Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YouTube Kids on Samsung Tablet

Options
  • 20-01-2021 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

As part of current home-schooling, my kids' teachers have sent links to YouTube videos on different subjects for the kids to watch.

On one tablet we have YouTube kids installed - but the videos the teacher has recommended aren't showing up on that, so we need to install the regular YouTube.

I have Google Family Link set up and linked to the tablet - but cannot for the life of me figure out how to set it to allow the installation of YouTube.

Could it be that when I input the child's details (to set her up with a Google account) that the date of birth will not allow YouTube to be installed...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

YouTube can be installed on tablets controlled by Family Link:
    Setting up the phone, I quickly ran into the limitation that regularly drives kids and their parents crazy: Children under 13 are only allowed to use YouTube Kids. The regular YouTube app and YouTube Music are off-limits to them, and there's nothing a parent can change about that.

That's incredibly annoying when you share a YouTube family subscription and would like to give your child access to music, which was possible regardless of age with Play Music. It's also a problem if teachers rely on educational YouTube content, especially with the ongoing pandemic
    My workaround: I installed Mozilla Firefox and created a launcher shortcut for YouTube.
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/01/06/read-this-before-you-create-a-google-account-for-your-kid/

Haven't tried it myself, we've just being using a different machine for the videos my son has to watch. I really regret setting his tablet up with Family Link. The other Parental software we use is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

YouTube can be installed on tablets controlled by Family Link:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/01/06/read-this-before-you-create-a-google-account-for-your-kid/

Haven't tried it myself, we've just being using a different machine for the videos my son has to watch. I really regret setting his tablet up with Family Link. The other Parental software we use is much better.

The funny thing is though - both kids are under 13, and both have use of separate tablets which are both controlled by Family Link.... but the other child has the normal YouTube installed on her tablet!

Would it make a difference if YouTube was installed before the tablet was linked to Family Link?

Advertisement