Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merge and split terrestrial and satellite signals - much effort?

Options
  • 30-12-2020 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have a Zgemma H7S and I connect to a satellite dish and an internal aerial. We don't have a rooftop aerial, but my neighbours (also my in laws) do, which is not in use and is next to our satellite dish.

We currently rent and don't want the hassle of doing any sort of big work, so I was wondering is it possible to use the existing cabling and something to merge the aerial and satellite signal and then split at the TV? Is this feasible?

What I was thinking was to run a small length of cable from aerial to the satellite dish, then merge signal on one of the sat cables, leaving the other as is, then split them at the TV end. This would mean I'd just need to get a few bits of cable, something to connect and split signal and access to the roof. Is this possible or am I being very optimistic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,495 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The Cush wrote: »

So to be clear, does this mean:
    1. Connect short bit of aerial cable from aerial to this device
    2. Connect short bit of satellite cable from one of the connections on lnb to this device
    3. Connect existing satellite cable that was previously connected to lnb to the output of this device
    4. At the TV end, get a splitter and run short cabling to the satellite and TV.

I think the actual cable is the same for Terrestrial and satellite, it's just the connectors, right? Is this the same for this device?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭dermo2014

Another option might be to replace the dish LNB with a SAT and TERRESTIAL LNB.

https://powercity.ie/product/QUAD40

Just connect the aerial cable to the LNB and replace the wall plates in your rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭greasepalm

On one box i have a 3" aerial plugged in and works as close to transmitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The Cush wrote: »

Got this and the indoor one for the other end. I was lazy and got cables too. All in was €21ish, took me about 5 minutes to connect. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭MenloPete

If I could just piggyback here...
    I just installed diplexers yesterday, but the sat signal did not come through. I have the old style brown TV coax in the wall - could this be a problem? (I haven't yet had time to check that I didn't introduce a short circuit on the sat input)

That is old cable,what 30 - 40 yr old.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,495 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

MenloPete wrote: »
    I have the old style brown TV coax in the wall - could this be a problem?

Most likely, old brown co-ax cable isn't suitable for the high frequency feed from the dish.

http://www.megalithia.com/elect/cable/index.html

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/cable-connectors-and-leads/the-three-main-types-of-coax-cable

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

... I just installed diplexers yesterday, but the sat signal did not come through. I have the old style brown TV coax in the wall - could this be a problem? (I haven't yet had time to check that I didn't introduce a short circuit on the sat input)

Yeah, lack of power to the LNB would be the first thing to suspect, so rule that out before condemning the cable.

• Advertisement

Yeah, lack of power to the LNB would be the first thing to suspect, so rule that out before condemning the cable.

Finally got around to checking the cabling. The braid had managed to escape from the connector at the back of the dipexer plate, so no power to LNB as you said. Interesting that the terrestrial signal came through with just the centre wire connected...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Finally got around to checking the cabling. The braid had managed to escape from the connector at the back of the dipexer plate, so no power to LNB as you said. Interesting that the terrestrial signal came through with just the centre wire connected...

Are you getting all the satellite stations, or just some?

Are you getting all the satellite stations, or just some?

Getting all, now that I've reconnected the braid properly. I just found it interesting that the terrestrial came through without the braid connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Terrestrial is much lower in frequency so less signal loss on a bad connection. The LNB also needs voltage so if braid was disconnected there's no power going to LNB.

Getting all, now that I've reconnected the braid properly. I just found it interesting that the terrestrial came through without the braid connection.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭micks_address

im using diplexers and get a little bit of breakup on saorview from time to time. I don't think its signal issue as there's strong signal on the receiver. No issues with satellite feed.

Might that be Rte 1 as i got breakup on that channel only when i used an indoor aerial.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Might that be Rte 1 as i got breakup on that channel only when i used an indoor aerial.

Yes it’s only rte1. It’s a rooftop aerial we use though that was fitted by installer maybe ten heads ago

Might you have recanned box to see if has changed slightly.

I remember posts about a different Mux on Saorview.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Might you have recanned box to see if has changed slightly.

I remember posts about a different Mux on Saorview.

Yeah I’ve rescanned and tried different muxs. Doesn’t happen a lot. To be fair only really watch the news on rte1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

There will still be some capacitive coupling which can be sufficient with a strong signal. It didn't work with satellite, as the LNB required power.

It's good to know that you're getting all the satellite signals with that quality of cable. I'm a strong believer in pragmatic solutions to technology problems, and this approach could see many people out of a hole. (Having said that, this type of cable has many disadvantages, including greater loss at the higher frequencies, than satellite grade cable, and should only be used when attempting to avoid running a new cable. :))

• Advertisement
Advertisement