Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to drive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Op would you consider taking out a small loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 L.driver12345

OP here.
    I tried to respond sooner but my reply didnt post, just made an account to reply to everyone.

Thanks so much for all the replies, I appreciate the advice given.
    I did take on board the advice and as suggested I arranged a day with my mother to go driving, she picked the day herself, told me she had to go to the graveyard which is a 2 minute drive from the house on country roads and that I could drive her there when she is going up. She didn't give a specific time or anything. Long story short when it came to the day she no longer wanted to and started a fight with me over it. She is still not speaking to me and I have no idea what I did only ask her to sit in the car with me for 10 - 20 minutes while I drive. It really comes down to her just not wanting to.
    I spoke to my dad about shouting at me in the car when driving and how I really need to learn how to drive but finding it difficult as I cant practice. He told me that I should of been ready to take a test after my 12 lessons and shouldnt need practice, said lots of people who dont have a family car learn how to drive and said I want this handed to me on a plate - Ive never had anything handed to me on a plate in my life, I never ask my parents for anything so was really hurt by this comment. I said to him that I thought they would want to help me learn but he just laughed at me.

So thats that, I cannot go to them for any help or support which is fine but I wish they had of made this clear before putting me on the car insurance. I am on social welfare and trying to pay this off yet I cant even drive the car so its a complete waste of money.

So now im looking up cars and loans and I just dont know how to go about buying a car at all. If I take out a loan I will have an extra 2 - 5k to pay in interest. I wont be able to drive the car alone until I take a test which im no where nearly ready to do and besides that, theres such a backlog for testing it could be the middle of next year. Then theres the issue of needing the car for getting a job so im worried that if I didnt get a job between now and next year how will I pay off the loan as im only getting 203 a week, im finding it really difficult to get a job without a full license.

If I do see a car I could buy how do I get it to my house if I cant drive it? How do I know the car is in good enough condition and wont need work done to it? This whole process is stressful and confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,223 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

OP. Giving your current situation I’d just focus on doing loads of lessons with any instructor you can get or ask a relative for help. (This may mean you getting a bus or something to meet them.)

When your purchasing a car.
    You might bring a mechanic with you or sometimes you’ve to use a bit of common sense and take a chance. Research thing online such as “What to look out for when buying a car?”
    I also think you are overthinking things a little and need to relax a little. ( I was like that when I was about twenty but I grew out of it.)

Edit if you need to get a car to your house. Ask somebody who’ll be insured or will accompany you or get some mechanic with a transporter to bring it to your house. However I wouldn’t recommend rushing off buying a car the way your set up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

OP. Giving your current situation I’d just focus on doing loads of lessons with any instructor you can get or ask a relative for help. (This may mean you getting a bus or something to meet them.)

When your purchasing a car.
    You might bring a mechanic with you or sometimes you’ve to use a bit of common sense and take a chance. Research thing online such as “What to look out for when buying a car?”
    I also think you are overthinking things a little and need to relax a little. ( I was like that when I was about twenty but I grew out of it.)

Edit if you need to get a car to your house. Ask somebody who’ll be insured or will accompany you or get some mechanic with a transporter to bring it to your house. However I wouldn’t recommend rushing off buying a car the way your set up now.

Think the OP stated a number of times they dont have any close relatives or anyone to practice with, why harp on telling them to ask a relative??

What would getting a bus to someone do? The OP would still need to be insured on their car to drive it. Would you let a learner driver who you wearnt at all close to drive your car without insurance?
    Doesnt sound like the OP can afford to take out more insurance on another car anyway and if they did find someone to let them do this, they might only get to drive once in a blue moon if lucky.

Ive never heard of a mechanic accompanying someone who is buying a car unless they personally knew the mechanic. Im under the impression that the OP doesnt have much of a support network so relying on other people to help them doesnt seem like an option.

It sounds like the OP is asking how they can learn to drive and buy a decent car without having to rely on other people.

Think the OP stated a number of times they dont have any close relatives or anyone to practice with, why harp on telling them to ask a relative??

What would getting a bus to someone do? The OP would still need to be insured on their car to drive it. Would you let a learner driver who you wearnt at all close to drive your car without insurance?
    Doesnt sound like the OP can afford to take out more insurance on another car anyway and if they did find someone to let them do this, they might only get to drive once in a blue moon if lucky.

