Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using apple fitness+ ?

Options
  • 23-12-2020 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Planning the great detox & fitness campaign that may only last three weeks.

Wondering if apple fitness plus is worth it?

Have an ATV as well as the watch etc.

Just wondering how it works if there’s more than o e person using it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

You get a free trial anyway of a month (more if you recently bought a watch), so I'd say give it a shot and if you give up after 3 weeks, you haven't lost anything.

The trainers are extremely... American in their smiley ness (even though a lot are Brits), but they ensure everyone from beginners with limited Range of Movement to fit people are looked after in each workout.

I don't think it works well if two people want to do the same workout; the workaround there is to start the same workout on one device per exerciser. If you mean multiple users per Apple TV then you just bring your watch near the ATV and it syncs with that watch, even if you're not a part of a family plan of the owner of the ATV.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Im on the month trial. Im a long-term user of Fiton, one of their biggest ''competitors''.

Lots of positives as mentioned above.
    • Integration is really nice. Start on your iPhone. Watch nudges you to press play and off you go.
    • Nice onscreen stats, HR, halfway points, ring progress.
    • It just syncs data much better than any 3rd party app. I have often done a full workout on Fiton for the data not to sync or HR not to be captured.
    • The workouts are curated which I really like and the trainers will refer to the songs.

Little snags -
    • Needs better pause, rewind/ffw 10secs buttons.
    • I found on good speed wifi, if you pause or leave the app to take a call, it can take a long time to buffer, and I really dont want to clog my phone with downloaded workouts.
    • Its hard to find workouts that target specific body areas. Fiton has 20/30 mins videos that just focus on arms, or abs for example.
    • Core workouts on F+ dont seem to be longer than 10mins.
    • Trainers are super enthusiastic (read: American) and I dont feel the camera pans to show their form very well.
    • It can be distracting having 3 people to watch. Maybe 2 would be better.
    • If you like to work out with your own music, youre stuck.

Overall the finish is slick, the integration and music is what does it for me. Ill keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,320 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Started it today the free months trial and used the 10 minute beginners sessions HIIT & Strength as a warm up for a 5km run and found it grand connected to my watch with no issues.

The trainers seem grand and positive but not overly American positive yet anyway to me.

Uses it on Apple TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

I'm really liking it! Sticking to HIIT and dance mostly, the integration with the apple watch is a huge selling point and the workouts are really fun. They come in 10, 20 and 30 minute versions too, so you can do a quick one and then move onto another longer one if you're feeling it which is good (I find starting the hardest thing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Finding an issue where I have to start the workout on my phone then airplay to the Apple TV. Is that the way it works as I can just seem to use the fitness app on the Apple TV to start a workout?

Workouts seem good (only done two 10 min ones so far) yeah the instructors seem a little too happy go lucky but I’m pretty sure all fitness instructors are like that (probably some psychology behind it too).

Definitely will try keep it up for the 3 month trial.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Finding an issue where I have to start the workout on my phone then airplay to the Apple TV. Is that the way it works as I can just seem to use the fitness app on the Apple TV to start a workout?

Workouts seem good (only done two 10 min ones so far) yeah the instructors seem a little too happy go lucky but I’m pretty sure all fitness instructors are like that (probably some psychology behind it too).

Definitely will try keep it up for the 3 month trial.

How did you get 3 months? I bought my series 6 on launch day and I only got 1 month!

eeloe wrote: »
    How did you get 3 months? I bought my series 6 on launch day and I only got 1 month!

Not sure, I also have a series 6, maybe it's because I subscribe to Apple One (Family) plan :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

I do the workouts straight from the TV and it just asks me to start it on the watch. Keeps stats on the TV screen while doing it.

eeloe wrote:

I'd a similar issue. I contacted apple support yesterday and they gave me a 3 month free code to redeem in the app store. The cool part is that the three months kicks in after the initial month so I've actually gotten 4 months free.

The trainers are super happy and it does weirdly help. Its like they know when you're beginning to struggle and they tell t you to smile. There's technique to it

So 2 workouts where HR wasnt recorded throughout and 1 workout that failed halfway through twice. Cant seem to replay a workout and fastforward to where you were.

Also really running out of workouts to do... I may have to go back to Fiton until the Library is bigger

gmacww wrote: »
    I do the workouts straight from the TV and it just asks me to start it on the watch. Keeps stats on the TV screen while doing it.

Hmm maybe it's my Apple TV that doesn't have the hardware to have it start on the watch I have the old Apple TV 1080p box (first one that allowed apps to be installed).

Not a huge deal to start on phone and airplay I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Airplay is disabled/not available in the Fitness app. My tv has airplay and the apple tv app built in and it works great for everything else so I'm not buying an apple tv box just for fitness. Hopefully they see the light and enable it in an update but it looks like a plan to sell more tv boxes

Airplay is disabled/not available in the Fitness app. My tv has airplay and the apple tv app built in and it works great for everything else so I'm not buying an apple tv box just for fitness. Hopefully they see the light and enable it in an update but it looks like a plan to sell more tv boxes

Or they rushed this out in a year where everyone working on the technology of this is pretty much working from home and had a hard deadline to be in time for the "new year new me" stuff.

I'm sure airplay support (to non-appleTV devices) will come, Apple already have you with a watch and a phone/iPad so it's safe to say you're a fairly good customer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I'm sure airplay support (to non-appleTV devices) will come, Apple already have you with a watch and a phone/iPad so it's safe to say you're a fairly good customer :pac:

And a macbook and AirPods and Music and TV+ and iCloud storage....they've their claws well into me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Using the fitness+ for the last week mainly for yoga (which as a middle aged Irish man thought would never happen) and am getting addicted already!

