Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get compost worms in Dublin

Options
  • 23-09-2020 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know where to get compost worms in Dublin?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

I've never heard of compost worms, if your compost is on the ground or in a container with holes in the bottom of it the worms will find their own way into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭simo28

I've never heard of compost worms, if your compost is on the ground or in a container with holes in the bottom of it the worms will find their own way into it.

brandling worms or red worms are what I'm after, they much prefer to munch on manure and green waste. earth worms prefer to live underground. I usually get them in Wexford but with the current restrictions I can't leave the county

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

You can order them online. That's what I did because I couldn't find any place in Dublin to get them.

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    You can order them online. That's what I did because I couldn't find any place in Dublin to get them.

thanks for the reply, can you recommend a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

simo28 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply, can you recommend a website?

Sure. I got mine from The Worm Bin.

https://www.thewormbin.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwh7H7BRBBEiwAPXjadnVwMaR_l8jToUzFH-3d54S3An2Wd5CMYp777rpOiY80jjmrSxbdbBoCkDoQAvD_BwE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

brandling worms or red worms are what I'm after, they much prefer to munch on manure and green waste. earth worms prefer to live underground. I usually get them in Wexford but with the current restrictions I can't leave the county

Well, I learnt something today, I always thought that it was earthworms that did all the work in the compost bin. I'd say it's earthworms in my bin as I never bought any type of worm for it. No matter, they do make lovely compost.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Well, I learnt something today, I always thought that it was earthworms that did all the work in the compost bin. I'd say it's earthworms in my bin as I never bought any type of worm for it. No matter, they do make lovely compost.:)

Very much the same. I got tiger worms for my worm farm when I bought it many years back but they all got wiped out in a cold winter. Replaced with earthworms from the composter and no noticeable difference in performance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

earth worms prefer to live underground.
    you should tell that to the lads in my compost bin so. if you keep it reasonably moist and stocked, they'll be more than happy.

This is interesting to me. I started composting in March but not much going on so I started researching and everything seemed to point to earthworms not being suited so know I don't what to believe.
    I guess I've failed at attracting them to my compost heap so there's no harm in trying the fancy worms and see how that goes

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

More contacts here (from a county council website):

Suppliers of Wormeries, Worms and Advice Name Address Telephone Number
    Same Address Telephone Number
    Jim Byrne Kingfisher Baits, Pier Road, Enniscrone, Co Sligo 096 36733
    Nova Gatsby Wrigglers Worm Farm, Ardvoley, Dromahaire, Co Leitrim 071 9164880
    Worm Express Ireland The Griffens Island, Ballyhaunis, Co Mayo 094 9632947
    Irish Earthworm Company Farnivane, Bandon, Co Cork 023 52343
    Loughview Worms 33 Cluntoe View, Ardboe, Co Tyrone BT71 5BS 079 80607450/028 86735893
    Earthworms Unlimited Kilmacanogue, Co Wicklow 087 1374153
    Eco-Ireland Blackdown, Kilteel, Naas, Co Kildare 01 4582560
    Element Green Acorn Business Campus, Mahon Industrial Park, Blackrock, Cork 021 4326153
    Jackie Smyth/Linda Harrison Ballyhinch, Whitegate, Co Clare 061 927420
    Jimmy Austin Garadice, Kilcock, Co Meath 086 8157058
    Wiggly Wigglers Lower Blakemere Farm, Blakemere, Herefordshire HR2 9PX, UK 0044 1981 500391
    Grown Green Products Killiskey Cross, Ashford, Co Wicklow 0404 49893
    Johnstown Recycling and orm Farm Johnstown, Slanemore, Mullingar, Co Westmeath 086 2599165

Also: http://irishworms.com/
    http://worms.ie/waste.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement