Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Green list destinations... Been and back? Recommend?

• 25-08-2020 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Interested to hear people's recent experience of travelling to green list countries, specifically Greece or Italy. On the fence re booking a September break with two young kids and would love to hear from others on what the travel and in-country holiday experience has been like. Any recommendations welcome also!

Note. Not interested in hearing views on whether travel is appropriate at this time or not... As a family, we will weigh up all risks and take an appropriate decision.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Travelling with young kids I don't know why people do it looks a nightmare
    My friend would love to go away but until they at least 1st class
    Go soon before they lock down again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Been to Budapest and back (on my own) COVID cases there are still under 5/100k/14 days. Life is pretty well normal bar face masks indoors and on public transport.

Cases in Italy are now way above the Green list threshold so watch out.

Through a combination of frequent flyer status and knowledge of Aer Lingus seat allocation rules all 4 COVID era flights I have made have given me a 3 seats to myself and few if any around me.

Simple question,
    Imagine you get sick while on holiday? You could pick it up before travel or in country. You need a plan for how you would cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Been to Budapest and back (on my own) COVID cases there are still under 5/100k/14 days. Life is pretty well normal bar face masks indoors and on public transport.

Simple question,
    Imagine you get sick while on holiday? You could pick it up before travel or in country. You need a plan for how you would cope.

Good points, thanks. Wasn't aware Italy was that high. Getting sick abroad is always a risk but obviously it is elevated this year. Getting abroad is tempting but may not be worth the hassle so that's why I was interested in hearing experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Through a combination of frequent flyer status and knowledge of Aer Lingus seat allocation rules all 4 COVID era flights I have made have given me a 3 seats to myself and few if any around me.

Simple question,

not really, they are still way below Ireland cases per 100,000 population.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

i advise anyone to have the European health insurance card,it's free and will cover you in the EU.

Good points, thanks. Wasn't aware Italy was that high. Getting sick abroad is always a risk but obviously it is elevated this year. Getting abroad is tempting but may not be worth the hassle so that's why I was interested in hearing experiences.

Italy are still way behind Ireland per cases 100,000 population so this is incorrect.

• Advertisement

The green list threshold was set at 5/100k/14 days

Italy is way beyond this now

Only two countries meet the original threshold, Lativa and Hungary

Sure Ireland never even bothered updating the green list so how do you know this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ireland is way beyond that now. Do we all need to move to Latvia until things calm down a bit?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Ireland is blacklisted around many European state's. Check the local foreign affairs page before you book anything. Otherwise 2 weeks mandatory isolation on arrival.

More's to the point what is the actual point in having a so called green list if Ireland arent going to review it every week and add in countries which are lower rates than Ireland or take off those countries which have seen huge spikes,pointless.

• Advertisement

Limpy wrote: »
    Ireland is blacklisted around many European state's. Check the local foreign affairs page before you book anything. Otherwise 2 weeks mandatory isolation on arrival.

not in Italy it isnt i checked.

this is the website they base their decisions on nothing else

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

jonnny68 wrote: »
    not in Italy it isnt i checked.

Your laughing so, go for it you won't regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

just back from italy and for familes on a campsite its grand. Pools have slightly reduced capacity (not an issue in September) and if on the beach it'll also be fine. You just have to wear masks in any shops and in a restaurant going to your table. They have a new policy that requires masks in busy outdoor places in the evenings after 6pm but thats fairly localised. All in all though its not much of an imposition and they are just getting on with it.

As alluded to above,.there has been a spate of cases in italy associated with teenagers and young adults partying especially in outdoor nightclubs. Aside from the fact that you wouldnt be at those places with say a 3 year old, they are now closed. Even Briatore (former F1 team owner) who spent last week calling the government fools for banning his "billionaire" club, has the virus from his club, as does a professional football player friend of his who was partying with him. Further afield, Usain bolt has the virus , from partying. There was a spate of cases in Serbia there too, where indoor nightclubs were open as if nothing was happening. And in Ireland, you cant go on holiday, the pubs are safe but overly restrictive, so the virus then spreads via house parties.

