Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A laptop that will handle Plex (~€600)

Options
  • 20-11-2018 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi all, broke down what I'm looking for to hopefully make it clear. 600 might be pushing it but just seeing if you have any suggestions.
      Total budget: €600
    • Not concerned about good battery life as I intend to use it mainly at home, so I looking for the best spec for the money.
    • Using it from home so weight not an issue. Thinness only of interest so long as it doesn't appear overly bulky.
    • Will be using Windows.
    • Not bothered about screen size as long as it isn't 13".
    • Used to play some games via Steam so wouldn't rule out playing some again. Maybe include something like Civ down the line. My main "issue" is being able to use it for my Plex Media Server.
    • No other specific requirements that I can think of. I'm using a ten year old desktop so would be blown away by any improvements on that.
    • With regards to Plex, I currently have the Media Server running off my desktop and stream content via my PS4. However currently it's struggling to stream smoothly so there's a lot of buffering. Plus whenever it is running, I can hear the fans whirring like crazy. So yeah, a laptop that could handle streaming to just one device would be ideal.

Also, considering Black Friday is around the corner, I don't know if that will likely be a factor in choosing something.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

I'd look for a rzyen 2500u machine. the integrated graphics capability beat intel's by a margin allowing for games like Civ to run. but it won't run games that require a powerful disctrete graphics card.

the 4 cores will handle plex fine.

this is a good deal for 375 sterling. use parcel wizard / motel etc as doesn't seem to ship to Ire directly. refurbished by by HP and sold by amazon so any issues, excellent customer service. new equivalent you're looking at 650 euro

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-15-db0996na-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B07JPB1K8R/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1542802673&sr=1-2&keywords=2500u

full hd screen, 8gb ram, 2500u

it will have a free m.2 slot so buy a m.2 2280 sata ssd stick for less than 30 euro to put in to have a fast boot drive for windows and most used program.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TCSUNBOW-120GB-Desktop-MacPro-N8/dp/B01N5KLUO8/ref=sr_1_10?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1542802840&sr=1-10&keywords=m.2+sata+2280

actually this for 550 £ is a great deal. bit over your budget but not much and you're getting a lot. will run even high-end games at 1080p medium settings.

decent discrete graphics card and ok cpu. may need to use parcel motel / other redirection service.

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/700-series/Ideapad-720-15/p/88IP7000910?clickid=0nbwxhQg5TGQyscSE53Vfy4KUkgyNs2hkXorzI0&Program=3766&pid=121977&acid=ww:affiliate:74clty&cid=uk:affiliate:rk5fv4

the rx 560 4g is between an nvidia 1050 and 1050 ti in performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

glasso wrote: »
    actually this for 550 £ is a great deal. bit over your budget but not much and you're getting a lot. will run even high-end games at 1080p medium settings.

decent discrete graphics card and powerful cpu. may need to use parcel motel / other redirection service.

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/700-series/Ideapad-720-15/p/88IP7000910?clickid=0nbwxhQg5TGQyscSE53Vfy4KUkgyNs2hkXorzI0&Program=3766&pid=121977&acid=ww:affiliate:74clty&cid=uk:affiliate:rk5fv4

Same one on Lenovo Ireland for 609

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/700-series/Ideapad-720-15/p/88IP7000910

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

Thanks guys. Looking at the Lenovo suggestion now and coming across positive reviews but some of the negative comments focus on overheating. Since I'll be using this for Plex (and that my current desktop really struggles with this and sounds like it's about to take off when I'm streaming anything from it), should I be concerned?

• Advertisement

seems to be an issue with the 14inch model and with the newer 8th gen cpus. (7th gen in that model linked with the graphics card).

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx/Ideapad-720S-14IKB-fan-noise-cycling/td-p/3898728/page/3

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"Plex" isnt enough info.

Serving 720p H264 with DP is VERY VERY different to transcoding 2160P H265. Also seems like a SFF PC would be way better here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

sacamano wrote: »
    Hi all, broke down what I'm looking for to hopefully make it clear. 600 might be pushing it but just seeing if you have any suggestions.

[

• With regards to Plex, I currently have the Media Server running off my desktop and stream content via my PS4. However currently it's struggling to stream smoothly so there's a lot of buffering. Plus whenever it is running, I can hear the fans whirring like crazy. So yeah, a laptop that could handle streaming to just one device would be ideal.

Also, considering Black Friday is around the corner, I don't know if that will likely be a factor in choosing something.

Thanks in advance.

Time to blow the dust out of your fans and processor heatsink

• Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ED E wrote: »
    "Plex" isnt enough info.

Serving 720p H264 with DP is VERY VERY different to transcoding 2160P H265. Also seems like a SFF PC would be way better here?

I have a home server that runs the Plex server, connected to the router and streams wirelessly to the TVs etc. It does a lot more than that too but I think a dedicated standalone PC/server for it is a better idea.

Something like a SFF 3rd/4th gen I5 with 16GB DDR3 RAM should be more than adequate for most scenarios I'd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

If you have the Plex server setup then you can run plex off any piece of crap client you want. I have it running on the first iPad to come out, Apple TV v.2, real crappy 10 year old laptops. Never had a problem playing content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 fordyjames

Would you be better off with a small PC at the back of the TV and use home plugs?

Could easily get something 2nd hand for cheap enough and game on that as well.

My setup is a PC at the back of the TV that I can connect to with my Android tablet and use chrome cast on one other TV

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Time to blow the dust out of your fans and processor heatsink

Have done that countless times and I can only see (hear) a marginal improvement.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I have a home server that runs the Plex server, connected to the router and streams wirelessly to the TVs etc. It does a lot more than that too but I think a dedicated standalone PC/server for it is a better idea.

Something like a SFF 3rd/4th gen I5 with 16GB DDR3 RAM should be more than adequate for most scenarios I'd think.

As much as I'm not crazy about the appearance of some laptops, I really want to ditch the idea of owning another desktop for the foreseeable future.
    If you have the Plex server setup then you can run plex off any piece of crap client you want. I have it running on the first iPad to come out, Apple TV v.2, real crappy 10 year old laptops. Never had a problem playing content.

But I've been trying to run it off my current set up and I'm getting constant buffering.
    fordyjames wrote: »
    Would you be better off with a small PC at the back of the TV and use home plugs?

Could easily get something 2nd hand for cheap enough and game on that as well.

My setup is a PC at the back of the TV that I can connect to with my Android tablet and use chrome cast on one other TV

Again, don't fancy owning another desktop at this stage - even if I was to tuck it behind the tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 fordyjames

sacamano wrote: »
    Have done that countless times and I can only see (hear) a marginal improvement.

As much as I'm not crazy about the appearance of some laptops, I really want to ditch the idea of owning another desktop for the foreseeable future.

But I've been trying to run it off my current set up and I'm getting constant buffering.

Again, don't fancy owning another desktop at this stage - even if I was to tuck it behind the tv.

Is your router up to scratch?

As far as I know, yeah. I've no issues streaming anything else (e.g. Netflix), only when I'm running something off my desktop.

Advertisement