Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ortofon OM10 cartridge question

Options
  • 20-12-2020 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

Recently resurrected my turntable based HiFi system from the 1980s, only this time I have a modern Ortofon OM10 cartridge (instead of a vintage Ortofon VMS 20 MKII cartridge).

Result = lacking bass.

Really lacking bass punch & depth, which leads me to believe that the brand new Ortofon OM10 is the culprit.

System: Pro-Ject Debut III SE with (Ortofon OM10 cartridge), original 1980s NAD 3020i amplifier, hooked up to a pair of truly wonderful 1980s KEF Celeste SP1145 speakers!

I know the speakers have oodles of bass, I also know for sure that the NAD can pomp out some serious bass too, so I guess the OM10 is responsible for the missing bass, unless the turntable is the culprit? Original turntable was a DUAL CS 506 fitted with said Ortofon VMS20 MKII.

So the question is, has anybody else had experience of the Ortofon OM10 cartridge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Recently resurrected my turntable based HiFi system from the 1980s, only this time I have a modern Ortofon OM10 cartridge (instead of a vintage Ortofon VMS 20 MKII cartridge).

Result = lacking bass.

Really lacking bass punch & depth, which leads me to believe that the brand new Ortofon OM10 is the culprit.

System: Pro-Ject Debut III SE with (Ortofon OM10 cartridge), original 1980s NAD 3020i amplifier, hooked up to a pair of truly wonderful 1980s KEF Celeste SP1145 speakers!

I know the speakers have oodles of bass, I also know for sure that the NAD can pomp out some serious bass too, so I guess the OM10 is responsible for the missing bass, unless the turntable is the culprit? Original turntable was a DUAL CS 506 fitted with said Ortofon VMS20 MKII.

So the question is, has anybody else had experience of the Ortofon OM10 cartridge?

Had it on a at lp120 for about half a day, didn't like it at all, harsh top end sound poor bass as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

How did you get on with this ? I have the 2M Red cartridge and a Cambridge Preamp and it works fine. Lots of detail and good bass if a bit controlled.

Sounds like you have a mismatch or wrong tracking weight set ?

Ken

Advertisement