Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Secret Cork city postcodes

Options
  • 20-11-2018 4:57am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Dublin has had a postcode system in place since 1963 and these postcodes have passed into urban folklore. Everyone knows about D4 and there are currently 24 postcodes, the odd numbers being on the north of the Liffey and the even numbers on the south side.

Well, did yis know that Cork has “secret” postcodes too? All 4 of them. Cork 1 and 3 are North of the Lee and 2 and 4 on the south. Why aren’t these postcodes more better known? And given how the city has grown in the past 20 years with the boundary extensions, shouldn’t there be more.

How about Cork 1 and 3 being joined by Cork 5 which would take in Glanmire, and Cork 6 being Douglas and Rochestown and Cork 8 being Ballincollig?

Where is Cork 4 out of curiosity? Bishopstown?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We've Eircodes now, which get you to a letter box, which supersede postcodes, which get you to a general area, so no need to go backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Dublin has had a postcode system in place since 1963 and these postcodes have passed into urban folklore. Everyone knows about D4 and there are currently 24 postcodes, the odd numbers being on the north of the Liffey and the even numbers on the south side.

Well, did yis know that Cork has “secret” postcodes too? All 4 of them. Cork 1 and 3 are North of the Lee and 2 and 4 on the south. Why aren’t these postcodes more better known? And given how the city has grown in the past 20 years with the boundary extensions, shouldn’t there be more.

How about Cork 1 and 3 being joined by Cork 5 which would take in Glanmire, and Cork 6 being Douglas and Rochestown and Cork 8 being Ballincollig?

Where is Cork 4 out of curiosity? Bishopstown?

Dublin has 22 postal code districts (No 19, 21, 23- & D6W)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

[
    Where is Cork 4 out of curiosity? Bishopstown?[/QUOTE]

Cork 4 was Blackrock/ballinlough mahon . In the 1980s there was 4 City sorting Offices , Clontarf Street , Vickers road , the old school house next to the Sliver Key Bar and I think there was One in Churchfield. I only know of one now and that is close to Forge Hill Togher.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Frostybrew

Postcodes were introduced in Cork the same time as in Dublin, but were never used by most people. The numbers are on many street names. The only company I know of that used the system was UPC/NTL/Chorus which always addressed Cork 1, Cork 2, etc.

There is a Cork 5 apparently, but I've never seen it on street signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Postcodes were introduced in Cork the same time as in Dublin, but were never used by most people. The numbers are on many street names. The only company I know of that used the system was UPC/NTL/Chorus which always addressed Cork 1, Cork 2, etc.

There is a Cork 5 apparently, but I've never seen it on street signs.

Spot on, I was about to write something similar.

Screen-Shot-2018-11-20-at-14-14-14.png

Screen-Shot-2018-11-20-at-14-13-51.png

It's one of those things when you're aware of it, you start looking out for it.

Funnily enough, I've only ever seen them on the Northside.

I walked passed two similar signs in Bishopstown a few weeks ago and the number was missing from both. Wouldn't really be on the southside very often to know where else they might be.

The Eircode system we have now is absolutely world class, esp compared to the postcodes in the UK, which can be shared amongst a very large area.

Especially former NHS and RAF sites or farms that have been turned into housing estates, but only show their former use on the RM database.

It's unusual for public money to be spent here on a service and get a return that's better than what we could expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I must admit to being skeptical of the eircodes initially. But having used them a few times recently to pin point exactly where an Air BnB was and another to collect from a seller on Adverts I agree that they are excellent.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was initially sceptical of the eircode system myself, thinking why did we need them for a relatively small country where most postmen know people's addresses by townland and house name but going forward as the population continues to grow it will prove invaluable.

I have my own eircode memorised off by heart at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The Eircode system we have now is absolutely world class,

It's unusual for public money to be spent here on a service and get a return that's better than what we could expect.
    Public money wise it cost twice as much as it was expected to cost, so someone was happy (benefiitted) with the spend :)

I like it, and it was good to get it in, but not sure I’d go so far as to describe it as World Class. I still think it should have been regionized instead of the randomness that was used. For delivering it makes far more sense to see the Eircode and recognize at least the county it’s to be delivered. I do remember an Post and some delivery companies saying it wasn’t used that much; but that was a year ago, so might have changed in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Bishopstown is in the Cork 4 area also, it's on all the street signs.

Our Eircode is a disaster, several delivery people have rung us to say they are lost. Only tonight a delivery man had to ring me to say he couldn't find us and I found him wandering up and down the road looking lost.. and no I don't live in the heart of the country, I live in a suburban estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Wyldwood wrote: »

Our Eircode is a disaster, several delivery people have rung us to say they are lost. Only tonight a delivery man had to ring me to say he couldn't find us and I found him wandering up and down the road looking lost.. and no I don't live in the heart of the country, I live in a suburban estate.

Something wrong there. Delivery man sounds like he hasn't a notion. Every eircode is an actual property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Something wrong there. Delivery man sounds like he hasn't a notion. Every eircode is an actual property.

Exactly. If you use the eircode site it identifies the actual house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Wyldwood wrote: »

When you look up your Eircode on their site does it point to your house? If it does (and I suspect it does) then the issue your delivery guy had was with his mapping technology and not eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Public money wise it cost twice as much as it was expected to cost, so someone was happy (benefiitted) with the spend :)

I like it, and it was good to get it in, but not sure I’d go so far as to describe it as World Class. I still think it should have been regionized instead of the randomness that was used. For delivering it makes far more sense to see the Eircode and recognize at least the county it’s to be delivered. I do remember an Post and some delivery companies saying it wasn’t used that much; but that was a year ago, so might have changed in that time.

An Post never wanted it as they have their GeoDirectory which they were charging good money for people to access. The tin foil hat wearers might think that An Post purposely made Eircode non sequential to benefit themselves, as when Eircode was launched they were going to charge to look up an address if you needed more than a few each day, so courier companies couldn't easily use EirCode to plan delivery routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Out of idle interest, just checked wiki, no mention of a cork 5 but there is some interesting stuff there:

The city of Cork had four numbered postal districts, but these were used internally by An Post and rarely on mail. Cork 1 covered the city centre and large parts of the surrounding city, e.g.: the "Patrick Street" (Sráid Phádraig) sign displays the digit '1'. Cork 2, administered from the Ballinlough sorting office, covered the south-east, Cork 3 (from Gurranabraher) covered the north-west while Cork 4 (from Togher sorting office) covered the south-west. The numbers are not used in the Eircode system, with routing keys in the Cork area instead beginning with the letter 'T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

namloc1980 wrote: »

Unless they never got planning permission and haven't been assigned one.

It's a logistics firm I work for and when troubleshooting incomplete addresses.

I'd encounter a few properties a week that were former granny flats, converted stables or bedsits that were never officially given their own properly registered addresses/numbers.

(Geocodes are the fall back in the above cases)

If the above is kosher, then it will pin point the house on Google maps, but a bit of common sense is still needed, as google will try and send you down phantom roads or across fields.

The further you go outside the city and the older the properties in the area the more essential they get.

There's even a part of the country where all the address you'll get is the parish and 'via-Limerick' even though it's nowhere near the Limerick border.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Unless they never got planning permission and haven't been assigned one.

I can assure you my house has planning permission and I don't live in a granny flat :)

I guess it's the technology those particular delivery people were using. It's happened more than once though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is there a public API for Eircode?

Advertisement