Ive never heard of a mechanic accompanying someone who is buying a car unless they personally knew the mechanic. Im under the impression that the OP doesnt have much of a support network so relying on other people to help them doesnt seem like an option.

It sounds like the OP is asking how they can learn to drive and buy a decent car without having to rely on other people.

As I said he or she needs just to do loads of lessons with instructors and this is the only way
    I can see for the OP going by what they are saying.

I suppose they could get the bus to somebodies house who may help them out. I know if I asked my auntie when I was younger she’d have helped me but it would have been a 90 + minute bus each way. I don’t think the OP is really thinking outside of the box.

I know lots of young people who got the family mechanic to look at their first car for them but they just had to ask and give them a few euro for doing it and my other advice stand regarding getting the car to their house, etc
    If the OP has no support the instructor option is the only one I can see. I’ve given them loads of advice about asking people, etc but I don’t think they want to really.
    Have you any advice for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭crazylady1

Hi OP. Have you applied for the test yet? If not apply now. If the waiting list is really long best get on it. It will give you a date to work towards. Get a few more professional lessons in the meantime to keep your skills up. It's been a long time since I did my test but I remember getting the advice that it's 20 minutes of perfect driving and I found that to be true. I think you're overthinking the test. I remember learning with lessons. I had about 12 I think and I did my test soon after and passed.
    If I was you I would be putting more focus on moving out. Your parents sound fairly toxic. You should research toxic and narcissist parents. I think at the moment you can't see the wood from the trees. You meed to break things down and take one step at a time. Best of luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

As I said he or she needs just to do loads of lessons with instructors and this is the only way
    I can see for the OP going by what they are saying.

I suppose they could get the bus to somebodies house who may help them out. I know if I asked my auntie when I was younger she’d have helped me but it would have been a 90 + minute bus each way. I don’t think the OP is really thinking outside of the box.

I know lots of young people who got the family mechanic to look at their first car for them but they just had to ask and give them a few euro for doing it and my other advice stand regarding getting the car to their house, etc
    If the OP has no support the instructor option is the only one I can see.
    Have you any advice for them?

What youre really saying is the OP isnt trying hard enough in your view. The OP has stated several times they dont have anyone else, their family isnt close. Its great that you had an aunt that was willing to help you but jt sounds like the OP doesnt have that.
    Who has a 'family mechanic'? ive genuinely never heard of such of thing. Anyway, the op's family isnt close and going by the parents reaction to them askin for help, it's very unlikely the OP will have access to a 'family mechanic'.
    Lessons can only teach you the basics.

OP invest in a car atleast if you have that it gives you more opportunities to practice even if its just reversing by yourself in the drive way.

What youre really saying is the OP isnt trying hard enough in your view. The OP has stated several times they dont have anyone else, their family isnt close. Its great that you had an aunt that was willing to help you but jt sounds like the OP doesnt have that.
    Who has a 'family mechanic'? ive genuinely never heard of such of thing. Anyway, the op's family isnt close and going by the parents reaction to them askin for help, it's very unlikely the OP will have access to a 'family mechanic'.
    Lessons can only teach you the basics.

OP invest in a car atleast if you have that it gives you more opportunities to practice even if its just reversing by yourself in the drive way.

I have friends that that passed their tests with only lessons off their instructor. I’ve seen it in the learning to drive forum. It’s fairly common in the UK.
    Yes it’s great I had aunt who’d have helped me but I wonder would the OP think of somebody who lives an hour or two away?
    The OP has stated lots of things I was really on their side originally. Even when I suggested doing a few pre tests to get them used to the test routes and find out their faults they completely ruled it out.
    Some people with older second hand cars stick to going to the same mechanic all the time and he’d offer support when buying a car some times.
    I also suggested researching buying a car online and what to look out for.
    If they are looking for advice about how to buy a car this really isn’t the forum for it.

What use is a car to OP in their current situation if they’ve nobody to take them out apart from a driving instructor? When all they can do is move it on the drive way.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Op I’m really sorry that you don’t have the support you need at home. I think for your own sake, drop the subject entirely with your parents, it’s just creating more stress for you.

Call the insurance company and cancel your cover on your parents car, they will refund the premium for the rest of the year. Just check who the payment goes to, it will probably be sent to the policy owner.