Wife and daughter are using it, all on free options for the moment. The 3 of us have apple watchs....and there is an argument every time who is to be “logged on” to get the stats on our account.

Is there a way to share one account/use watches at same time so that all 3 of us get the benefit of stars on our individual accounts?

Also, I can’t find option on Apple One that includes fitness+, I see reference of an Apple One Premier which has it but not there when go into Irish Apple store. Am I missing something or is it just not an option in Ireland.

Thanks and hope I’m making sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

higster wrote: »

Is there a way to share one account/use watches at same time so that all 3 of us get the benefit of stars on our individual accounts?

Also, I can’t find option on Apple One that includes fitness+, I see reference of an Apple One Premier which has it but not there when go into Irish Apple store. Am I missing something or is it just not an option in Ireland.

Thanks and hope I’m making sense!

AFAIK. The watch on screen will allow you to log out and in.

Ireland doesn’t appear to be getting the top tier of apple one because it includes news.

Thanks. That’s what I was thinking.
    Yeah the watch on the screen gets the stats. The others that are exercising with me don’t get the benefit of the stats on their watches which is a big pity.

Looks like I’m out of luck...

https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-use-apple-fitness-plus/

Fitness+ does not support dual workouts on the screen; if you want to work out with your friend simultaneously, you can start the same workout on their Apple Watch and tag along. However, their progress won’t be seen on the same screen; you will need two screens for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

subscribed - unable to Airplay to LG tv with Airplay 2 - unsubscribed

Surely it makes sense to be able to Airplay to any Airplay device, TV, Laptop etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

eusap wrote: »
    subscribed - unable to Airplay to LG tv with Airplay 2 - unsubscribed

Surely it makes sense to be able to Airplay to any Airplay device, TV, Laptop etc...

I don't think airplay works with video ever.

I don't like Apple's strategy of having to use their devices for their content.

Apple Music is on fewer platforms than its rivals.

Only recently started having Apple TV+ apps for platforms such as firestick or Xbox.

I just think if they push subscriptions and not be a requirement to have an apple device for it.

I have an Apple watch but not an Apple TV and I've no way of putting the fitness content on a 4 year old LG TV. It's stupid.

Up to nearly 300 videos on F+ now

Is it just me or are there very few 30 min vids? Particularly in Strength.

Had more HR connectivity issues but ive paid my 80 now for the year

• Advertisement

Looks like fitness+ will work with airplay 2 devices come 14.5 (dev beta out today)

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/02/01/apple-fitness-plus-airplay-2-support/

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I'm pleasantly surprised with Apple Fitness+ actually. Good variety in workouts, great Apple Watch integration, quick and handy workouts. It's the perfect service for lockdown, but I'm not sure is it something I would use if gyms etc were open..

So those who've been doing it since January... How you getting on? What's your weight loss/fitness levels like a month in?

Unfortunately, I injured my groin (fnarr) the day before I was planning to start so still holding off, but still eager to get into it.

OU812 wrote: »
    So those who've been doing it since January... How you getting on? What's your weight loss/fitness levels like a month in?

Unfortunately, I injured my groin (fnarr) the day before I was planning to start so still holding off, but still eager to get into it.

I didnt set weight goals... and I do think F+ lacks any sense of programme or goal setting. Its just a library of videos. Im going to dip in and out of the HIIT and strength videos. I am subscribed to F+, but Im back using the strength and arm workouts on Fiton mostly. Its just more focused in terms of body area to work on. And I prefer having just 1 trainer on the screen.

Just FYI - I tried to see if my health insurance would consider it the same as gym/fitness class programme which I can get reimbursed for.. and Irish Life said no :D Worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Subscribed just now as have 3 months free with Apple Watch. Gonna test it out and see if it’s any good.

OU812 wrote: »

Didn’t set any weight loss. For me it’s all better flexibility (ie hip shoulder calves movement for me is non existent) so focusing on 30min yoga sessions for now. Intend to move to hit sessions in couple months.

So...have used it every day bar 2 since Jan 1. Definitely seeing flexibility improvements. Do like how it’s set up and sessions themselves. Have signed up for 1 year sub.

I’ve finally started this in the last two weeks. A combination of injuries and other stuff getting in the way until now.

Absolutely loving it. I’ve made some other changes such as eating healthier and walking and am seeing some weight loss and toning. Have done hit, core, strength and dance so far (dance nearly killed me!!).

Will be signing up for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i really like it , ive been doing the weights , core & yoga
    my big gripe is the music , mostly terrible , would love it to link up to my apple music playlists instead

• Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Looks like fitness+ will work with airplay 2 devices come 14.5 (dev beta out today)

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/02/01/apple-fitness-plus-airplay-2-support/

It works now, I used it today.

The only mildly annoying thing is it's only the video that will AirPlay, the burn bar or activity rings and timer will not show on the TV.

My biggest complaint trhough is the app itself, it seems unfinished. It's basically just a video library with some very basic filtering.

I'd like to see them ask what you're interested in doing, set some goals, then maybe give you some sort of pathway, or recommend a particular trainer. Maybe even say "try this workout, then when you're comfortable we recommend this, and then this".

I have no idea why you'd pick one trainer over another, is it just down to finding one who you like the look of?

• Advertisement
Advertisement