Anyhow, thats now ended, the numbers should stabilise and on a holiday outdoors at a family campsite you have little chance of catching anything from the party loving natives.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

just back from italy and for familes on a campsite its grand. Pools have slightly reduced capacity (not an issue in September) and if on the beach it'll also be fine. You just have to wear masks in any shops and in a restaurant going to your table. They have a new policy that requires masks in busy outdoor places in the evenings after 6pm but thats fairly localised. All in all though its not much of an imposition and they are just getting on with it.

As alluded to above,.there has been a spate of cases in italy associated with teenagers and young adults partying especially in outdoor nightclubs. Aside from the fact that you wouldnt be at those places with say a 3 year old, they are now closed. Even Briatore (former F1 team owner) who spent last week calling the government fools for banning his "billionaire" club, has the virus from his club, as does a professional football player friend of his who was partying with him. Further afield, Usain bolt has the virus , from partying. There was a spate of cases in Serbia there too, where indoor nightclubs were open as if nothing was happening. And in Ireland, you cant go on holiday, the pubs are safe but overly restrictive, so the virus then spreads via house parties.

Anyhow, thats now ended, the numbers should stabilise and on a holiday outdoors at a family campsite you have little chance of catching anything from the party loving natives.

Thanks for sharing... Good to hear your experience. Hope you'd a nice holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Yep as i posted on the other thread i too was in Italy for a break and it was fabalous, highly recomemnded, you wont regret it go soon while you get the chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Heading to greece next week, just got my EHIC card, also only found out today that I've to fill out a form in advance of travelling to Greece apparently? At least 24 hours before travel.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Heading to greece next week, just got my EHIC card, also only found out today that I've to fill out a form in advance of travelling to Greece apparently? At least 24 hours before travel.

i got mine in the post within 7 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

also only found out today that I've to fill out a form in advance of travelling to Greece apparently? At least 24 hours before travel.

Make sure you have that form done before you travel, otherwise you’ll be refused boarding at the gate by the airline.
    The Greeks have stepped up testing at the airport so there’s a high chance you’ll get tested upon arrival. Probably due to Ireland’s higher rate of Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭larchielads

Thinkin of italy in late october, any cheap cities to go to, basically the city with the cheapest drink??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Menorca, not on the green list but should, felt safer there than in the local tesco, the island is paradise and at 40% capacity so pretty quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Make sure you have that form done before you travel, otherwise you’ll be refused boarding at the gate by the airline.
    The Greeks have stepped up testing at the airport so there’s a high chance you’ll get tested upon arrival. Probably due to Ireland’s higher rate of Covid.

Im due to fly to Crete with RYanair, where do I get the form, fill in etc

Thanks

Download the visit Greece app on your iPhone or Android, it’s on there.

Otherwise it’s on the Greek travel / foreign affairs website called - PLF.

Download the visit Greece app on your iPhone or Android, it’s on there.

Otherwise it’s on the Greek travel / foreign affairs website called - PLF.

Registered using a PC

their communication is a little confusing
    "you will receive the PLF document with the QR code on the day of your scheduled arrival in Greece (at midnight). You will be notified again via email and this URL will be automatically updated. The PLF document is only valid with the QR code. If travel departure begins prior to the day of arrival, travelers are allowed to board after showing the confirmation email (and not necessarily the QR code which is scheduled to arrive during their trip)."

I rang the PLF helpdesk 00302155605151, and they said I will receive the QR code, the day before I arrive in Greece

k123456 wrote: »
    Im due to fly to Crete with RYanair, where do I get the form, fill in etc

Yea make sure you do otherwise it will be the shortest holiday you've ever had.

The Greeks have ramped up testing so be ready to get swabbed...

https://travel.gov.gr/#/

It sure is K I’ll agree with you. Our flight is this Friday morning at 6:40am so I am bloody well hoping they send us the code at Thursday midnight!

I can’t even print anything off except the emails to say we filled out a PLF.

Did you just fill one out?

I only filled the one for myself and girlfriend who live together, again that was confusing with the whole household section.

