Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adding extra 2x4gb sticks to existing 2x2gb of ram

Options
  • 04-03-2016 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

as title states would there be any compatibility issues if i added extra two sticks of ram,

current pc has 2x2gb ddr3 1333mhz cl9,just ordered extra 2x4gb 1333mhz 9cl ,only difference 8gb can be overclocked and are different brand where existing ones are generic brand,MB is z97 and supports up to 32gb,just wonder would two different brand and sizes would work in dual channel mode,or would there be conflict and just stick with 8gb instead.
    OS win 10 pro x64.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

I don't think they would all work together tbh. Ram works best as pairs from the factory. Best way to find out is throw them in and see. You can do a ram check in windows. Then try just the new 2x4gb on their own and see do you notice an improvement. Honestly the 2x4gb on their own would be plenty for any system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

They should work fine.I had a similar set up on my z97 before I went with 4 x 8gb sticks.

Keep the 2 x 2gb on one channel and add the 2 x 4gb to the other channel,but they will most likely work in any configuration.

magentis wrote: »
    They should work fine.I had a similar set up on my z97 before I went with 4 x 8gb sticks.

Keep the 2 x 2gb on one channel and add the 2 x 4gb to the other channel,but they will most likely work in any configuration.

Maybe? It's worth trying and testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

lol guys a bit of delay in reply posted this 3 months ago.

that said got the kit back then with 2x4gb yes more then enough,still got two stick of 2x2 but since different size and manufacturers never put it in,since dont know how other dual channel would react to being smaller.

scamalert wrote: »

that said got the kit back then with 2x4gb yes more then enough,still got two stick of 2x2 but since different size and manufacturers never put it in,since dont know how other dual channel would react to being smaller.

lol, small delay alright. I'm glad it worked out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

scamalert wrote: »

Ha only saw the date now!

You should pop it in 99% certain it will be fine.Same speed,same latency it would improve the machine without doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

if had better cpu that would be of use but now using intel g3258 and old vga,while 8gb was good boost,and system rarely uses more then 4gb when playing some games,only benefit would be if setting up VM for linux or some other OS,plus have spare pc that actually needs ddr3 ram if decide to use in future.

Advertisement