Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get RTE on my Humax HDR without a Fairview box?

Options
  • 15-01-2021 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭

I was pleased to discover I could tune into CNN HD in STB mode by manually tuning in (can only get SD mode on Freesat)

So I was wondering if I can do the same for Irish channels?

I have a Sky dish but just using Freesat as I've no subscription.

Also no saorview box and my TV has no aerial.

Edit: I see my phone autocorrected Saorview to Fairview in the subject line...doh!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

mrcheez wrote: »
    I was pleased to discover I could tune into CNN HD in STB mode by manually tuning in (can only get SD mode on Freesat)

So I was wondering if I can do the same for Irish channels?

I have a Sky dish but just using Freesat as I've no subscription.

Also no saorview box and my TV has no aerial.

No, the Saorview signals are encrypted from that satellite. RTE is available unencrypted from another satellite, VM, unencrypted,is not available on either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You'd need a separate dish and a special LNB and a diseqc switch for FTA RTE from satellite. Also the Humax I have can only record channels on Freeview. It's also extremely awkward to setup diseqc on it and awkward to switch to non-freesat.

It's simplest to get a TV aerial and if the TV isn't compatible and sold in Ireland less than two years ago, maybe even less than 6 years as there are aspects of SOGA, take it back as not fit for purpose.

A dedicated TV setbox is cheap but many don't do the MHEG5 interactive.

Really it's disappointing how bad Freesat branded boxes are for non-Freesat use. Perhaps deliberate by the Freesat rules. Cheap Redline boxes work better than the Humax, but have no MHEG5 for the button services. So we retired the Humax and have a cheap Manhatten Freesat for button services and a Redline for all content FTA on Freesat and three other satellites, inc the one with RTE using the special LNB.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Yeah looks like I'll need a separate Saorview box, or aerial.

Would any standard aerial receive all the digital channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Yeah looks like I'll need a separate Saorview box, or aerial.

Would any standard aerial receive all the digital channels?

Here's some information for you.
    Look at the video & it should tell you what aerial you need in whatever area you are in.
    https://www.freetv.ie/saorview-digital-aerials/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Here's some information for you.
    Look at the video & it should tell you what aerial you need in whatever area you are in.
    https://www.freetv.ie/saorview-digital-aerials/

Those all look pretty big.. I was thinking of something like the size of a router I can just tuck away in the corner of a shelf?

I'm close to Dublin city centre so signal should be strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Those all look pretty big.. I was thinking of something like the size of a router I can just tuck away in the corner of a shelf?

I'm close to Dublin city centre so signal should be strong

If your in a strong reception area & its an indoor aerial you're looking for then then this one looks the part.
    https://www.freetv.ie/tv-aerial-kits/

Advertisement