Registered using a PC
    their communication is a little confusing
    "you will receive the PLF document with the QR code on the day of your scheduled arrival in Greece (at midnight). You will be notified again via email and this URL will be automatically updated. The PLF document is only valid with the QR code. If travel departure begins prior to the day of arrival, travelers are allowed to board after showing the confirmation email (and not necessarily the QR code which is scheduled to arrive during their trip)."
    I rang the PLF helpdesk 00302155605151, and they said I will receive the QR code, the day before I arrive in Greece

Yea that's how it works, you'll get an email with the Barcode at 10pm Irish time the day before you travel, so make sure you print out the form and keep it with your passport.

It sure is K I’ll agree with you. Our flight is this Friday morning at 6:40am so I am bloody well hoping they send us the code at Thursday midnight!
    I only filled the one for myself and girlfriend who live together, again that was confusing with the whole household section.

You'll get the barcode at 10pm irish time so will be grand, and you have your partner as the 2nd person on your form so that's grand once are from the same household.. it's detailed on the form anyways.
    Don't print it out, just keep the email on your phone.

I filled in one PLF , for me , my four year old son and Girlfriend
    according to the helpdesk, I need to fill in another PLF for my GF

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Yea make sure you do otherwise it will be the shortest holiday you've ever had.

The Greeks have ramped up testing so be ready to get swabbed...

https://travel.gov.gr/#/

I think swab is only for arrivals from

Announcement regarding flights from Sweden, Belgium, Spain, Albania and the Republic of North Macedonia to Greece.

Passengers of flights from Bulgaria, Romania, U.A.E. and Malta (as of August 11, 2020 until 15 September 2020) and passengers of flights from Sweden, Belgium, Spain, Albania and the Republic of North Macedonia (as of August 17, 2020 until 15 September 2020) to Greece will be required to have a negative molecular test result (PCR) for COVID-19, performed up to 72 hours before their entry to Greece.

Depending on their QR code/confirmation, travelers are directed either to the screening area where they will be tested for the new coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 by a trained health team or to the exit (to baggage claim area or passport control).

Just a PS, i register using a PC on https://travel.gov.gr/
    when I try to sign onto the visit greece App, does not recognise me

I think swab is only for arrivals from
    Announcement regarding flights from Sweden, Belgium, Spain, Albania and the Republic of North Macedonia to Greece.
    Passengers of flights from Bulgaria, Romania, U.A.E. and Malta (as of August 11, 2020 until 15 September 2020) and passengers of flights from Sweden, Belgium, Spain, Albania and the Republic of North Macedonia (as of August 17, 2020 until 15 September 2020) to Greece will be required to have a negative molecular test result (PCR) for COVID-19, performed up to 72 hours before their entry to Greece.
    Depending on their QR code/confirmation, travelers are directed either to the screening area where they will be tested for the new coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 by a trained health team or to the exit (to baggage claim area or passport control).
    Just a PS, i register using a PC on https://travel.gov.gr/
    when I try to sign onto the visit greece App, does not recognise me

Well, I've flown to Greece twice this year, once from Berlin and once from Dublin, I was waved on through from the Berlin flight, however the Dublin flight was directed over to the scan/testing area and every 2nd or 3rd person was tested...

I've not used the Visit Greece app, only registered to get the code...

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

I'm currently in Corfu, Greece. I flew from Dublin with aerlingus. They were testing most people on our flight, I would guess that over half of us were tested. I travelled with my boyfriend and we were on the one PLF form, so only one of us had to take the covid test. It took a few seconds. Nothing to worry about.

rorrissey wrote: »
    I'm currently in Corfu, Greece. I flew from Dublin with aerlingus. They were testing most people on our flight, I would guess that over half of us were tested. I travelled with my boyfriend and we were on the one PLF form, so only one of us had to take the covid test. It took a few seconds. Nothing to worry about.

Try and get to the airport at least 2 hours before your flight, the passport check to get to the Gate is an absolute disgrace, worst i've ever seen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

When’s the next update of the Green List due?

• Advertisement

Talk of tomorrow (Tuesday) to migrate to the EU based model which would open up a large chunk of EU.

Problem is Ireland current state isn't exactly great so we might be going nowhere

Talk of tomorrow (Tuesday) to migrate to the EU based model which would open up a large chunk of EU.