Call your instructor and book twice weekly lessons so you are going out every 3-4 days. Do NOT buy a car until you pass your test. If you don’t have someone who will travel with you, then a car will just be a pile of money sitting in the driveway doing nothing. If you feel like you are not making progress with your instructor, book another instructor and tell them you want to get test ready.

Your money would be much better spent on lessons every few days rather than buying and insuring a car.

Humour Me wrote: »
    Op I’m really sorry that you don’t have the support you need at home. I think for your own sake, drop the subject entirely with your parents, it’s just creating more stress for you.

Call the insurance company and cancel your cover on your parents car, they will refund the premium for the rest of the year. Just check who the payment goes to, it will probably be sent to the policy owner.

Call your instructor and book twice weekly lessons so you are going out every 3-4 days. Do NOT buy a car until you pass your test. If you don’t have someone who will travel with you, then a car will just be a pile of money sitting in the driveway doing nothing. If you feel like you are not making progress with your instructor, book another instructor and tell them you want to get test ready.

Your money would be much better spent on lessons every few days rather than buying and insuring a car.

Fantastic advice there OP!

Going by what you said this is your only option I'd say!

• Advertisement

Thanks again everyone.

@Freshpopcorn I have considered all my options but I really do not have family that can help me but thank you for the suggestion.
    @ Humour me - This is great advice, thank you.

The thing is im quite a good driver when in the instructors car as I feel more at ease. When I drive a car unassisted I make more mistakes and panic. I am a different driver in my instructors car.
    I was considering buying a car and then I could continue getting lessons in that car instead of the instructors car.

I was unaware I could get a refund on the policy, when my mother starts speaking to me again I will say it to her.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I was considering buying a car and then I could continue getting lessons in that car instead of the instructors car.

Forgive me not knowledgeable on cars non driver.

But would the opposite not be far cheaper?

Also do instructors actually do this?

Most instructors I know of give lessons in the persons car. Once they the student is some way competent. It's can be a few euro cheaper.

Most instructors I know of give lessons in the persons car. Once they the student is some way competent. It's can be a few euro cheaper.
    can't believe i didn't know this :o

I was considering if I did it this way it might give me more confidence and practice driving unassisted? In the instructors car she has a clutch break and accelerator on the passenger side, even though im driving I dont have full responsibility of the car. I think thats why im more nervous and worse driving unassisted because I have little experience driving with full responsibility.
    I will have to get a car anyway so why not get it now then when I finally do get my full licence my insurance will come down in price.

Saying this I dont want to put my instructor or other road users at risk.
    I am worried too that my parents might become angry if I buy a car. They are very controlling.

I was considering if I did it this way it might give me more confidence and practice driving unassisted? In the instructors car she has a clutch break and accelerator on the passenger side, even though im driving I dont have full responsibility of the car. I think thats why im more nervous and worse driving unassisted because I have little experience driving with full responsibility.
    I will have to get a car anyway so why not get it now then when I finally do get my full licence my insurance will come down in price.

I am worried too that my parents might become angry if I buy a car. They are very controlling.
    Have a think then do what is best for you.

Maybe ask an instructor for their advice ? :)

GL x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

I did only a few lessons in an instructors car about ten years ago before going out in my own. However my instructor only used the clutch and break when I needed assistance and then he explained to me why he used them. Does your instructor do this or do they always use the pedal's for you? I know people who changed instructors because of this issue.
    Have you discussed about getting a car with your instructor and is she willing to accompany you in your car?
    How many lessons have you done and are you progressing? Sometimes a change of instructor can help in my exoerience.
    Your first years insurance will be rather expensive even with a full license. Just remember to factor in all the costs of running, maintaining, etc a car before you buy one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

'I've have had difficulty getting work and after receiving feedback from a job application that the reason I didn't get the job was because I didn't have my own transport, I decided it was about time that I started to learn how to drive.'

Just going right back to your first post.
    Was it stipulated on the job ad, 'must have clean licence' for example. Because otherwise it seems a strange reason to turn you down. And if it did stipulate that, then you were on a hiding to nothing applying for that particular job.

There seems to be a lot more going on here, tbh. I suggest looking at some other angle because your parents seem quite determined to stand in your way when it comes to the driving.

