Advertisement