Problem is Ireland current state isn't exactly great so we might be going nowhere

life goes oin you cant just keep restrictions forever.

im sure at this stage the majority of people travelling know to sanatize hands, wear a mask and keep distance where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

The updated green list is to be published today and will take an effect from Monday. Sweden, Germany, Poland, Cyprus and few others are to be added to it. I'm flying to Poland next week Sunday, so happy that it is being added to the green list.

But, like you said, Ireland doesn't look good at the moment and some countries will start putting it on their orange/red list soon enough.

SB71 wrote: »
    life goes oin you cant just keep restrictions forever.

im sure at this stage the majority of people travelling know to sanatize hands, wear a mask and keep distance where possible.

Absolutely, travel is possible, you just need to take all precautions which we are all aware of at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭mel123

JojoLoca wrote: »
    The updated green list is to be published today and will take an effect from Monday. Sweden, Germany, Poland, Cyprus and few others are to be added to it. I'm flying to Poland next week Sunday, so happy that it is being added to the green list.

But, like you said, Ireland doesn't look good at the moment and some countries will start putting it on their orange/red list soon enough.

Where did you see the list that is due to be published? Id like to book a flight ahead of the list announcement when the flight prices will go up I'm guessing

• Advertisement

mel123 wrote: »
    Where did you see the list that is due to be published? Id like to book a flight ahead of the list announcement when the flight prices will go up I'm guessing

It's been shared across all news websites. Here is from Independent:

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/a-real-green-list-new-countries-added-as-advice-on-avoiding-non-essential-travel-amended-39536394.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The government website is updated with the new list: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/8868e-view-the-covid-19-travel-advice-list/

Absolutely, travel is possible, you just need to take all precautions which we are all aware of at this stage.

Im a bit confused. Will it be ok to fly out from Dublin, even though they are saying essential travel only? Will you be questioned at airport, that kind of thing?

Also, cant really find any info, but is The Netherlands on the green list?

Was hoping to go to Rotterdam for a few days, so not sure if it's possible now

Jake1 wrote: »

No. Link to the latest version of green list on the post just above yours.

Essentially to avoid restrictions both ways we are only left with Poland and Germany.

Bob24 wrote: »
    No. Link to the latest version of green list on the post just above yours.

Essentially to avoid restrictions both ways we are only left with Poland and Germany.

Crap. stuck home for another while then so :( ANy idea how long this phase three might last, Bob?

Im a bit confused. Will it be ok to fly out from Dublin, even though they are saying essential travel only? Will you be questioned at airport, that kind of thing?
    Was hoping to go to Rotterdam for a few days, so not sure if it's possible now

No one will question you at the airport...

And Although Ireland doesn't allow Dutch tourists, I don't see anything that suggests Irish visitors are restricted...

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/NLD

Crap. stuck home for another while then so :( ANy idea how long this phase three might last, Bob?

The current rule is that any country above 25 cases per 100000 over the past 14 days is excluded from the green list. You can see the figure for all European countries here: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Given that most countries are above the threshold already and things seem to be getting worse in most European countries ATM, unless the rule changes I’d say the green list will be shrinking rather than growing over the coming weeks.

But there is also a lot of pressure to change the rule so hard to tell ...

The current rule is that any country above 25 cases per 100000 over the past 14 days is excluded from the green list. You can see the figure for all European countries here: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Given that most countries are above the threshold already and things seem to be getting worse in most of Europe ATM, unless the rule changes I’d say the list will be shrinking rather than growing over the coming weeks (and perhaps ironically, if other counties are applying the same rule as ours this would exclude Ireland from their green list as we are currently above 25).

But there is also a lot of pressure to change the rule so hard to tell ...

Phase 3 have nothing to do with the green list and foreign travel; it gives recommendation in relation to domestic travel only. You are free to fly to non green list countries (including Netherlands), but you will be asked to restrict your movements on the return (not legally binding). There could also be restrictions on the arrival in other countries, but as someone already said, doesn't seem like there are any in Netherlands for Irish citizens.

=You are free to fly to non green list countries (including Netherlands), but you will be asked to restrict your movements on the return

No-one will prevent you from flying, but I believe the the government still says travel should be avoided unless it is essential (which I think might have practical implications in terms of things like travel insurance shall something go wrong).

• Advertisement
Advertisement