Could you move elsewhere, in order to get a job? Any relative or friend that lives in a town, or on a good transport route, willing to give you a bed / couch for a while, to help you to get into the workplace, and ultimately more independence?

Don't give up on the driving, it's a life skill that will always be useful. Look at how else you might move on from your current situation. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Don't give up on the driving, it's a life skill that will always be useful. Look at how else you might move on from your current situation. Best of luck.

+1 to the above OP. Driving is a life skill and good to have but I worry its a distraction from other issues. Did you only have one job interview say a license was needed? Is it something that is needed for the area(s) you are looking for work in?

I would be concerned you are getting a lot of focus on getting a car and putting yourself in debt but will find yourself at the exact same spot looking for work after doing all that. Keep learning to drive but maybe take a step back from being so focused on it and look at what else you can do to help in the job hunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Thank you everyone for the helpful replies, I very much appreciate you taking the time.
    This thread has given me lots to think about and I think I will bite the bullet and book a test within the next week. Theres such a backlog it will be next year by the time I do it anyway and if I feel im not ready when the time comes, I can always reschedule but it gives me something to work towards so definitely worth booking.

As for getting my own car, the insurance on my mothers car has already gone through so at the minute I cant afford to take out insurance on another car + the cost of buying a car and all the other costs that go along with it which I priced as working out at about 8 - 10K.

It was suggested that I buy an old cheap car but as a first time driver I wont be able to get insurance on a car thats over 10 years old and the older and cheaper the car, the more expensive the insurance so either way buying a starter car on the cheap isnt an option. Ive gotten insurance quotes of up to 6.5K, the cheapest I came across was 3k and thats with a small 1.2 ltr relatively new second hand car from 2016 up. The car itself cost 4k.

It's just not a feasible option right now unfortunately but hopefully by Christmas I can start thinking about it.

Sorry I dont know where you are getting this from but I think you need to do some more research.

You absolutely CAN get insured on a car that is 10 years or older, yes it is a bit more difficult but do able, and if you put your parents on as named drivers it will bring down your premium.

I'm a learner driver and I bought a 08 semi automatic this year and got fully comprehensive insurance with one 55+ older family member as named driver and my premium was 1800e, car itself was less than 3K.

My instructor has said he is happy to go out with me in my car, he has assessed me to a standard that he's happy to do this.

I was also told by 3 different instructors over the years that I was never going to improve further without my own car and they were correct. It just clicked when i had my own car.

scrumqueen wrote: »
    Sorry I dont know where you are getting this from but I think you need to do some more research.

You absolutely CAN get insured on a car that is 10 years or older, yes it is a bit more difficult but do able, and if you put your parents on as named drivers it will bring down your premium.

I'm a learner driver and I bought a 08 semi automatic this year and got fully comprehensive insurance with one 55+ older family member as named driver and my premium was 1800e, car itself was less than 3K.

My instructor has said he is happy to go out with me in my car, he has assessed me to a standard that he's happy to do this.

I was also told by 3 different instructors over the years that I was never going to improve further without my own car and they were correct. It just clicked when i had my own car.

Thanks for replying I rang around different insurance companies and they all told me that the car should be under 10 years old as a first time driver I wont get insured on an older car.
    It sounds like you were able to get insured on an older car because your parents helped you out. I dont have a named driver to put down and my parents arent helping me.

Thanks for replying I rang around different insurance companies and they all told me that the car should be under 10 years old as a first time driver I wont get insured on an older car.
    It sounds like you were able to get insured on an older car because your parents helped you out. I dont have a named driver to put down and my parents arent helping me.

My parents didn't help me out. The car is registered in my name and insured as me the primary owner, you can add additional drivers to bring down your quote. I got mine from the AA, and i received quotes from a few others.

I assume, since your parents were willing to have you on their insurance adding them as named drivers to your insurance in order to bring down your quote shouldn't be a big ask, wont cost them anything.

What age are you OP?

My parents didn't help me out. The car is registered in my name and insured as me the primary owner, you can add additional drivers to bring down your quote. I got mine from the AA, and i received quotes from a few others.

I assume, since your parents were willing to have you on their insurance adding them as named drivers to your insurance in order to bring down your quote shouldn't be a big ask, wont cost them anything.

