Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Thats strange why is mine still "In Progress" ??

What item did ye order ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    Thats strange why is mine still "In Progress" ??

What item did ye order ?

Space gray cellular, and was ordered by about 8:05 on Friday , more than likely just making their way down the list, it's not due to be delivered until the 22nd, they ship them to a hub to be held for delivery, hence they can charge the cards as the delivery process has started

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Hi all, I'm travelling to the states next month and was thinking of buying the watch.

If I were to purchase the cellular Series 3 in the states, I'm assuming the LTE functionality won't work here (even if hypothetically the mobile Irish networks get on board in the future)...? Would I be correct with my reasoning here (I am not by any means a techie btw :o). As per this link the model number differs for the UK watch and the USA watch... and LTE frequencies consequently differ.....so would I be buying a redundant device which may never have the capabilities to work here?

Tbh the main pull for me with respects to the LTE model centres on capacity - 16gb vs 8gb. Just wondering whether the watch can function fully without a cellular sim being inserted....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Not sure anyone can give you a definitive answer at this point. I suspect it will ultimately work here as it works across all the US networks.

I wonder how much of the 16gb is available as presumably some of that is needed for the cellular functionality

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hi all, I'm travelling to the states next month and was thinking of buying the watch.

If I were to purchase the cellular Series 3 in the states, I'm assuming the LTE functionality won't work here (even if hypothetically the mobile Irish networks get on board in the future)...? Would I be correct with my reasoning here (I am not by any means a techie btw :o). As per this link the model number differs for the UK watch and the USA watch... and LTE frequencies consequently differ.....so would I be buying a redundant device which may never have the capabilities to work here?

Tbh the main pull for me with respects to the LTE model centres on capacity - 16gb vs 8gb. Just wondering whether the watch can function fully without a cellular sim being inserted....?

Apple have already stated that a cellular watch from the US will not work in Europe.
    Its obviously down to the differents LTE bands used in the US. Your best option is purchasing a UK watch as we all use the same bands in Europe really. However by the time Irish carriers actually get on board guaranteed the Series 4 watch will be out.
    Vodafone and Three already said they have no plans to support it at this point in time.

Regarding you question about functionality its best to ask in one of the apple stores. Until they're released no one knows if it will work with just bluetooth for the LTE model.

Here's a link..
    So you can still work the watch as normal without LTE..but there's no point buying a lte watch in the US...buy one from the UK..at least then down the road it should work here when the carriers support it.

https://www.imore.com/yes-you-can-buy-apples-gps-cellular-apple-watch-and-use-it-without-lte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Not sure anyone can give you a definitive answer at this point. I suspect it will ultimately work here as it works across all the US networks.

I wonder how much of the 16gb is available as presumably some of that is needed for the cellular functionality
    Blazer wrote: »
    Apple have already stated that a cellular watch from the US will not work in Europe.
    Its obviously down to the differents LTE bands used in the US. Your best option is purchasing a UK watch as we all use the same bands in Europe really. However by the time Irish carriers actually get on board guaranteed the Series 4 watch will be out.
    Vodafone and Three already said they have no plans to support it at this point in time.

Regarding you question about functionality its best to ask in one of the apple stores. Until they're released no one knows if it will work with just bluetooth for the LTE model.

Here's a link..
    So you can still work the watch as normal without LTE..but there's no point buying a lte watch in the US...buy one from the UK..at least then down the road it should work here when the carriers support it.

https://www.imore.com/yes-you-can-buy-apples-gps-cellular-apple-watch-and-use-it-without-lte

Thanks Cloudio9 and Blazer - great deal to think about before I make my purchase :)

Space gray cellular, and was ordered by about 8:05 on Friday , more than likely just making their way down the list, it's not due to be delivered until the 22nd, they ship them to a hub to be held for delivery, hence they can charge the cards as the delivery process has started

22nd !!!!
    I ordered about 8.25am and got a delivery of 9th Oct - 16th Oct !!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Does not look like the Cellular Series 3 Watch will be supported in Ireland any time soon if the article attached is anything to go by :(.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/when-will-apple-watch-3-lte-come-three-3664187/

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    22nd !!!!
    I ordered about 8.25am and got a delivery of 9th Oct - 16th Oct !!!! :eek:

Minutes on preorder can be weeks on delivery, had no connection last year and it cost me 2 weeks on the 7+. Order status is for delivery Friday.

9th - 16th is quite a span, they usually are cautious on delivery dates I'd expect you will get it closer to the 9th

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Does not look like the Cellular Series 3 Watch will be supported in Ireland any time soon if the article attached is anything to go by :(.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/when-will-apple-watch-3-lte-come-three-3664187/

I'll be very surprised if one of the carriers doesn't support it in the near future, even as a differentiator! I'm on a sim only contract and will jump to whoever supports the LTE watch first.

But even without the support the LTE is worth the extra €80 for double the space and the red crown 😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Three never seemed to have much of a clue about the high tech end of things. VF seem quicker to adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't see how this is relevant to Ireland. EE have an exclusive deal in the UK (those exclusive deals are stupid, and I think they restrict Apple sales) and there is nothing stopping an Irish network from doing their own deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't see how this is relevant to Ireland. EE have an exclusive deal in the UK (those exclusive deals are stupid, and I think they restrict Apple sales) and there is nothing stopping an Irish network from doing their own deal.

If anyone will be first to do it here it will be Voda. Can’t see Three being in a position to do it for a few years.

faceman wrote: »
    If anyone will be first to do it here it will be Voda. Can’t see Three being in a position to do it for a few years.

Well I'd never use Three so no issues there.

Is there a major tech requirement/development for the networks to do this? Surely it's just a shared sim on their network?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

quiggs1000 wrote: »

None of the LTE bands will work in Ireland at all anyways, even if you purchase it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Well I'd never use Three so no issues there.

Is there a major tech requirement/development for the networks to do this? Surely it's just a shared sim on their network?
    It would be a big change for operators to introduce eSims, as a whole new system would need to be setup and support then, i think it will be part of the 5G network rollout.

billbond4 wrote: »
    It would be a big change for operators to introduce eSims, as a whole new system would need to be setup and support then, i think it will be part of the 5G network rollout.

I wonder if that really is the requirement.

How are other networks abroad doing it.

5G is while off yet.

Irish operators are only after upgrading there network to LTE, doubt they are in a rush to spend a few 100,000e to add support for eSims anytime soon

Irish operators are only after upgrading there network to LTE, doubt they are in a rush to spend a few 100,000e to add support for eSims anytime soon

Of course they will if there's a return on investment.

Seriously, Irish networks are not that bad at all, don't get all the knocking.

HD voice vodafone ireland 2012
    HD voice three ireland 2017

Not sure of the RoI too much yet with not many eSim devices, also if you have to physically have to go into a shop to get a sim there is more of a chance of upselling etc.

• Advertisement

New watch facing major issues connecting to LTE. Admitted to by Apple and they are working on a fix.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Of course they will if there's a return on investment.

Seriously, Irish networks are not that bad at all, don't get all the knocking.

Agreed. Vodafone Ireland is one of the fastest and most reliable networks I’ve used in any country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Agreed. Vodafone Ireland is one of the fastest and most reliable networks I’ve used in any country.

I agree. It is a great shame that they are so horrendously expensive and miserly with data allowances.

Yes,but remember Three's horrendous data speeds for years !
    I still dont see eSims for a few years as i operators has spend a lot of money
    upgrading networks over the last few years

Yes,but remember Three's horrendous data speeds for years !
    I still dont see eSims for a few years as i operators has spend a lot of money
    upgrading networks over the last few years

That's what their business involves, constant upgrading of their networks.

They will do what is necessary of more and more e-Sim products are brought out otherwise they will miss out.

I never use Three, but just because they have been bad , does not mean they all have.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I agree. It is a great shame that they are so horrendously expensive and miserly with data allowances.

Definitely the best performing network from all the ones I've used, between work and personal devices. But too expensive and stingy, their data bundles are minimalist.

Anyone here in Ireland set up a series 3 LTE yet? Just wondering if there are any issues. Mine is due tonight via parcel motel but I won't get to it till tomorrow

Let me know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Anyone here in Ireland set up a series 3 LTE yet? Just wondering if there are any issues. Mine is due tonight via parcel motel but I won't get to it till tomorrow

Shouldn't be any issues as you use the iPhone to set it up.
    There's an issue with the LTE watch in that it connects or attempts to connect to wifi networks and kills the lte connection. Apple are currently working on a fix but its not something we'll have to worry about here.

I'm still bitter over not getting the LTE model here.
    I had promised myself since I wasn't bothered with the iphone x that I would treat myself to the steel version this time around.
    I could get it in the UK but there's no guarantees it will work here when LTE launches plus there'd be a newer version by then.

• Advertisement

Collected the LTE this morning and fired it up, very easy setup process via the phone, no reference to LTE during setup, I can only assume that once you have a compatible plan the watch app configures the eSIM automatically, fingers crossed it will work here eventually. I was getting the series 3 anyway and the extra storage for music meant the LTE model was the only option for me. The mobile data settings show Plan > No Sim and Status > No Connection

Advertisement