Thanks scrumqueen for this info. I know my parents arent going to help me, its not even about the money its just the way they are. They put me on the insurance and I payed for it but wont allow me to drive the car. Its very hard to explain as I know its probably not the usual type of experience that people have with their parents or family members, they just dont want to help. I really need to find a way to do this entirely on my own without the help of anyone because I really dont know people that can help. Im quiet, introverted and wouldnt have a very big social circle. My family is small and I only see extended family at funerals. I know a few comments have said that im not thinking outside the box and should get a bus to someone but I dont have anyone, I have no reason to lie here im just saying the facts. I can only rely on myself, putting anyone on the insurance, asking friends or family to help with practice I cant do any of that.

I just want to know how I can do it without the assistance of other people because it feels a bit hopeless and feel like I keep running into brick walls.

Thanks scrumqueen for this info. I know my parents arent going to help me, its not even about the money its just the way they are. They put me on the insurance and I payed for it but wont allow me to drive the car. Its very hard to explain as I know its probably not the usual type of experience that people have with their parents or family members, they just dont want to help. I really need to find a way to do this entirely on my own without the help of anyone because I really dont know people that can help. Im quiet, introverted and wouldnt have a very big social circle. My family is small and I only see extended family at funerals. I know a few comments have said that im not thinking outside the box and should get a bus to someone but I dont have anyone, I have no reason to lie here im just saying the facts. I can only rely on myself, putting anyone on the insurance, asking friends or family to help with practice I cant do any of that.

I just want to know how I can do it without the assistance of other people because it feels a bit hopeless and feel like I keep running into brick walls.

OK, fair enough. Look families can be difficult, and I have come across parents like yours before and worse. As one of the other posters above pointed out, and I'd agree, maybe you should try get a different job that doesn't require driving. That way, you can build up some savings while living at home and get financially independent and away from your parents. Then focus on the driving when you have the means to not have to be in a position to ask your family for anything.

OK, fair enough. Look families can be difficult, and I have come across parents like yours before and worse. As one of the other posters above pointed out, and I'd agree, maybe you should try get a different job that doesn't require driving. That way, you can build up some savings while living at home and get financially independent and away from your parents. Then focus on the driving when you have the means to not have to be in a position to ask your family for anything.

I know ive been trying to get different jobs, ill keep looking.
    Thanks

Going by this OP. Your only option is to get as my lessons with an instructor as possible.
    Unless you advertise somewhere or ask a neighbor will they sit into a car with you and accompany you but you’d be paying them also.
    Often if you ring insurance companies they’ll give you a quote. I’m helping somebody learn to drive at the moment and they got a comprehensive quote with AXA for €2000 on a twelve year old car. They were over 25 tough and it didn’t cost anything to put me on their insurance as a names driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

Hi OP,

God I really feel for you, your parents sound so unsupportive. Learning to drive now is a totally different thing thing to what it was 20 years ago when I learned or your parents learned. It is so much more expensive and so onerous. What struck me though is how horrible your parents sound. So I am going to go totally rogue here and suggest you look for a job in a town or city where you can rent a room in a house share and move away from them. If you live in a town/city there will be less immediate need to learn. Working and living away you might even build up a support network of friends through work and a house share.

Do you have qualifications? Is there a reason why you are still living at home? Is moving to a town or city something you might consider.

I know its a scary prospect to move away from an unhealthy family dynamic (I've done it) but I would fear if you don't you will be in exactly the same place in 5 or 10 years....

I know its hard to save a deposit but perhaps a local community welfare officer could help.

I don't think you can get through life without the assistance of others to be honest. So maybe focus on getting away from this unhealthy and lonely house and getting out into the world to find your tribe. Trust me when i say it is not impossible at all

• Advertisement

Just wanted to pop on and thank everyone again for all the replies because you all really made me think about my situation from another perspective.

I spoke to my driving instructor and he advised me to buy a car so thats what I have done and I actually got a really good deal on the car but especially the insurance.
    Because I had insurance taken out with the same company on my parents car I was able to get a cheaper quote and will be able to get refunded the money spent on the other insurance. In the end I spent way under what I had expected so im really pleased.

Ive also signed up for a part time course.
    Ive redone my cv and from tomorrow will start posting it and handing it into places so fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Advertisement